Lebanon Hills Master Plan

Twin Cities Suburbs
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Lebanon Hills Master Plan

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 19th, 2015, 11:05 am

My brother in law is a newly-appointed Dakota County Planning Commission member, and tipped me off to this. I didn't see anything in the forum re: Lebanon Hills. They're re-doing their master plan: https://www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/plann ... -plan.aspx

There's a scuffle about some new paved trails as part of the plan:
http://www.startribune.com/local/south/290697031.html
http://www.startribune.com/opinion/comm ... 95301.html
http://www.startribune.com/local/south/285308131.html

I guess I'm not really that passionate either way, but paved trails don't seem like a big deal. I'm trying to get him to write a streets.mn post about it since the site lacks coverage on suburban issues.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Lebanon Hills Master Plan

Postby talindsay » February 20th, 2015, 9:46 am

There's a lot of paved trails in the metro, but not a lot of quality unpaved trails for hikers, runners and other trail users who don't want pavement. The urge to pave everything is understandable - it makes snow removal easier, it's more accessible for people with disabilities and difficulties walking, and I think bicyclists generally prefer it. But there is a paucity of maintained unpaved trails, and that's why people don't want this one to be lost. Dakota County may not want to be the ones charged with maintaining truly "wild" spaces in the metro, but by virtue of them acting last, they've kind of ended up in that place: the Three Rivers, Anoka, and Ramsey parks are all pretty developed with lots of built amenities.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 20th, 2015, 9:52 am

There's a lot of paved trails in the metro, but not a lot of quality unpaved trails for hikers, runners and other trail users who don't want pavement.
Afton, Fort Snelling and William O'Brien state parks would disagree with you.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I don't think it's a tragedy to pave some trails here, especially if it makes the park more accessible.
Last edited by David Greene on February 20th, 2015, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 20th, 2015, 12:36 pm

The key words being "in the metro", for which I'd say only Fort Snelling unquestionably qualifies, unless one's using a fairly expansive definition of "metro".

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 20th, 2015, 5:00 pm

They're talking about paving one trail around the edge of the park, not turning the whole park into structured parking. They'll be plenty of unpaved trails left.

Time to get the MInnesota Valley Trail paved too. That's an obvious gap in the metro trail system and there's still plenty of room for a mountain bike trail down there.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 20th, 2015, 7:57 pm

The key words being "in the metro", for which I'd say only Fort Snelling unquestionably qualifies, unless one's using a fairly expansive definition of "metro".
All are in the seven county region. Fort Snelling is aditionally in an urban location.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » February 22nd, 2015, 10:32 pm

The paving will actually involve the removal of a lot of trees, and basically be like the construction of a road through the park.

Strenuously disagree with the notion of paving this or the Minnesota River Bottoms trails.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 23rd, 2015, 11:10 am

The paving will actually involve the removal of a lot of trees, and basically be like the construction of a road through the park.

Strenuously disagree with the notion of paving this or the Minnesota River Bottoms trails.
This. If a paved trail could be created that didn't require a lot of trees to be cut down (like they were at Spring Lake for the MRRT), I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it. I'm not against all paved trails -- I think the ones around the lakes make sense, and the new path for the one running across the park isn't as bad as the old one. I understand the need for different types of trails in parks, even though I'd say we already have this when looking at all parks as a whole. I just don't see a way to create the paved trail across the length of the park without seriously disrupting the natural environment.

Also, accessible =/= paved. With the right surface and maintenance, a non-paved trail can be perfectly accessible.