Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 27th, 2018, 9:59 am

So we're agreed, we'll just stop distribution of groceries then.
Because before they built that distribution center twenty years ago, we were all sustenance farmers and nobody else had figured out distribution of groceries yet. It was a dark age.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 27th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Even if only a fraction of the supervalue land gets redeveloped I would still be contempt since now that the area around Blake is undergoing a fair bit of redeveloped, I would argue that the land on the south side of excelsior blvd is one of the if not the most areas that could benefit with some redeveloped in Hopkins.

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » July 28th, 2018, 2:39 pm

So we're agreed, we'll just stop distribution of groceries then.
Is food wholesaling a unique type of wholesaling that makes it a worse thing to warehouse in the massive speculative warehouses being built on farmland at the fringe of the metro, such as the ones that have been built in Rogers waiting for someone to fill?

It’s not a far fetched scenario of a new owner moving warehouse operations to cheaper locations on the edge, and selling off the high value land. That’s not even close to shutting down all food distribution.

Supervalu did just complete a tiny wing on their Hopkins west building, on the side facing 169, where they moved their kitchen labs into. I wonder if that group even survives...
Last edited by Anondson on July 28th, 2018, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » July 28th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Dupe?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 29th, 2018, 8:23 am

There are a lot of factors in play because Cub will be up for sale. If the buyer already has a strong distribution network, then there may be a reduced need for the Hopkins DC.

That being said, the Hopkins DC is the largest in the Supervalu network, and the building isn't that old. It is probably an ideal property from the grocery distribution standpoint. Also, they would have to find a buyer who would be able to redevelop the property which is roughly the size of the Downtown Hopkins area. Additionally, SW LRT isn't a done deal quite yet, and the current federal leadership have been pretty successful at keeping transit projects at bay.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 29th, 2018, 8:55 am

Do we know if the buyer has any distribution facilities near the Twin Cities before they buy Supervalu? They are a distributor for Whole Foods and other natural foods grocers, which we have a few in the area..

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 29th, 2018, 9:20 am

They have one in Prescott WI but it seems smaller. Also Whole Foods could switch to a different or self distribution now that they are owned by Amazon.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » July 31st, 2018, 12:16 pm

Is food wholesaling a unique type of wholesaling that makes it a worse thing to warehouse in the massive speculative warehouses being built on farmland at the fringe of the metro, such as the ones that have been built in Rogers waiting for someone to fill?
Most of those probably don't have the refrigeration and freezer space you would need in a grocery warehouse. Also, for automated facilities, you need different systems than you would for hardlines/softlines. Walmart and Target, for example, use dedicated food distribution centers that are built completely differently than their regular ones.

That said, there's no reason such a facility couldn't be built on the edge of the metro, it's just that they probably wouldn't unless they had a really good reason to replace what they have.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 9th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Demolition of the Cold Storage facility is imminent.

https://www.minnehahacreek.org/about/ne ... nt-hopkins

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » August 10th, 2018, 8:29 pm

I've been thinking, with the Cold Storage site being around 17 acres and assuming the SuperValue site gets fully developed which is around 45-46 acres (2 million sq ft), that's around 62-63 acres from just two sites in Hopkins (and that's ignoring a few others decent size sites). Which considering how small Hopkins is, might change it the most in the coming decade or two compared to the other inner ring suburbs.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 11th, 2018, 8:29 am

These days are an absolute renaissance for Hopkins.

Very happy for it, since I love old downtowns and new urbanism.

20 years ago, who would’ve thought sleepy old Hopkins would be in the thick of things? SWLRT (transportation infrastructure) can really transform an area.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 12th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Maybe it's because I grew up in town and went to school on Mainstreet, but I've long thought Hopkins was due for a renaissance. Too many great buildings and shops for it not to come back. The '80's were lean years, though. I still remember how sad I was when the original Hopkins theater was replaced by a car dealership. Cutting off CR-3 from downtown almost killed it.

