Richfield - General Topics - 66th Street

Twin Cities Suburbs
twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6208
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby twincitizen » July 12th, 2016, 10:50 am

Calling all developers! Here's a decent site that is already zoned for dense, mixed-use office/retail/residential development.
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19829549 ... apolis-MN/

Seriously though...do you know any developers? The price could probably go a lot lower too. They are looking to sell.

In a perfect world, the site to the south (6525 Penn) would be developed simultaneously (due to equally hideous current use, elevation & access challenges, etc.), but AFAIK is not on the market.

I know it's not the most desirable location ever, but hard to find lower acquisition costs for a site this size on a commercial corridor, proximate to SW Mpls, Southdale, etc. Is it really that unfeasible that market-rate apartments could work here? Or are developers just completely bypassing this area?

Thoughts?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby mattaudio » July 12th, 2016, 11:28 am

Does Richfield have any of the following development headaches?
1. Minimum parking requirements
2. Maximum FARs
3. Ridiculous setback requirements
4. etc

As John Anderson would ask, is this a "toxic site" due to zoning and land use regulations?

If you can guarantee it's a non-toxic site, I could potentially be interested in adding it to my analysis for my upcoming decision on a development project.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3131
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 12th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Come to think of it there really aren't that many redevelopment projects going on in Richfield, esp. residential projects. At least, not compared to its neighbors: Edina, Bloomington, and South Mpls.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower
Posts: 812
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 9:51 am

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby Qhaberl » July 12th, 2016, 9:06 pm

What ever happed to that big project that they were going to build across from the target, just west of richfield Parkway?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drizzay
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 105
Joined: February 14th, 2013, 2:52 pm
Location: Armatage

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby Drizzay » July 13th, 2016, 10:46 am

I see the Flowerama just down the road (66th/Penn) shuttered it's doors. Anyone have any information on whether they simply closed because they weren't profitable or if the property owner non-renewed them?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3131
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 13th, 2016, 11:22 am

Oh wow, that's been there since I can remember! Pretty sweet spot for retail...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Personally, I'm convinced 66th and Penn (They call it Penn Central, just like the c.1968 merged mega-railroad that led to a catastrophic bankruptcy and the nationalization of East Coast railroads eight years later) could really use a district parking ramp.

User avatar
sdho
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 753
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: The Urban Hometown®
Contact:

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby sdho » July 14th, 2016, 1:39 pm

mattaudio wrote:Does Richfield have any of the following development headaches?
1. Minimum parking requirements
2. Maximum FARs
3. Ridiculous setback requirements
4. etc

As John Anderson would ask, is this a "toxic site" due to zoning and land use regulations?

If you can guarantee it's a non-toxic site, I could potentially be interested in adding it to my analysis for my upcoming decision on a development project.
There's a lot of flexibility within the "Penn Central" area of this particular site. There is either no min setback, or it's 5 ft. There is a max setback, I believe, of ~15 feet. Parking requirements are reduced but, so far, present. (There has been discussion about eliminating them in this district, but has not come to fruition.)

In general, the goal in this area is relatively high-density, walk-up development. To date, there aren't really any examples of the vision being executed. However, there have been some renovations and improvements that bring things closer -- like the liquor store, Salon Junallo, and Fireside Pizza.
min-chi-cbus wrote:Come to think of it there really aren't that many redevelopment projects going on in Richfield, esp. residential projects. At least, not compared to its neighbors: Edina, Bloomington, and South Mpls.
It pales in comparison to the Southdale District, but I think compared to South Minneapolis south of Lake St, I think it's doing pretty well. For the area between Minnehaha and Crosstown, the only major recent project that comes to mind is Zest Apartments. And, Goodwill, I guess.
Last edited by sdho on July 14th, 2016, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sdho
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 753
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: The Urban Hometown®
Contact:

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby sdho » July 14th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Qhaberl wrote:What ever happed to that big project that they were going to build across from the target, just west of richfield Parkway?
Still chugging along, we've been told, but probably won't see construction until next year. This is a little tricky, because to fully build out, there are a number of private sales that need to happen on 16th Ave.

There is a larger, ~300 unit project south of 66th on Richfield Pkwy that is likely to happen sooner -- last I heard, they're hoping to break ground this fall. But no land use approvals have been granted yet.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6208
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2016, 2:03 pm

sdho wrote:
min-chi-cbus wrote:Come to think of it there really aren't that many redevelopment projects going on in Richfield, esp. residential projects. At least, not compared to its neighbors: Edina, Bloomington, and South Mpls.
It pales in comparison to the Southdale District, but I think compared to South Minneapolis south of Lake St, I think it's doing pretty well. For the area between Minnehaha and Crosstown, the only major recent project that comes to mind is Zest Apartments. And, Goodwill, I guess.
This is a good point. While it feels really disappointing that no multi-unit housing development is happening in Richfield (aside from the two projects at Cedar Point), there's been basically near-zero large scale housing development anywhere south of Lake Street. On the flip side, South Minneapolis has seen TONS of commercial properties re-purposed, rehabbed, etc. Lots of investment has taken place over the past 5+ years, just very little multi-unit development outside of the obvious "hot" areas and a couple projects along the Blue Line. Most of the available redevelopment sites in Richfield probably have a lot more in common with plain ol' south Minneapolis than they do with West End or Southdale or Uptown, etc.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6208
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby twincitizen » July 18th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Staging of 66th Street project: http://richfieldsweetstreets.org/wp-con ... taging.pdf
Some sidewalks and final landscaping, etc. will not be complete until 2019.
Note: this timeline does not show Met Council's sewer lining project which is still ongoing in some parts of the corridor this year through early 2017.

