Excelsior, Wayzata and Lake Minnetonka area

Twin Cities Suburbs
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Excelsior, Wayzata and Lake Minnetonka area

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 11th, 2012, 8:32 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... lsior.html

4 floors
In the heart of downtown Excelsior, on the lake (near Maynards)
$12 million project
58 rooms
~900 SF of retail space
Seeking approvals from the City of Excelsior on July 16

4-d
Metrodome

Re: Lake Minnetonka Hotel

Postby 4-d » July 11th, 2012, 10:52 am

Nice turret!
^ 4-d

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 11th, 2012, 1:30 pm

I used to go to that Pizza Hut all the time when I used to sail in MTKA, I think this is going to be much better for the city :) it looks like it will be done real nice.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 19th, 2012, 4:03 pm

A more updated rendering... yowzers! That is going to look nice from the lake... It's so glitzy historic Minnetonka, but also kind of playful. I like.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 19th, 2012, 4:22 pm

A more updated rendering... yowzers! That is going to look nice from the lake... It's so glitzy historic Minnetonka, but also kind of playful. I like.

Now that is what you can great architecture and fitting into your surroundings.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 19th, 2012, 4:37 pm

And I think there is going to be a big gathering for people to oppose this project.....according to an snippet I saw in the Strib or Biz Journal.....

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 20th, 2012, 10:21 am

And I think there is going to be a big gathering for people to oppose this project.....according to an snippet I saw in the Strib or Biz Journal.....
Which is just stupid. Presently, this lot is completely vacant (except for, I believe, weeds and a picnic table). Prime location, fits the context of the neighborhood, has historic sensitivity. Sometimes NIMBYism is just incomprehensible to me.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 20th, 2012, 10:54 am

Which is just stupid. Presently, this lot is completely vacant (except for, I believe, weeds and a picnic table). Prime location, fits the context of the neighborhood, has historic sensitivity. Sometimes NIMBYism is just incomprehensible to me.
Well, how about talking to people to understand why they are opposed. They know their community better than you or I. Sometimes people are irrational but they usually have a reason for their opinions.

I'm kind of getting sick of the uninformed NIMBY labels being thrown around here.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 10:58 am

Well, how about talking to people to understand why they are opposed. They know their community better than you or I. Sometimes people are irrational but they usually have a reason for their opinions.

I'm kind of getting sick of the uninformed NIMBY labels being thrown around here.
Then please educate us with the reasons. I want to hear logical reasons why it should not happen, beside I'd rather see a open weed patch.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 20th, 2012, 11:01 am

I wonder how much of nimbyism comes from wanting to constrain supply to increase equilibrium price. If I already own real estate in a hot neighborhood like Wayzata or Linden Hills, etc then I'm better off financially if I can prevent the marketplace from meeting the demand for new housing units. With a limited supply and a neighborhood with higher price elasticity of demand, I can make more money.

Edit: To David's point, I don't think he's defending nimbys but he's rather trying to improve our rhetorical stance. It would get us further to dialog with people who oppose a project so we can correct misinformed assumptions and fears. And maybe there are a few legitimate worries with any particular project, and it's good to know those. It's less effective to enter into an us-versus-them dynamic which completely alienates some people.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 11:14 am

I'm tired of the "I'm against if cuz I'm against it." Your against it because you don't want more people to come and enjoy the lake that you live by? You think this plot would be nice for a private locals only park that others won't use? You don't want your cities tax base to increase. You don't want outsiders in your city? THose are what I assume because nobody has the g=ts to give me a real answer that is not selfishs.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 20th, 2012, 11:37 am

Those are what I assume because nobody has the g=ts to give me a real answer that is not selfishs.
Is this the burden of Nimbyism that everyone is complaining about? I assume I heard somewhere...

According to this article, it is actually the Excelsior HPC that seems to have issues with it. I bet they don't want to end up with something like this...
Last edited by seanrichardryan on December 20th, 2012, 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 20th, 2012, 11:44 am

Missing link- http://goo.gl/maps/KoVyq

Faux history.
mulberry & main.jpg
Last edited by seanrichardryan on December 20th, 2012, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 20th, 2012, 11:56 am

Then please educate us with the reasons. I want to hear logical reasons why it should not happen, beside I'd rather see a open weed patch.
I can't because I don't live there. If one can't be bothered to find out what the objections are, then one cannot credibly use the NIMBY label.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 20th, 2012, 11:58 am

To David's point, I don't think he's defending nimbys but he's rather trying to improve our rhetorical stance. It would get us further to dialog with people who oppose a project so we can correct misinformed assumptions and fears. And maybe there are a few legitimate worries with any particular project, and it's good to know those. It's less effective to enter into an us-versus-them dynamic which completely alienates some people.
Yes, exactly. Thank you for that.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 12:25 pm

To David's point, I don't think he's defending nimbys but he's rather trying to improve our rhetorical stance. It would get us further to dialog with people who oppose a project so we can correct misinformed assumptions and fears. And maybe there are a few legitimate worries with any particular project, and it's good to know those. It's less effective to enter into an us-versus-them dynamic which completely alienates some people.
Yes, exactly. Thank you for that.
Then we are saying that the news media is not doing their job to get the complete information out. I've got no way to go and canvas the area for who is for and against. Somebody is NOT getting their point across somewhere. Whether in the print, Radio, or TV. Sound bites are killer as they can backfire on you. I want complete and sound reasons why something is not good or what is it that is specifically wrong with it. When they don't get that out there then they have lost any crediblity with me. To me then if is just sour grapes.

The three story rendering that I see above looks fantastic. The Excelior and Grand wanna be that I be after that would have me say go on go back to the drawing board. But I'm for this development.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 20th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Sorry for sparking off a firestorm here. My reply was a bit off the cuff, and I agree with all of the criticisms of it offered above. I don't live in the neighborhood, but I do frequent the area and play softball at the Commons occasionally. The article linked above seems to indicate that the concerns are not strictly 'no new development', but seem to be focused on improving the quality and appropriateness of the building. Can't complain with that.

I'm a little confused by the height issues referenced in the articles. This building would certainly not be out of character with the others along Water St, and I would think that its location (right at the end of the main street) could possibly call for greater height than its surroundings, not necessarily less.

It would be nice to see some minutes from the meeting, or a media report on the proceedings.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 12:39 pm

You did not start off a firestorm, you set off a debate that needs to be done on more than just this one project. I just happening to be in the debating mood and devil advocate mood today to take on ideas and make people see the other side of the issues. I'm not angry and I know there are other views besides mine. We just have to say what we mean and mean what you say.

Rich
Rice Park

Re: Lake Minnetonka Hotel - Excelsior

Postby Rich » February 20th, 2013, 9:52 am

This was just approved by the Excelsior City Council. It's gonna happen.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Re: Lake Minnetonka Hotel - Excelsior

Postby Tom H. » February 21st, 2013, 9:17 am

This was just approved by the Excelsior City Council. It's gonna happen.
Links? Details? Very exciting!