Richfield - 66th Street - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: 66th Street - Richfield

Postby Anondson » March 15th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Strib writer Miguel Otárola was at an open house and tweeted some things. He's worth a follow if your interested in west metro things. The first link has images of proposed roundabouts.

https://twitter.com/motarola123/status/ ... 3097681938

https://twitter.com/motarola123/status/ ... 7169134592

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 16th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Cool. I see he just did a story after talking with people at the open house, too: https://www.startribune.com/residents-b ... 416373634/

I'm disappointed that the east end of construction (east of Portland) won't start until mid-summer. But it will be great to have that segment between Penn and 35W done ASAP. Right now it really looks scarred with the houses gone and the road untouched.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 17th, 2017, 7:14 am

Is it too late to switch to the barbell double roundabout for the 35W diamond interchange? Also, I know the Cedar interchange was "improved" 10-15 years ago, but it seems horribly inefficient with long waits at both stoplights. It would function much better as a barbell double roundabout.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » March 17th, 2017, 10:16 am

Is Lyndale going to reduce to one lane as you enter the roundabout on each side (it looks like two lanes to the north and south)? Or will Lyndale be reduced to one lane in each direction some time in the future?

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 17th, 2017, 10:31 am

Is Lyndale going to reduce to one lane as you enter the roundabout on each side (it looks like two lanes to the north and south)? Or will Lyndale be reduced to one lane in each direction some time in the future?
Both Nicollet and Lyndale will be single lanes north-south at the roundabout. Because of the limited project scope, they're not going to show the single-lane conversion an inch farther than the construction limits.

There was a plan to remove excess lanes on Lyndale a few years ago, but it fell through due to delays on the Lyndale Gardens project. Nicollet will be particularly awkward without a restripe -- with gaps of 4 lanes only between 62nd and the roundabout, and then a one block section from the roundabout to 67th.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 17th, 2017, 10:33 am

Is it too late to switch to the barbell double roundabout for the 35W diamond interchange? Also, I know the Cedar interchange was "improved" 10-15 years ago, but it seems horribly inefficient with long waits at both stoplights. It would function much better as a barbell double roundabout.
It is definitely too late now. The plans are done. There is still a possibility of a Penn roundabout when that street is reconstructed. 35W will at least have a flashing yellow arrow. At Cedar, you have that tedious fully protected left, and almost non-existent westbound traffic that gets a full cycle.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » July 5th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Don't have a subscription, but MSPBJ article about "Local Roots on the Park", a new independent coffee shop and lunch place opening on 66th St opposite Veterans Park:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ormer.html

Here's the website for the business: http://www.localrootsfinefoods.com/ (currently just wholesale soup... this is their first retail operation).

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » July 9th, 2017, 11:01 am

Don't have a subscription, but MSPBJ article about "Local Roots on the Park", a new independent coffee shop and lunch place opening on 66th St opposite Veterans Park:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ormer.html

Here's the website for the business: http://www.localrootsfinefoods.com/ (currently just wholesale soup... this is their first retail operation).
Awesome. Local Roots was founded by a friend of mine, but I hadn't heard about this plan. Maybe I need to go on facebook more than once every 3 months. If I am guessing correctly, this is as much to have consistent access to a commercial kitchen for soup production as it is to open a retail coffee shop. Good soups if you see them.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » July 9th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Awesome. Local Roots was founded by a friend of mine, but I hadn't heard about this plan. Maybe I need to go on facebook more than once every 3 months. If I am guessing correctly, this is as much to have consistent access to a commercial kitchen for soup production as it is to open a retail coffee shop. Good soups if you see them.
Sounds right based on how they described it. It's a relatively large space, but they plan to only have a fairly small seating area for the cafe/coffee -- I think they said 10 or 15 seats. Much of the other public space is an art gallery and something else. I hope they make a go of it! It seems like a great place.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 24th, 2017, 1:24 pm

A couple weeks ago, the Richfield Planning Commission and City Council heard a work session proposal (not a formal land use application) for a Dunkin Donuts at 66th St and Penn Ave. This is the current CarHop site, just north of the corner on the NE corner.

Write-up in the Richfield Sun: http://current.mnsun.com/2016/12/24/dun ... richfield/

I don't have the site plan, although it was shown at the meeting. What they proposed was sort of stock suburban, on a relatively small lot. They wanted a drive-through surrounding three sides of the building, with no direct sidewalk frontage or pedestrian access. It would need several variances to happen. Of particular concern is that they propose to remove the existing grassy buffer between the apartment property on Oliver and this property. The drive-through speaker would face the apartment building -- I'd guess about 20' away from the structure -- and cars would queue under the windows of this building.

I asked at the meeting if they would consider doing a building in compliance with Richfield's Penn Ave Design Guidelines, and forgoing the drive-thru. The Dunkin Donuts franchisee's rep informed me that Dunkin Donuts corporate is only considering "conventional" drive-thru designs for their initial build-out in the Twin Cities.
Dunkin Donuts' preliminary site plans are in the Richfield Planning Commission packet. Staff report indicates that they recommend it be continued for another month, since they anticipate the developer will submit revised plans

But, this gives an idea of what they're looking to do:

1. Much more attractive site layout than the earlier concept, with the building fronting Penn Ave.
2. More parking than initial proposal
3. Better distance from residential to the west to the drive-thru speaker, but still not compliant, and not all that close to compliant.
4. <0.10 FAR
5. Building seems to have one front side (south, narrow, facing internally) and three back sides.
6. Landscaping that buffers building from the sidewalk, rather than buffering sidewalk from roadway. (Staff report indicates that this is among their requests to change)

Full details in the packet here: http://richfieldmn.gov/home/showdocument?id=12022

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 3rd, 2017, 11:20 am

Richfield approves new Dunkin’ Donuts shop

A Dunkin’ Donuts coffee shop will be built at the site of a former CarHop location in Richfield.

