Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » October 20th, 2015, 9:26 pm

SLP and Golden Valley re: West End? Oh, wait..

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 20th, 2015, 10:11 pm

I wish West End borders were cleaned up, but I can't find property along 394 worth it for SLP to give to GV for nearly the same value that SLP would gain from GV. Maybe an office or two from Shelard Park across from General Mills? I dunno, GV seems to like doing this the tough way.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 20th, 2015, 10:17 pm

I wanted to say that the people involved, including the city attorneys, were shocked how relatively easy this process was on the front end.

They all had this look like, "OMG this is going to be a lot of work for staff" now that it's happening. Maps changing, new GIS shape files, updates to comprehensive plans...

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 23rd, 2015, 1:51 pm

From the upcoming Zoning and Planning agenda meeting to be held on Oct 27th. Looking far better than the "massing" images in the previous agenda document. I think I'd be happy in one of those walk ups...

ImageThe Moline by Eric Anondson, on Flickr

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 25th, 2015, 6:05 am

Absolutely LOVE what is going on in my old hometown. Back in the day it seemed like Hopkins was really torn between the quiet bedroom communities of the outer areas and its downtown core. Paralyzed, really. With a not small side of racism. So glad they seem to be going all-in urban. I do worry about the lower-income families, though. Will SWLRT gentrify the Westside apartments area?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 25th, 2015, 7:35 am

After those 690+ units in Richfield got bought I started wondering about the future of Westside. I see Westside becoming attractive for someone to buy and turn market rate soon. I doubt it would go to luxury.

Blake Road will be rebuilt smaller with cycle trails along it. Cottageville park is finished. Minnehaha greenway will soon create a trail connection from Blake through Meadowbrook into Edina. Cold Storage will get a hundreds of market rate. Then add the LRT station across the street from Westside, I don't see how it stays where it rents today if no effort is made to preserve affordable rates near the station area.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 25th, 2015, 11:53 am

I wonder if we'll start to see some of the affordable housing providers stepping in and buying a few of these tired (low end) market rate properties to renovate them and lock-in their affordability. Using the Richfield example, they bought those units at around $60,000 per unit, which is much cheaper than anybody is able to build today. Even if you need to make some major renovations to them, you're still miles ahead of building new.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 28th, 2015, 6:37 am

The Moline recommended for approval by Z&P.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... tment.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 2nd, 2015, 9:20 pm

City council approved The Moline tonight. Demo to start in weeks and groundbreaking in April next year.

241 units.
$1.69/sq. ft. price target for the units. Said to be just less than Doran's Mill and Main pricing.

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » November 2nd, 2015, 10:25 pm

Aji, (damn auto correct!) the Japanese sushi restaurant was at the council meeting seeking a liquor license. That's not the news, what's news is in the past few weeks Aji changed ownership, it's now owned by a Japanese chef who intends to add more focus on other Japanese traditional dishes like noodles and stir fry, in addition to all the sushi varieties.
Last edited by Anondson on November 2nd, 2015, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 2nd, 2015, 10:36 pm

:shock: :o :P

Those are my reactions in that order, because that place is great!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2016, 11:20 am

A standup comedy theater, Royal Comedy Theater, may open on Mainstreet. Their hours are likely from 8pm to 11:30pm. No site mentioned yet, but in the next city council agenda the city is being asked to amend the code for serving alcohol to include performance theaters.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 22nd, 2016, 1:32 pm

On Tuesday, the company that owns 9 7th Avenue South, an 11-story 161 unit senior housing apartment on Mainstreet in Hopkins will be before the city Zoning and Planning Commission to seek to have its property subdivided. If approved, they will come back to the commission to seek development approvals for between 120-180 units of affordable apartments, "geared toward working individuals and families".

The owner is going to seek refinancing to rehabilitate and renovate the existing senior apartment building as well as finance the new apartments. The new apartments will be on the severely underutilized 151 stall parking lot. The new apartments will have enough underground parking for the existing senior apartments and the future apartments.
ImageDowntown Hopkins annotated by Eric Anondson, on Flickr

Anondson
IDS Center

Downtown Hopkins area

Postby Anondson » April 14th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Just a general thread for downtown Hopkins development, projects, topics, etc.

Biked my daughter to a playground by the fire station that she loves. Noticed excavation for The Moline is underway. Concrete being poured.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Downtown Hopkins area

Postby sdho » April 14th, 2016, 9:01 pm

My proposed topic: the miserable signals on Mainstreet. What would it take to get pedestrian recall re-enabled on signals downtown?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 14th, 2016, 10:58 pm

Oh, how much I agree with this....

The city just reconstructed Mainstreet last year too. I hope ped recall can happen someday soon. It hurts thinking of the redesign Mainstreet deserved and should have gotten. Hopkins, I think, is still tender over the bad snaking design a few decades back and never wants to do anything avant garde, ends up playing street design ultra (auto centric) conservative.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 15th, 2016, 11:13 am

In the council agenda for next week it looks like the city is going to give a little bitty crack to the stingy food truck policy by allowing the Hopkins Farmer's Market to offer food trucks.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 28th, 2016, 12:28 pm

PPL replied to a question I had about when Oxford Green would begin construction.

https://twitter.com/PPLTwinCities/statu ... 4884980736
"@xeoth Construction on Oxford
Green should start in September or October 2016. Sorry for delay in response!"

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 31st, 2016, 7:33 pm

ADA lawsuits focusing on Hopkins businesses.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2016/05/31/busi ... g-hopkins/

I mean, it is 2016, why the hell aren't you compliant?

At the same time, driving into a parking lot, scanning around, filing suit over missing blue sign for otherwise complaint unloading spaces even after sign was put up ... Is kind of a douche move.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 1st, 2016, 10:32 pm

"Ketroser said his priority isn’t money, but fixing the problem."

Bull. If that were true he would have a conversation with the business before filing suit and ONLY file if the business refused to comply.

I have no publicly acceptable words.