Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
Snelbian
Rice Park

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby Snelbian » December 23rd, 2014, 3:54 pm

I just read the Wicklund case earlier, and it references $186 million in city and state financing for initial development.http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-supreme-c ... 24143.html

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 24th, 2014, 12:01 am

The protesters absolutely did not interfere with shopping AT ALL. I was there. People could very easily move around the protesters if they wanted to. It was Bloomington PD and the Mall who ordered stores closed and blocked off the rotunda and adjacent walkways. Lush employees came out and joined the protesters. The police forced them back into their store and locked the door. Any lost business and police costs is 100% the fault of the city and the mall. I mean, they called in help from other cities? WTF?

If you listen to interviews Michael Mcdowell has given, it's clear he and the other organizers worked closely with Bloomington PD beforehand. He talks about having a discussion with the police about the amount of time the protesters wanted to have and once they got it, they would leave. That's exactly what happened. The protest broke up when the organizers sent out text messages telling people it was over. It was very smartly and professionally handled by organizers and Bloomington PD. I don't blame the police one bit for this. This is on the mall and the city of Bloomington.

It feels like about 1962 given all the fear rhetoric surrounding this action.

The mall indicated protesters might be arrested and banned from the mall for a year. Now the city attorney is raising the stakes to score political points. It's reprehensible.

BTW, she has a history of challenging first amendment rights for political gain: http://www.examiner.com/article/is-bloo ... nt-crusade

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 24th, 2014, 12:06 am

I'll just post a previous FB status update about this:

"'They were involved in a situation that was very potentially dangerous,' city prosecutor Sandra Johnson said."

My fellow white people, here is the problem with this. We've constructed a society based on fear, primarily fear of the Black man. "Very potentially dangerous?" That's ridiculous. The ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ movement has a track record of non-violent action. Yes, I know the Mall of America is listed as a potential terrorist target. If it was so damn dangerous, police should have blocked off the rotunda *before* the protests and prevented any large crowds from gathering.

I mean, just a couple of weeks ago thousands of mostly white people gathered at Mall of America to sing Zach Sobiech's "Clouds." Surely that also was a worthwhile action but I didn't hear any concerns about safety with that event. On the contrary, the Mall welcomed it with open arms. If the Mall were truly concerned about terrorism, they would prevent *any* events involving large crowds.

One event, mostly white, involved singing about a disease ravaging young people. The other event, multi-racial, involved singing about a disease ravaging young Black people. Which one was banned, and why?

‪#‎whiteprivilege‬

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 24th, 2014, 1:04 am

Amen.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 24th, 2014, 11:50 am

I'll just post a previous FB status update about this:

"'They were involved in a situation that was very potentially dangerous,' city prosecutor Sandra Johnson said."

My fellow white people, here is the problem with this. We've constructed a society based on fear, primarily fear of the Black man. "Very potentially dangerous?" That's ridiculous. The ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ movement has a track record of non-violent action. Yes, I know the Mall of America is listed as a potential terrorist target. If it was so damn dangerous, police should have blocked off the rotunda *before* the protests and prevented any large crowds from gathering.

I mean, just a couple of weeks ago thousands of mostly white people gathered at Mall of America to sing Zach Sobiech's "Clouds." Surely that also was a worthwhile action but I didn't hear any concerns about safety with that event. On the contrary, the Mall welcomed it with open arms. If the Mall were truly concerned about terrorism, they would prevent *any* events involving large crowds.

One event, mostly white, involved singing about a disease ravaging young people. The other event, multi-racial, involved singing about a disease ravaging young Black people. Which one was banned, and why?