The Richfield City Council last week approved a permit application by Legacy Concepts, a franchisee of Canton, Mass.-based Dunkin’ Donuts.

Legacy Concepts Vice President Damon Dranchak told the Richfield Sun Current that he hopes to open by September 2018.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Lyndale-HUB-Nicollet & 66th St area - Richfield

Postby sdho » November 20th, 2017, 10:03 pm

On Tuesday night, a developer presented a proposal for a small mixed-use building on the former site of Southview Baptist Church, at 66th St and 1st Ave S. Currently the site is 1.02 acres, to be slightly reduced by right-of-way for the new 66th St. It is currently zoned residential, which would have to change as well.

The project was described as a "miniature" Kensington Park (the mixed-use development from the mid-aughts at 76th and Lyndale). The developer envisioned 10,000 sq ft of retail space and between 5 and 10 apartments above. There would be surface parking only, but the parking would be behind the building and a fairly modest size.

Although there are concerns about neighboring single-family homes, the project was really well-received by Council and Planning Commission (including by me!). A previous proposal got a pretty tepid response -- a similar potential site plan, but strip retail only with no mixed-use component. They also did not envision any level of frontage like this on 66th.

This developer returned with a more apartment-heavy proposal at a work session tonight. The new design has underground parking, two floors of apartments + a first floor that is half apartment and half commercial.

Reception was warm to the idea from Richfield City Council. However, it would require a Comprehensive Plan change. (Land is still designated institutional/residential from the church previously on the site.)

66th Street frontage:

Site plan:

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » January 10th, 2018, 11:41 am

There was a work session last night for a presentation by Thor Development and Therapy of Champions, a cryotherapy clinic that has opened in a former salon at 15th & E 66th.

They have an ambitious proposal for a new medical office/retail building that would occupy the entire south side of the 1400 block. It would include the existing dentist, and a 12,000 square foot facility for the cryotherapy company.

Although this was just an informal presentation for preliminary feedback, it got glowing nods from Council and Planning Commission members. Their hope is that the dentist (Cedar Point Dentistry) on the west end would be a part of this development, as well as two HRA-owned parcels that were previously houses.

They showed two design options, but the footprint is substantially similar. This is their "option 2":

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 2nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

Rainbow at the Hub is apparently closing on the 17th.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » March 2nd, 2018, 5:49 pm

Is that the last one left?
Urbanist in the north woods

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 3rd, 2018, 3:56 pm

Maplewood (White Bear & 36) will be the very last Rainbow. That one is owned by Supervalu, whereas the Richfield one was Jerry’s Foods (franchisee)

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 3rd, 2018, 10:14 pm

Leaves the only occupied portion of the entire western "block" of the Hub (Pillsbury to Pleasant) the tiny Popeye's drive-thru on the south end. I'm disappointed that the Bally Fitness/Flex charter school space hasn't found a new occupant yet. Flex did a really nice renovation of the space when they took it over, but lasted only a couple of years.

I don't mourn Rainbow that much personally, but it was the only really affordable general-purpose grocery in downtown Richfield. Lakewinds is awesome, but admittedly more expensive for many things. Of the little grocery shopping I do, it's 70% Target, 30% Lakewinds. (But actually 90% of my food is from Chipotle or Jimmy John's...)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 25th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Don't have a subscription, but MSPBJ article about "Local Roots on the Park", a new independent coffee shop and lunch place opening on 66th St opposite Veterans Park: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ormer.html
Local Roots opened on Saturday. Website is http://localrootsmn.com/
I've already been twice in 2 days. Currently open 6am-3pm 7 days/week for breakfast and lunch. Eventually they will add dinner service and beer/wine. Lunch menu prices are definitely at the upper limit for what the Richfield market will bear. ($12-13 for a modestly-sized sandwich with a few chips, no pickle)

Also, 66th Street construction is back in full swing. Nicollet & 66th is currently a 4-way stop as they build the roundabout. The sections completed last year will hopefully get the final lift of asphalt and lane striping soon...it's kind of a mess right now with the temporary striping having worn off completely. I rode a couple blocks of the new bike lane this morning (Bloomington Ave to 12th). Not bad, though it is bumpy with the cross-street intersections not finished. One neat thing about the protected bike lane (I refuse to use "cycle track", a garbage technical term) being behind the boulevard is that it effectively functions as a two-way bike facility (i.e. you can ride either direction on either side of the street)

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » May 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Local Roots opened on Saturday. Website is http://localrootsmn.com/
I've already been twice in 2 days. Currently open 6am-3pm 7 days/week for breakfast and lunch. Eventually they will add dinner service and beer/wine. Lunch menu prices are definitely at the upper limit for what the Richfield market will bear. ($12-13 for a modestly-sized sandwich with a few chips, no pickle)
I've eaten there twice. I received a pickle.

Price felt OK, but portions were a little modest. The espresso drinks are actually quite cheap -- less than Starbucks or Caribou. Nice doorbuster. I hope they do well -- the space is fairly unique. Other than a McDonald's type fast food chain, I've never seen a playroom for kids in a place like this. Maybe a good perk to bring families over who are at the park.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » May 7th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Nicollet & 66th closed today completely (no four-way stop). They say the roundabout will be open to traffic by Memorial Day -- which would be a pretty crazy pace. Portland took a whole season.