Bloomington - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Bloomington

Postby Nick » October 29th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I just...RBY, don't you live in Prior Lake?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 29th, 2013, 10:02 pm

pfft/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Normandale Lake Developments - Bloomington

Postby mister.shoes » October 30th, 2013, 7:49 am

The Covington project is starting to get its siding on the east side. It's topped out on the north half of the building, while there is about two floors left to go for the south half of the building. It's been very quick progress.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 30th, 2013, 8:10 am

I just...RBY, don't you live in Prior Lake?
Absolutely. I've stated on here repeatedly that my decision to live out there was based on a host of factors, including (but not limited to) my wife's desire for space and ease of getting down to Iowa to visit her family, my desire to be close (<10 minutes) to my dad who had recently suffered a heart attack, and a misguided desire for a yard for our 2 dogs. I've also stated that as soon as we can afford to sell our house after fixing it (was a foreclosure with many problems) we're moving in to Minneapolis (which should be this March). With that said, it's my opinion that more people who live in the suburbs do need to be more aware of the bigger picture and perhaps be a supporter for changes to core cities that may end up costing them an extra few minutes when they come in for work or play, and also be more cognizant of how their travel behavior has negative effects on others.

My point on Bloomington is that, yes, they're making tiny steps in the direction of supporting denser, walkable areas, but they are completely dwarfed by the amount of land dedicated to auto-centric/focused places. So I used a hyperbole.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » October 30th, 2013, 11:27 am

Is that picture taken from the hotel? It's quite a shame that an apartment building is going in by the Normandale Office Park on the other side of the freeway on a terrific parcel of land. Would have much preffered another office tower to complete the look (although there is one more parcel of land to be developed in the area).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 30th, 2013, 12:17 pm

But think of the accessibility for people who work in that area but don't want to commute! It's a niche market, to say the least!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 30th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Yep, I took that photo in the men's room on the 22nd (top) floor of the DoubleTree. Huge windows and great views on the conference level and open to everyone. I just wish there were south facing views toward the office towers.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 30th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Well, glass houses and all that.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 30th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Thankfully I live in Seward so I can be as smug as I want about the suburbs ;)

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 30th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Is it cool to have distaste for something you're actively making lifestyle changes to avoid/leave and in the meantime being supportive of good urban design? I'm confused.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » November 10th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Website with floorplans now active for the Covington.

http://www.thecovingtonapts.com

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » November 11th, 2013, 11:02 am

The lighting on the top might actually add a little something to the 494 corridor.

Red
Block E

Hyland Ski Area Expansion-Bloomington

Postby Red » December 18th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Re: Toro Headquarters Expansion - Bloomington

Postby Ubermoose » January 17th, 2014, 8:52 am

The majority of the steel is in, the roof is partially done, and framing has started in the lower level. They are getting a lot done, even in the less than ideal temps.

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » March 1st, 2014, 2:52 pm

Okay, The Luxembourg has been under construction since AT LEAST July of 2010. That is when I first noticed work being done. Is it really going to take them over 4 years to finish that thing? What the hell?

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Re: Toro Headquarters Expansion - Bloomington

Postby Ubermoose » July 11th, 2014, 9:04 am

The expansion was completed a couple of days ago in a flurry to try to make the deadline for the unveiling Wednesday and the century celebration yesterday. Here's a link to the Strib story with a photo of the building.http://www.startribune.com/business/266692351.html

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

OATI Office Building - Bloomington

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 22nd, 2014, 10:58 am

OATI plans south campus along Interstate 494 in Bloomington
Jul 22, 2014

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... 94-in.html

Growing software firm Open Access Technology International Inc.(OATI) has solidified its plans to build a second Twin Cities metro campus, a showroom and data center on 4.3 acres in Bloomington.
The Minneapolis-based company, which sells Web-based applications for the energy industry along with Smart Grid technologies, bought the land and disclosed its expansion plans in 2012 for the site near Interstate 494 and Highway 100. The parcel is at the intersection of Computer Avenue and West 78th Street. ...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+78t ... 3e45041d3a

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: OATI Office Building - Bloomington

Postby FISHMANPET » July 22nd, 2014, 11:09 am

I feel like tech companies opening in the suburbs are just begging for second or third tier talent. Considering that the absolute top tier tech people are in urban cores like Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, etc etc, even locating outside of one of those markets means your not getting the absolute best. Then land out in the suburbs and what dregs are left?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 22nd, 2014, 11:12 am

I feel like tech companies opening in the suburbs are just begging for second or third tier talent. Considering that the absolute top tier tech people are in urban cores like Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, etc etc, even locating outside of one of those markets means your not getting the absolute best. Then land out in the suburbs and what dregs are left?
I'm sure you're right to some degree. But currently OATI uses the old Honeywell plant in Minneapolis as well. They've been growing so fast that they need this second office, which will be immediately adjacent to the Seagate plant. The article states they've hired 60 new people in 2014 alone. That's pretty good growth for a Minnesota tech start-up.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 22nd, 2014, 11:15 am

People like me who were thrilled to find a job in the Cities (from St. Cloud), even though it was in Edina (this same area of Edina, coincidentally) and who never thought they'd still be there nine years later, but now are too comfortable and/or chickenshit to find a job downtown despite really wishing that's where they worked.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.