Robbinsdale, Crystal & New Hope – General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
sad panda
Metrodome

Re: Robbinsdale, Crystal & New Hope – General Topics

Postby sad panda » September 25th, 2016, 6:12 pm

And then dumped part of the parking lot in it/
Reading comprehension fail or insider knowledge? The article says, "Demolition work on the building was halted. With the building off limits, the contractors then moved to tear up the asphalt parking lot." I don't see where it was "dumped part of the parking lot in it".

Also, the article only has one side saying, ""The contractor knew that the judge was literally on the theater grounds signing the order in the car, and they rushed over to punch a hole in the building with the excavator while she was signing it," Hansen said." We don't know the actual timeline or how/when they served said stay to the demolition company. There is no comment in the article from said company. Did they actually "rush" to punch a hole in the building?

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » September 25th, 2016, 6:56 pm

And then dumped part of the parking lot in it/
Reading comprehension fail or insider knowledge? The article says, "Demolition work on the building was halted. With the building off limits, the contractors then moved to tear up the asphalt parking lot." I don't see where it was "dumped part of the parking lot in it".

Also, the article only has one side saying, ""The contractor knew that the judge was literally on the theater grounds signing the order in the car, and they rushed over to punch a hole in the building with the excavator while she was signing it," Hansen said." We don't know the actual timeline or how/when they served said stay to the demolition company. There is no comment in the article from said company. Did they actually "rush" to punch a hole in the building?
They did indeed push asphalt, dirt, and rubble into the lobby of the building after they were ordered to halt demolition. I stopped by there yesterday evening and observed with my own eyes. The latest round of pictures all clearly show this.

Also, that isn't a one-sided comment. That is exactly what happened according to all witnesses who were there. There was no hole in the building prior to the judge arriving on the property. Between the time of her arriving on the property (and making her presence known) and signing the papers granting an injunction, the demolition company punched a hole in the building's facade.

FURTHER, improper measures were taken to contain demolition debris. There was no chain-link fence securing the site, just a crime scene ribbon and a small section of orange construction fence. The debris was not sprayed down with water to prevent it from flying all over the place. There is now photographic evidence this morning of demolition silt and sludge flowing into the parking lot's storm drains thanks to the rain storm yesterday -- which drain into the nearby lake. The PCA is now involved in this debacle. Many laws were broken by Inland Development/Brixmor yesterday. All because some greedy sons-of-bitches want their $4,000,000 in tax increment financing -- historic building and environment be damned.

Good job, Inland. Glad to know you care so much about the welfare of Birdtown. :roll:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 25th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 25th, 2016, 10:05 pm

So frustrating.

I don't think I'm being melodramatic when I say that the Terrace was easily the most architecturally significant building in Robbinsdale. Hard to believe that city was so cavalier about its demolition.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » September 27th, 2016, 3:23 pm

So frustrating.

I don't think I'm being melodramatic when I say that the Terrace was easily the most architecturally significant building in Robbinsdale. Hard to believe that city was so cavalier about its demolition.
Not even cavalier; it's like they are absolutely salivating to get rid of it for a ploppable big box, which would also level the hill the Terrace sits on. *sigh*

Judge Michael K. Browne was clearly not happy his original decision was appealed, and is seeking about 5 million dollars for a bond. I have no idea how anyone would be able to come up with that amount.

Further, it seems like even requesting an appeal doesn't belong in the fate of the judge who made a decision about the case the first time. People don't often like to admit they are wrong -- especially judges.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 27th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Hard to believe that city was so cavalier about its demolition.
Might have something to do with it being an abandoned building for 17 years.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 27th, 2016, 4:57 pm

The Grain Belt Brewery was vacant a lot longer than that. Probably should have demolished that too.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » September 27th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Hard to believe that city was so cavalier about its demolition.
Might have something to do with it being an abandoned building for 17 years.
Actually, it has nothing to do with that; that is just a red herring to take focus off the real issue. Several investors have tried to purchase it over the years. Structural engineers have declared the building to be sound. It was built with reinforced concrete, and even when the demo company took swipes at it (against a judge's direct order), it only took out some bricks.

What it has to do with is a quick payout, subsidies, and TIF financing.

http://www.startribune.com/hennepin-cou ... 395012311/

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » October 26th, 2016, 10:02 am

Well, the theater is demolished but many problems still linger. It appears that a major reason HyVee stepped back was due to issues with the final plat and frontage roads criss-crossing the property.

