St. Anthony Village

Twin Cities Suburbs
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

St. Anthony Village

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2016, 12:59 pm

St. Anthony Village RV park set to sell to developer, residents asked to move
http://www.lillienews.com/articles/2016 ... asked-move

The residents of nearly 100 homes in St. Anthony were told Wednesday that they would have to pack up and leave within a year's time. According to the owners of Lowry Grove, LLP, a trailer park located off the 2500 block of Lowry Avenue N.E., the property is being sold to a developer.

15 acres, directly across Stinson from NE Mpls. Tenants will be compensated for moving per state law. "Though Tomas isn't yet sure what her company will do with the land -- it has a year to figure it out -- she did confirm that it would no longer be a trailer park." Also said it won't be "a big box department store."

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby seanrichardryan » April 28th, 2016, 1:55 pm

That's sad. It's been a delightful anomaly in NE. The site has some amazing trees though.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby seanrichardryan » April 28th, 2016, 9:55 pm

http://www.startribune.com/st-anthony-m ... 7521671/#1
Artist Nina Guertin’s home borders the mobile home park.

“There are just some beautiful people who live there, but there has been a mix of the rougher side of life,” she said.

A part of her will welcome a new development that will breathe new life into the neighborhood.
If she's using any of St. Anthony's 'new development' of the last 2 decades, they're better off sticking with the current use.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: St. Anthony Village

Postby bapster2006 » April 29th, 2016, 11:57 am

I eat lunch across the street often at Catrina's. Yea, I hope they keep some of those big trees. The trailer's and RVs are packed in there so hopefully they can all find new places.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » April 29th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I live a couple of blocks away and for a trailer park it is really pretty quiet.

There is so much senior housing right there it makes me wonder if one of these properties has decided to expand on that plot. I can't imagine they'd put retail there since the strip mall across the street seems to always have empty store fronts.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 29th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Maybe it's time for St. Anthony to redesign Kenzie Terrace so it could develop into a proper main street over time westward to Stinson/Lowry. It sure could use the help.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 29th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Trailer parks are pretty dense places, so it'll be illuminating to see if the new development matches the current level. I counted roughly 114 "units" on the property based on the most recent Google Maps aerials -- mostly full mobile homes, but also a number of RVs. There were also about 18 open spaces (total capacity roughly 132 spots).

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » April 29th, 2016, 4:10 pm

What sort of input does Minneapolis get on the Stinson Parkway frontage, if any? If the future development follows the pattern established on Kenzie Terrace it could end up looking pretty bad...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 29th, 2016, 5:45 pm

MPRB may get a little say - it's their facility. Minneapolis would get zero say, unless for some reason they wanted to put up money and StA accepts.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » April 29th, 2016, 9:34 pm

I can't imagine either the city or MPRB would have any say, other than maybe regulating curb cuts. I certainly wouldn't judge possible future development based on what Kenzie Terrace is like today. Everyone had their moments in the 60s, right? Apache Plaza site is probably more representative of what St Anthony Village would do today.

Stinson Blvd is not the greatest parkway in the system, but it makes sense to prize frontage on any parkway... especially if Kenzie Terrace is the alternative. So I doubt anything would be too bad on Stinson.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 14th, 2016, 7:23 am

There's a state law allowing mobile home park residents to make alternative offers, and the people at the Lowry Grove trailer park organized an offer for the property, submitted via the affordable housing nonprofit Aeon last Friday. It's unclear if anyone has ever used this law before.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/06/10 ... me-funding

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 14th, 2016, 7:43 am

I am so torn on this.

It seems great on the surface that these residents may be able to stay. OTOH when you read stories about where they are at - spending far more than their mobile home is worth just to keep it habitable, but it's not even up to code to move so they essentially have zero equity... Combined with the massive liabilities they would be assuming by buying the park (didn't an article say sewer/water/etc systems need full replacement?) and it seems like a bad idea.

At the end of the day, I think it's right that these residents have control of their own destiny as allowed in state law. But I just feel like it's something that has the potential to be an anchor dragging people down more rather than a platform to grow wealth and stability.

Maybe the residents can use their right-of-first-refusal, then turn around and sell the property for slightly more. Or some other deal that gives residents some of the real equity in the land they live on. I am involved with a MSP non-profit that was able to buy a property for $5 million due to a contractual right-of-first-refusal, and then was able to sell the property less than two years later for well over $8 million on much more favorable terms to a local media/sports magnate. It was a good deal.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 21st, 2016, 3:18 pm

Lowry Grove plans unveiled: http://finance-commerce.com/2016/10/dev ... home-site/

"five multifamily and senior buildings with about 800 units"
"Two sides of the development would be lined with 35 to 40 owner-occupied townhomes, one side along Stinson Parkway and the other abutting a row of single-family homes on 27th Avenue Northeast."
"About 90 of the 840 total planned units would be considered affordable"

They're also looking into acquiring the Bremer Bank site on the south end for a commercial development.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 15th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Tsunami in St. Anthony: Antonia Alvarez's holy war to save her mobile home park
http://citypages.com/news/tsunami-in-st ... /416165003

"Since the first meeting, Antonia had rallied her neighbors to file a lawsuit to undo the sale to the new owners, a development company called The Village. Now residents were in a kind of purgatory, waiting to see if they would be evicted from their homes."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 12th, 2017, 7:37 am

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 8th, 2017, 12:33 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 5th, 2017, 7:54 am

And another lawsuit. Seems AEON lied about their finances and the signatures weren't up to snuff.

http://www.citypages.com/news/suit-lowr ... /425969984

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2017, 9:56 am

Housing discrimination complaint from Lowry Grove mobile home park dismissed.
The complaint dealt with the much-debated sale of St. Anthony's only mobile home park, which recently closed. http://www.startribune.com/lowry-grove- ... 434284013/

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 13th, 2017, 6:51 pm

This is so damn tragic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » October 11th, 2017, 11:44 am

A revised re-development proposal was rejected on density grounds:

http://www.startribune.com/st-anthony-c ... 450146023/
http://www.startribune.com/st-anthony-r ... 450433893/

Rumblings from some who believe the process was simply a ploy to get the mobile-home park removed:
"Never during the process was there a concern about density," said Traci Tomas, vice president of the Village, the developer that bought Lowry Grove. "I have certainly been misled."

Tomas said the city has previously supported the project and its proposed unit count, as shown in earlier environmental assessment documents. The city, she said, had also indicated it would revise its comprehensive plan to reconcile the density discrepancy. Tomas said the Village would not have bought the property if it had been limited to building 25 units an acre.

"I'm left just contemplating," Tomas said, "did they plan this all along so that I would close the park?"
“Was this the plan all along?” asked Ned Moore of Asamblea de Derechos Civiles, a local advocacy group that has worked with Lowry Grove families. “To play bait and switch with the developer as long as it accomplished your goal of getting rid of the park? This isn’t a game.”