User avatar
sdho
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 753
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: The Urban Hometown®
Contact:

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby sdho » July 18th, 2016, 7:08 pm

I'm glad one accessible pedestrian route will remain at all times during construction. But it is disappointing that the north side sidewalk in downtown Richfield will remain unfinished until 2019.

I'm sort of resigned to the final landscaping and lighting taking till '19. Good things take time! Considering what a task it was to install the Portland roundabout, doing two of those in one year makes sense that that fills a full construction season.

User avatar
Sacrelicio
Union Depot
Posts: 367
Joined: November 11th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Location: Field

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby Sacrelicio » August 7th, 2016, 7:25 pm

I drove along this today and saw that some of the houses had been demolished. Are they planning to cut all those trees down too? Some really nice oaks and and a couple pines along there. Would be a shame to see them go.

User avatar
sdho
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 753
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: The Urban Hometown®
Contact:

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby sdho » August 8th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Sacrelicio wrote:I drove along this today and saw that some of the houses had been demolished. Are they planning to cut all those trees down too? Some really nice oaks and and a couple pines along there. Would be a shame to see them go.
Unfortunately, most of them have to go -- the roadway will be shifted significantly south from where it is today. However, the south 20' or so of the cleared lots will remain as a buffer for the next house in. My understanding is that trees in that area will remain unscathed. I guess even for trees that would "land" in the new boulevard, they have to be cut down because it's considered impractical to try to do the heavy construction around them.

On the bright side, hundreds of new trees are going in after all is said and done. They had a landscape architect redesign aspects of the project (in terms of soil and boulevard width) with the intent of making those new trees grow to true canopy trees.

User avatar
Sacrelicio
Union Depot
Posts: 367
Joined: November 11th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Location: Field

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby Sacrelicio » August 8th, 2016, 10:41 pm

sdho wrote:
Sacrelicio wrote:I drove along this today and saw that some of the houses had been demolished. Are they planning to cut all those trees down too? Some really nice oaks and and a couple pines along there. Would be a shame to see them go.
Unfortunately, most of them have to go -- the roadway will be shifted significantly south from where it is today. However, the south 20' or so of the cleared lots will remain as a buffer for the next house in. My understanding is that trees in that area will remain unscathed. I guess even for trees that would "land" in the new boulevard, they have to be cut down because it's considered impractical to try to do the heavy construction around them.

On the bright side, hundreds of new trees are going in after all is said and done. They had a landscape architect redesign aspects of the project (in terms of soil and boulevard width) with the intent of making those new trees grow to true canopy trees.
Well that sounds nice I guess. I just hate to see oaks get cut down.

User avatar
sdho
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 753
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: The Urban Hometown®
Contact:

Re: Lyndale-HUB-Nicollet & 66th St area - Richfield

Postby sdho » August 25th, 2016, 9:01 pm

On Tuesday night, a developer presented a proposal for a small mixed-use building on the former site of Southview Baptist Church, at 66th St and 1st Ave S. Currently the site is 1.02 acres, to be slightly reduced by right-of-way for the new 66th St. It is currently zoned residential, which would have to change as well.

The project was described as a "miniature" Kensington Park (the mixed-use development from the mid-aughts at 76th and Lyndale). The developer envisioned 10,000 sq ft of retail space and between 5 and 10 apartments above. There would be surface parking only, but the parking would be behind the building and a fairly modest size.

Although there are concerns about neighboring single-family homes, the project was really well-received by Council and Planning Commission (including by me!). A previous proposal got a pretty tepid response -- a similar potential site plan, but strip retail only with no mixed-use component. They also did not envision any level of frontage like this on 66th.

Image

Image

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5832
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Lyndale-HUB-Nicollet & 66th St area - Richfield

Postby MNdible » August 26th, 2016, 10:57 am

Those presentation drawings are... really... something.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1574
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: Lyndale-HUB-Nicollet & 66th St area - Richfield

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 26th, 2016, 11:46 am

I actually think this is a good infill project, and breaks the norm of the adjacent strip malls on both the north and the south sides of 66th along Nicollet, where the building fronts the sidewalk/street, instead of parking.

User avatar
sdho
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 753
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: The Urban Hometown®
Contact:

Re: Lyndale-HUB-Nicollet & 66th St area - Richfield

Postby sdho » August 26th, 2016, 12:47 pm

It would also be the only mixed-use development on the east side of the railroad tracks. Richfield has a fair number of medium-large scale mixed-use projects, like City Bella and Kensington Park. But I'm not aware of anything on such a small scale.

The developer also won points with his proposed mix of tenants (yoga studio, his own potential office, and a coffee shop without drive-thru), although I wouldn't be shocked if that mix changed. Per the resistance last time, and the small size of the site, I think a drive-thru is pretty safely out, though.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6208
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby twincitizen » October 7th, 2016, 7:53 am



Return to “Suburbs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests