77th/76th Street Corridor - Richfield / Edina

Twin Cities Suburbs
sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: 77th/76th Street Corridor - Richfield / Edina

Postby sdho » July 7th, 2017, 9:33 am

Another new car dealership proposed for the 77th St corridor -- Jaguar/Land Rover on the site of the Ramstad Building (Adler Graduate School) at Bloomington Ave and E 77th St. Location here: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8624708 ... 312!8i6656

It is going to be discussed at a work session 7/11. At this point, I don't know what would be required (comp plan amendment?) to gain approval.

If approved, it would mean the existing apartment building at 7700 Bloomington Ave would have car dealerships on both sides.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » July 11th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Reception was lukewarm to the car dealership (which is OK under zoning and comp plan, but would be a conditional use permit requiring a finding of consistency with the comp plan). Main concern was concentrating auto dealerships in the corridor, and that a higher and better use may be more feasible with the 77th St underpass is complete.

Developers from Wisconsin also pitched an apartment building for the south city garage site at 77th St and Pillsbury (SW corner). Pretty small project for Richfield, 21 market-rate apartments on the one-acre site.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 12th, 2017, 8:13 am

The apartment building must be a slam dunk, no? Except it furthers the "soundwall divide" in Richfield where "those people" live between Canadian Boulevard/77th and 494, while "Real Richfield" lives in single family homes to the north.

I'm wondering about the dealership. Normal dealerships seem like a very low value use per acre of land, leaving high opportunity costs for tax base. But I'm curious to see how the Honda or Audi dealerships stack up with their multi-level facilities. I've always considered car dealerships to be like sewer treatment plants - obviously useful to a region, but something that is far too low value to put in an urbanized area. But these multi-level car dealerships seem like they could actually produce a fair amount of tax capacity per acre, so they may be ok.

I mean, at least Richfield dodged the low-value-per-acre junk like the Culver's drive through....

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » July 12th, 2017, 8:53 am

They generate a lot of tax revenue relative to their size, especially compared to the low-slung auto dealerships that are mostly parking lot. Morrie's did not provide tax capacity info, but given current taxation levels, they estimated at least 750,000 a year on this 3.2 acre site ($234,000 per acre). That is on-par with RB Honda/Mitsubishi, which does $205,000 per acre.

On a per acre basis, that is higher than even Best Buy corporate ($179,000), and much better than something like Culver's ($51,706).

But I can't see any way that this is compatible with the plan's vision of a mixed-use corridor. If we change the plan, what does that mean for the other sites? Even if this site could be developed well as a car dealership, could that prevent other uses of the adjacent properties?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 16th, 2017, 9:14 am

Richfield Jaguar Land Rover details:
http://richfieldmn.gov/home/showdocument?id=11879
Looks decent, except for the 58 stall surface lot along International Blvd.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 16th, 2017, 9:30 am

22 unit apartment building proposed for International Blvd and Pillsbury in Richfield. 22 underground parking stalls, 19 above grade parking stalls. FAR or 0.216? I mean, I guess it's good to see new apartments in Richfield. But come on, wow.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2017, 10:56 am

Transplanted straight out of 1983
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 16th, 2017, 4:45 pm

22 unit apartment building proposed for International Blvd and Pillsbury in Richfield. 22 underground parking stalls, 19 above grade parking stalls. FAR or 0.216? I mean, I guess it's good to see new apartments in Richfield. But come on, wow.

It's a 3-story building, and I believe 8000 is the footprint, not the total square footage of the building. So correct FAR would be about 0.6. It wouldn't be a landmark for density or design, but I don't think that's too bad. A few positive things about this from my perspective:

1. This is a small lot (1 acre), and I think takes a bit of vision to see housing on the site. Storage to the south, older commercial/industrial auto body stuff to the east, and the Wall of Richfield to the direct north. Current use is a dilapidated parking lot being rented to Richfield Honda for extra employee parking.

2. One garage space per unit in the tuckunder garage.

3. What appears to be a high-quality tenant entrance on 77th/International. Even at relatively new Lyndale Plaza in downtown Richfield, the only entrance is in the back, by the parking light. This is much more transit-oriented.

In terms of what I don't like -- the surface parking is excessive, and almost 1.9 spaces per unit, this is much higher than Lyndale Plaza or the in-progress Chamberlain. The design is mediocre, but I don't care that much. I think removing the gables and having the balconies suspended from the side (rather than on those posts) would improve it enormously.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 18th, 2017, 8:42 am

Considering the lack of street parking in the area, though, I think having more surface parking is understandable. It's not allowed on the west side of Pillsbury and driveways take up much of the east side. There isn't any to the west due to the railroad, and of course there is none on W. 77th.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 18th, 2017, 9:39 am

Seems like Richfield could restripe 77th for one traffic lane, one parking lane, and one bike lane rather than two traffic lanes. Reduce the speed limit to 30 MPH.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 18th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Seems like Richfield could restripe 77th for one traffic lane, one parking lane, and one bike lane rather than two traffic lanes. Reduce the speed limit to 30 MPH.
They certainly *could*, especially east of Nicollet, although it's a funky street to do on-street parking on, since the northern frontage is a 12' wall. With 10' lanes, you could do a 6' bike lane while still keeping 4 travel lanes. But Transportation Commission recently considered and rejected the idea of doing bike lanes on 77th, preferring some sort of trail or bike boulevard along the frontage road.

As for Pillsbury -- if it were needed, they could probably allow on both sides, or at least flip to the west side that has more usable curb. Also allowed along some of 78th St. But, really, 1.5 spaces per unit is plenty, even with little on-street parking.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 6th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Ye Ole Shoppes at Lynddale is getting an Aldi:
http://www.startribune.com/aldi-and-sie ... 499841601/