A portion of the West Broadway right-of-way is owned by the city, but it turns out that the other portion was actually built on an easement, so the city never actually bought the land. Because they never bought the land, when the stated reason for the easement is no more (no more service road) the land must revert back to the original owners. Now if this was 15 years ago, the city could just use eminent domain and condemn the property again and hand it over to Inland. BUT because that kind of usage of eminent domain was legislated out of existence, the city is stuck. If they give up the service road, the land goes back and they cannot force the owners to sell just to give it to Inland. That is now illegal. The developer could try to buy the land but if the owner says no, then they are stuck too. I'm sure they could get the lawyers involved but that will cost time and money and why would they want to do that when the can just go somewhere else and build a new store.

It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing that we lost the Terrace due to greed, idiocy, and speculation.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » November 16th, 2016, 6:12 pm

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » December 28th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Brainstorm: we tear down the VFW and St. Petersburg and build a gorgeous Hy-Vee themed hotel.
Then we open it up to the birdtown group who distastefully advertised themselves as being "HyVee +" for Destination Grocery Shopping vacations. They can stuff their faces full of take-and-bake pizza to their heart's content.

(Actually, that is kind-of Inland DP's plan. They want to plop a hotel on the site of the VFW. Then hotel guests can complain that there is nothing to do in Robbinsdale, and that the city needs a movie theater.)

Once upon a time, architects used to design buildings that fit with the natural landscape. They made their creations delightful to look at, walk around, and experience. Now, we erect cheap and ugly beige boxes and when the land doesn't conform to the developer's desires (flat), then they level it all off. It's true that "they no longer build 'em like the used to". I wonder how Robbinsdale residents feel about the 20 ft dropoff that will be appearing along France Avenue? Oh wait, the city neglected to mention that little detail.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 29th, 2016, 11:33 am

Once upon a time, architects used to design buildings that fit with the natural landscape.
Oh come on, what's a streetscape without a few thousand retaining blocks to look at? https://goo.gl/maps/kGkExRnKgEC2

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 29th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Mmm blaming architects. Original.

This is 100% a development driven project. If architects had the upper hand, almost every building would be as wonderful as you imagine.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » December 30th, 2016, 9:54 am

Mmm blaming architects. Original.

This is 100% a development driven project. If architects had the upper hand, almost every building would be as wonderful as you imagine.
I'm not blaming architects. It just stinks knowing that there once was something quite beautiful made out of the finest materials, and is getting replaced by a 91,000 sq. ft beige ticky-tacky beheamoth with peel-and-stick "windows" and foam-injected "stucco".

I'm blaming Brixmor, who warehoused the property and let it turn into a blighted mess, despite the fact that the building qualified to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. I'm also blaming Brixmor for ignoring David Leonhardt et. al for 2+ years of trying to purchase the theater, as well as a few others whom I've had the opportunity to speak with. The whole canard about "why didn't anyone try to do something until the last minute?" is downright false.

I also lay blame on the Robbinsdale City Council and City Manager, who have neither vision nor foresight. They directly worked against residents who were trying to fix the place up, in favor of a big corporate out-of-state grocer that is oversaturating the Twin Cities market. The whole thing reeks of corruption and kickbacks.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 13th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Tuesday's EDA meeting revealed that Hy Vee is going to build the store closer to France Ave to remove the trench between the building and the street. That will give lots of cool roof access to local teenagers and thrill seekers. Also say construction could start as late as May 2018.

http://www.robbinsdalemn.com/home/showdocument?id=5371

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » January 14th, 2017, 12:08 am

Related (from the packet):

I have never in my life seen a garage with so many gables. (Although I have an inkling there may be a house discreetly tucked behind the garage)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 14th, 2017, 12:14 am

The most architecturally ornamented above-garage ADU contest winner?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 29th, 2017, 9:16 am

First non-senior apts in Robbinsdale in 30 years proposed near Future blue line station.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/09/bea ... bbinsdale/

at40man
Rice Park

Ugly generic apartments going up next to ugly generic big box in Robbinsdale

Postby at40man » October 18th, 2017, 10:48 am

"Last night Inland Development Partners shared a concept for redevelopment of the American Legion/St Petersburg site to the Robbinsdale Economic Development Authority. This is a very early concept plan. The developer has previously met with the tenants in the building so that they were aware that there of the purchase agreement and concept plan for the building.

"The proposed project was presented to REDA/Council members as the next step is to request support for a funding grant request to the Metropolitan Council in November. The planning and financing options for the project will be studied over the next few months with the target for Planning Commission review in February 2018. Early concept is a building with 216units, underground parking for tenants, and a retail portion facing CR81/36th Ave N corner. The developer is conducting a market study which will provide guidance on unit size and pricing."

sean
Block E

Postby sean » October 19th, 2017, 12:56 pm

It's really a damn shame that the theater was leveled. Like you said upthread, at40man, would have been nice to put the Hy-Vee in the lower level of this new development. Hope the St. Petersburg finds a new home nearby, and it keeps its charm, but glad at least another surface lot is being removed/reduced.