Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
Capella Tower

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » May 8th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Hopkins city council voted to deny a group care home’s amendment to zoning where they operate to allow them to operate caring for 7–10 people. Hopkins zoning says only 6 cared for residents as set by the state as the ground floor minimum, though Minnetonka in the same zoning allows for much more.

The large-lot neighborhood behind the property fence said excess traffic to the group care home would risk safety to the neighborhood. The home has been caring for more than 6 (under 10) for years with no complaints about traffic or safety all these years.

It is literally across the street from a multistory apartment building and kitty corner across the highway from another multistory apartment building. Also a property away from a busy private golf club’s clubhouse. But 8 patients in a care home that no one knew about was too much.

The issue came to the front because an inspection discovered the mismatch with patients and city’s rock bottom compliance with state law. I believe the reporting has it wrong when it states that 6 is the limit when I believe 6 is the bare minimum. Hopkins zoning caps at the state minimum.

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_sail ... 651ac.html

I’m pretty steamed at my city. This is such a shameful mark against Hopkins.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » May 9th, 2019, 6:48 am

That's pretty disappointing... lets hope none of the "concerned neighbors" never need care in their later years... So short sighted.

alexschief
Union Depot

Postby alexschief » May 9th, 2019, 8:26 am

"Keep, historic Hopkins, your storied pomp!" cry the
Concerned neighbors. "Give Minneapolis your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to live quietly in peace,
The wretched refuse of your teeming main street.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost somewhere else,
Let's fasten shut the golden door!"

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » June 29th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Arby’s on Blake Road gossip heard on Nextdoor. Person who claims to have connection to the owner of the land says the owner refused to renew the Arby’s lease because they believe that because they are adjacent to the Blake Road Station that the value of the land for redevelopment in the short term is high.

The Blake Road station IS being built with a plain and small parking lot with the hope a future development on the Arby’s lot is willing to incorporate a public parking structure like was done with the Moline and would also desire to extend over the small lot that is being added as part of SWLRT.

Would be fascinating if that was able to happen before the LRT finishes, I wonder how that would affect the station plans during construction...

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 30th, 2019, 6:02 am

That would be a great re-use, especially if it could all be redesigned before any money is spent on the current plan.

Korh
Nicollet Mall

Postby Korh » July 9th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Just noticed the River Bluffs trail is closed between 11th and Shady Oak coming home today. Not sure if its necessary related but might be a sign that some SWLRT construction in the area might be starting soon.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » July 9th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Almost certainly. All along the trail between The Depot and up to 5th I saw fence posts being put in right up to the edge of the trail.

Return to “Suburbs”