Looking back, it seems like dramatically reduced freight rail activity coincided with the surge of interest in downtown Hopkins. Might just be coincidence, though. Likely the intact downtown core itself was very attractive to investors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » August 17th, 2018, 9:20 am

At a recent previous council meeting the city voted to rezone the Pokorny building from Industrial to Mixed Use. The property was recently sold to a person who proposes to redevelop it for skincare clinic offices, the existing hot tube(?) business and another future retail, and three apartment on the second level.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 17th, 2018, 10:03 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 21st, 2018, 7:33 pm

NAPCO relocating from Hopkins to Brooklyn Park as part of a TIF.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ns-to.html

Possibly a really good deal on NAPCO’s part since the building they are in, I believe the Technology Center, is set to be entirely demolished to make way for the Shady Oak Station, 17th Ave extension, park and ride, and additional sites for station area redevelopment.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 24th, 2018, 9:22 am

The Hopkins 2040 Comp Plan Draft is available for review. (129 page .pdf in link)

http://www.hopkinsmn.com/DocumentCenter ... e-Plan-PDF

I’d love to get any of you Minneapolis 2040 veterans to give a glance through.

Planning and Zoning Commission will review this August 28th.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 24th, 2018, 10:21 am

It seems strange to me that the area near Meadowbrook is zoned "Suburban" when it has a traditional street grid and strong current/future transit connectivity.

The Transportation section feels a little bit pulled in two directions. e.g.: "The City of Hopkins is near full development and has nearly all of the miles of minor arterial and collector roads that it will need. However, certain road improvements will be needed at the city and county levels during the next twenty years. However, the city’s major arterial network is for the most part complete." It's like someone wrote the first sentence, someone else tacked on the second, and then the first person came back and tacked on the third.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby David Greene » August 24th, 2018, 11:27 pm

It seems strange to me that the area near Meadowbrook is zoned "Suburban" when it has a traditional street grid and strong current/future transit connectivity.
Interlachen Park? It's a bit of an oddity because it's surrounded by two golf courses, a large private school campus and a light industrial area it's really pretty self-contained and not very well connected to the rest of the city from a pedestrian and transit standpoint. Even with SWLRT the stations will be a bit of a walk.

It's a highly, highly desirable neighborhood primarily because of its isolation/insulation from traffic and therefore is not going to change land use any time soon.

I'm really curious about its history both because of the street grid and the eclectic collection of houses. Many of the structures would fit right in to neighborhood built from the '20's right up into the '60's and '70's.

The Como-Harriet line used to run just to the south between the neighborhood and Interlachen golf club. There's a bike path on the former right-of-way next to the Blake campus. I assume that explains the street grid and older housing stock.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » August 26th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Few odd notes after skimming through the plan:

seems on the proposed land use image they are planning to expand the downtown center a little (always considered downtown Hopkins boxed in between 1st N to Excelsior blvd for the north and south boundaries and 6th ave to 13th as the east and west but that might of just been me), also I wonder if they made this before the news supervalu was possible selling there land cause I suspect they would of zoned it differently if they knew.

Speaking of downtown I wonder what there thinking about doing when they say "Encourage an anchor development at the east end of Mainstreet" (I would argue that at the moment Midnight market is the only thing of note on the east end). There are really three areas at the east end the could be used being the old Honda dealership (specifically the parking lot), park plaza apartment (iirc there was an attempt to do something but it received push back from the residents), and the walser dealership (I haven't anything about using that parcel). Kinda curious on what they will end up doing.

Trail and sidewalk improvements looks promising but I'll wait till we get more info to comment

With regards to multifamily housing I can name a few places that it'll probably fit with existing houses i.e reuse already existing houses, but that's only a handful unless they want to build some new units from the ground up.

Interesting how they singled out central park as a park that needs improving, they have been on a little role recently with Cottageville Park and to a lesser extend with Burnes Park. I know they just added a few pickle ball courts and the Pavilion remodel is going nicely so I am a little extyied to see what they will do since Central is one of the biggest parks in Hopkins and is mostly a grassy field. (while on the subject of parks I kinda wish they could fill in the lot between downtown park and the clock tower plaza so we have a nice sized park in the middle of the city or see if we can move clock tower plaza in front of the future downtown station so we have a nice landmark when getting on/off the train but both are probably unlikely)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 26th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Just going to include the current zoning and proposed.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201808 ... 84650c.png[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201808 ... 004b0f.png[/IMG]