Cedar Ave Corridor - Richfield

Twin Cities Suburbs
sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Cedar Ave Corridor - Richfield

Postby sdho » November 15th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Last I heard they were still negotiating with one or two houses on 16th, but they were prepared to just leave some of the townhomes unbuilt and workaround those who chose not to sell. Not sure of the construction timeline.

Design looks nice, although that rendering above is playing some tricks. That bottom floor at the SE corner of the site is actually all parking, and so the windows shown are uncertain. Newer renderings showed a blank wall. I suggested a preference for windows, even if the windows just face into parking (many buildings in Mpls do this). At a minimum, there'd be some sort of landscaping.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » September 7th, 2022, 11:09 pm

There was a work session Tuesday night to discuss a new proposal by Boisclair and another partner for the "Cedar Point II" site bounded by Richfield Pkwy to the north and east, 65th to the south, and 16th Ave to the west.

Their new proposal has quite a few more townhomes (packed more tightly, perpendicular to 16th rather than parallel), and a similar number of apartments. They described a slower buildout, starting with a few rows of townhomes, and eventually doing apartments, depending on market factors.

The apartments are now proposed to be 100% market-rate. They stated the townhomes are "affordable" to 115% AMI. Considering that the vast majority of homes in Richfield are affordable to 115% of AMI, this did not strike me as especially affordable -- but I guess it is for new construction.

Site plan:

Looking northwest from the southeast corner of 65th & Richfield Pkwy

Full slides here: http://richfieldmn.gov/home/showdocument?id=12462
I'm not sure I like the way this one turned out. Driving along this gives me the impression I'm driving along the alley and not the front of the building. I'm guessing the hill is responsible for this but it is only a matter of time before someone tags this blank canvas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8882457 ... 2?hl=en-GB

Maybe planting some trees or shrubs would fix this?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 15th, 2022, 1:30 pm

The north building is mostly fine and experiences more grade change south to north. The south building feels more visible to the public / Target shoppers and they definitely should've dug out the parking garage a few feet deeper. It's basically at-grade for the entire length of the building. That or the south building should've had some windows (real or fake) added to the parking garage elevation, or put some of the amenities on that level, like the lobby, gym, etc. facing Richfield Parkway.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » September 18th, 2022, 1:10 am

I think at least having the lobby facing Richfield Parkway would have made a world of difference. It just gives the impression of looking at the back of the building instead of the front. The only thing missing is the dumpsters to complete the alleyway feel.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » September 21st, 2022, 1:46 pm

There was a work session Tuesday night to discuss a new proposal by Boisclair and another partner for the "Cedar Point II" site bounded by Richfield Pkwy to the north and east, 65th to the south, and 16th Ave to the west.

Their new proposal has quite a few more townhomes (packed more tightly, perpendicular to 16th rather than parallel), and a similar number of apartments. They described a slower buildout, starting with a few rows of townhomes, and eventually doing apartments, depending on market factors.

The apartments are now proposed to be 100% market-rate. They stated the townhomes are "affordable" to 115% AMI. Considering that the vast majority of homes in Richfield are affordable to 115% of AMI, this did not strike me as especially affordable -- but I guess it is for new construction.

Site plan:

Looking northwest from the southeast corner of 65th & Richfield Pkwy

Full slides here: http://richfieldmn.gov/home/showdocument?id=12462
I'm not sure I like the way this one turned out. Driving along this gives me the impression I'm driving along the alley and not the front of the building. I'm guessing the hill is responsible for this but it is only a matter of time before someone tags this blank canvas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8882457 ... 2?hl=en-GB

Maybe planting some trees or shrubs would fix this?
Fingers crossed 🤞 that they spray paint a bay window or two on the “blank canvas.”

A few raised community gardens or flower beds would be nice but that’s only a seasonal fix.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 22nd, 2022, 5:50 pm

Looks like someone didn't want to sell their house

Windows- with the recent crime explosion in the metro it would seem ground floor windows into a parking garage would be a security risk- criminals could get in that way to pull an auto burglary, carjacking, or catalytic converter theft?

I'm kind of reminded of the townhouses on 86th and Lyndale in Bloomington. The city didn't like the design, calling it "backwards", but they didn't want a bunch of curb cuts on Lyndale. So the back yards with the air conditioners and stuff and the backs of the townhouses face Lyndale, with big fences to try to provide a bit of privacy on the patios, while the driveways and front of the houses face an alley type thing inwards towards the rest of the block.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » January 26th, 2023, 10:06 am

Windows- with the recent crime explosion in the metro it would seem ground floor windows into a parking garage would be a security risk- criminals could get in that way to pull an auto burglary, carjacking, or catalytic converter theft?
I don't know, they're tiny awning windows. If you're breaking into a house, there's a lot more valuable things to steal than a catalytic converter.
I'm kind of reminded of the townhouses on 86th and Lyndale in Bloomington. The city didn't like the design, calling it "backwards", but they didn't want a bunch of curb cuts on Lyndale. So the back yards with the air conditioners and stuff and the backs of the townhouses face Lyndale, with big fences to try to provide a bit of privacy on the patios, while the driveways and front of the houses face an alley type thing inwards towards the rest of the block.
The street presence isn't perfect but I think it's a lot more compelling than those Bloomington Lyndale ones. In particular, the ones facing 65th St (and the ones that will face Richfield Pkwy) have clear front stoops and AC units hidden. I wish all the rows had AC units on garage side and not door side — or at least some fence to screen them. But at least they're not facing streets / public sidewalks.