Richfield - 66th Street - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby sdho » July 14th, 2015, 1:31 pm

A tree that never reaches full maturity is still better than a tree that never exists. Lake Street trees are fine in places where they can grow in a full boulevard and not just a tree box in an otherwise-concrete amenity zone. Richfield needs boulevard trees, no matter what.
Agreed -- the question is really, is a mature tree better than bike-ped space that really 100% meets standard widths. I'm still on the fence. But if it was done 5-1-5 with exposed aggregate as the buffer, I think that would be workable (and shady, in a few years).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Yes, I agree: I think bike lane widths are slightly less important than their side friction. 5 feet is fine, if there's a buffer on one side. You can ride closer to the (right hand) side without feeling at risk for collision with objects or path/sidewalk users. So, what exactly is the point of a 1' buffer anyways? Why not just run the bike lane and the sidewalk up against each other, but with different materials?

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » July 14th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Yes, I agree: I think bike lane widths are slightly less important than their side friction. 5 feet is fine, if there's a buffer on one side. You can ride closer to the (right hand) side without feeling at risk for collision with objects or path/sidewalk users. So, what exactly is the point of a 1' buffer anyways? Why not just run the bike lane and the sidewalk up against each other, but with different materials?
You'd ride on the left-hand side, you mean? Since the sidewalk will be to the right of the bike lane. It's hard for me to know how exactly 5' will feel in this context. In a regular bike lanes, 5' is pretty tight -- but that's when you've got faster cars on one side, and an unforgiving curb on the other.

But we also don't know what behavior or use will look like. Certainly, there will at some point be a need for one bicyclist to pass another. 5' isn't enough space to do that. The likely behavior will be to rely on the buffer or sidewalk.

In any case, I guess ADA requirements mandate some sort of buffer that would be discernible to blind users. Exposed aggregate is good for that (as are pavers) since they feel noticeably different to a cane.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Lyndale Garden Center Site - Richfield

Postby sdho » July 29th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Richfield is soliciting feedback for public signage near the Lyndale Garden Center site (in an area they're trying to brand "Lakes at Lyndale" -- referring to Grass Lake/Richfield Lake and Woodlake).

General consensus seems to be that #1 and #2 are bland and/or corporate, and #3 is clever but may be impractical or look dated soon.

Thoughts? Other wayfinding signs that serve as good example? Feel free to vote and comment here: http://richfieldconnect.mindmixer.com/t ... gn-options

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 29th, 2015, 5:28 pm

I'd recommend they spend their money on something else. I really can't imagine these being of much use to anybody.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » July 29th, 2015, 8:01 pm

It's part of a bigger vision for Lyndale Ave, that includes completing the redevelopment of the Lyndale Gardens site and making the lakes/parks more of a destination, as well as improvements to Lyndale Ave itself (on-street parking, extended bike lanes, the new roundabout at 66th).

66th & Lyndale is the most destination-rich node on Lyndale between Lake St and 494. It also has a lot of new and desirable things, like Lyn 65, Pizza Luce, LA Fitness, Lakewinds. It has the aforementioned parks, much older but not as much a destination as they could be. And it has a few thousand residents in apartments and condos.

Yet a lot of the stuff goes unnoticed. I think wayfinding is a great way to bring attention to what's in the area.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 30th, 2015, 8:23 am

How many affordable single family homes will Richfield tear down to build the signs?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 30th, 2015, 8:32 am

All of them. And the signs will be subsidized using TIF and the market rate signs will complain.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 30th, 2015, 8:42 am

I actually read that these signs will up the property values (and therefore prop taxes) so much that current residents won't be able to afford to stay in their homes.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 30th, 2015, 9:36 am

Clever snark aside, I feel like in today's world of google and Yelp and who knows what the kids are using today, an expensive (and I promise you these boys will be shockingly expensive, because custom wayfinding always is) sign kiosk just doesn't get you very much bang for your buck. Also, it will be out of date within a month and nobody will bother to update it. There's other street furniture that could be purchased that will provide more benefit for more people for a longer time.

But anyway, they'll build it because they have stuff like this in malls.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 30th, 2015, 9:54 am

^I agree with MNdible! Happy day!

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » July 30th, 2015, 10:23 am

they'd get more bang for their buck if they built a mobile friendly website with a small sign that directs people to it.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 30th, 2015, 10:37 am

they'd get more bang for their buck if they built a mobile friendly website with a small sign that directs people to it.
Also, it will be out of date within a month and nobody will bother to update it.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 14th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Don't have pictures, unfortunately, but there's some nice interior remodel going on in the first floor of Woodlake Center (SE corner of 66th & Lyndale). County crews have also staked out the new right-of-way edge in front for the new roundabout.

Downside: it will require them to remove plantings and relocate signage. But upside: It will bring the sidewalk closer to the building's front door.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 7th, 2015, 10:29 pm

Medians are a sticking point.

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/11/07/66t ... nvenience/

Equity for pedestrians crossing the street vs. equity of drivers finding their way around. Or something like that?

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » November 8th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Medians are a sticking point.

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/11/07/66t ... nvenience/

Equity for pedestrians crossing the street vs. equity of drivers finding their way around. Or something like that?
Something like that. There's a strong sense that the project is stepping on homeowners' toes -- particularly west of 35W, where the homes are being taken, and (west of Penn) where there was a strong advocacy against widening the corridor for bicycles or pedestrians. It was a stretch for the Council to sign on for the homes to be taken, and I think their sense is that they shouldn't move any farther toward inconveniencing residents. In fact, the main reason the 35W "dumbbell" design was defeated was because homeowners on Emerson Ave S would lose full access to turn left onto 66th.

However, I am hopeful that they are supportive of the medians in the end. It is clear that there is a strong benefit for everyone's safety, and for the aesthetics of the corridor. Emerson was an unusual case, because due to 35W and the lakes, it's basically a dead end in either direction. Every place where medians are being proposed now is on the grid, so many options exist for accessing a home even if your direct left turn is blocked.

FWIW, Transportation Commission discussed it last week and seemed mildly supportive. There will be a public open house (preliminarily scheduled for Nov 19) to gather resident feedback.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » November 10th, 2015, 10:03 am

The City has posted a new thread to ask for feedback regarding the closed medians:

http://richfieldconnect.mindmixer.com/p ... 6th-street

and, a visual example of what this would look like:

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 3rd, 2016, 12:48 pm

The fancy house was gone this morning when I used 66th to get to work sans-freeway. Sure does open up the view to the park.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » February 3rd, 2016, 1:03 pm

The fancy house was gone this morning when I used 66th to get to work sans-freeway. Sure does open up the view to the park.
Aw - that makes me a little sad.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 3rd, 2016, 1:47 pm

Pictures of the rubble here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 5313592381. I have't been over to see it yet in person. The greater access to the park will be great, but this is a cool landmark that will certainly be missed.