‪#‎whiteprivilege‬
You are conveniently skipping over key words to turn what the mall did into a race issue.
#1 - the Clouds program was planned through the mall as basically a sing along. The mall plans very differently for "singing" versus "demonstrating".
#2 - We have already seen violent demonstrations in other cities and it is not uncommon for there to be confrontations whether they are provoked or unprovoked with events like this. It doesn't matter what the race is, what the age is, what organization it is, when you use the word "demonstration" or "movement" you invoke an image that is typically one of aggressiveness, verbal or physical.
#3 - whether you believe it or not, I'm guessing not, the police and security presence is there for both keeping groups in line, but also protecting them from other groups that could potentially use something like this to make their "statement"; especially when it was highly publicized before hand.
I'm not taking sides with this, but I'm guessing you'll tear me to shreds anyway. I'm just trying to look at this from a property owner point of view.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 24th, 2014, 2:23 pm

frankly it's offensive that MOA is named after a country that used to have slaves
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » December 24th, 2014, 3:27 pm

when you use the word "demonstration" or "movement" you invoke an image that is typically one of aggressiveness, verbal or physical
That's messed up.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 7th, 2015, 12:35 pm

The Rainforest Cafe is temporarily closing and moving to the third floor.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/ ... /21392825/

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 7th, 2015, 12:50 pm

#1 - the Clouds program was planned through the mall as basically a sing along. The mall plans very differently for "singing" versus "demonstrating".
You seem to have missed the point of the comparison. My point was in regard to the Mall being considered a terrorist target. Under that line of thinking, *any* large group is a threat.
#2 - We have already seen violent demonstrations in other cities and it is not uncommon for there to be confrontations whether they are provoked or unprovoked with events like this.
Except the Black Lives Matter Minneapolis has an established history of non-violence and of working with the police, which they apparently did with Bloomington PD. Very closely, in fact.
It doesn't matter what the race is
The entire point of #BlackLivesMatter is that race *does* matter, in almost every aspect of our society.
when you use the word "demonstration" or "movement" you invoke an image that is typically one of aggressiveness, verbal or physical.
What Snelbian said.
#3 - whether you believe it or not, I'm guessing not, the police and security presence is there for both keeping groups in line, but also protecting them from other groups that could potentially use something like this to make their "statement"; especially when it was highly publicized before hand.
As I said, Bloomington PD acted professionally and responsibly. I in no way blame BPD for any of this.
I'm not taking sides with this, but I'm guessing you'll tear me to shreds anyway.
I have no interest in tearing anyone to shreds. My interest in in dialog and action to end racism.
I'm just trying to look at this from a property owner point of view.
One of the issues is whether the Mall (or any such space) is quasi-public, not only due to public subsidy but also because of its social aspects. The Mall very explicitly invites the public onto its property to make money. It acts very much like a set of public streets. When owners allow one kind of demonstration and not another, they seem to be on shaky ground.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 7th, 2015, 12:57 pm

My guess is that they will move into the empty space next to the event center. This would put them in a better spot so that they are up along restaurant row on the south side of the 3rd floor. That will open up their old space for retail which fits better with the other stores that surround that space. After 20 years, the place should have been amortized off. It is now time for a new experience and with the new technology that is out there. Hopefully a more interesting experience. Hopefully the food will be better too!

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » January 8th, 2015, 8:07 am

As usual, Tevlin breaks it down nicely.
http://www.startribune.com/local/west/287863681.html

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » January 8th, 2015, 12:40 pm

My guess is that they will move into the empty space next to the event center. This would put them in a better spot so that they are up along restaurant row on the south side of the 3rd floor. That will open up their old space for retail which fits better with the other stores that surround that space. After 20 years, the place should have been amortized off. It is now time for a new experience and with the new technology that is out there. Hopefully a more interesting experience. Hopefully the food will be better too!

Indeed! I would imagine it will take several weeks for the dust to settle back down after the plastic plants are relocated to their new storage locker for the next 20 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see an air pollution advisory for that wing of the mall over the next several weeks..

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 8th, 2015, 10:37 pm

You don't have to speculate. The new location is in the article.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 8th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Ain't nobody got time to read articles.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 9th, 2015, 9:54 am

Ain't nobody got time to read articles.
Next to Bubba Gump. The only 'empty' restaurant space available along the 3rd floor restaurant row.

I really love what MOA has done with it's remodel plans - it's very thoughtful and smart.
Glad to see the Rainforest Cafe will be staying!

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 12th, 2015, 2:24 pm

I, too, like what they've been doing with the place; it looks very sleek and modern.

However, I do miss all the specialty stores. It doesn't seem like there are as many as there once were. I could spend hours in the model train store...

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 12th, 2015, 2:26 pm

I walked in this west side and I was so disoriented because of how different it looks!

Honestly though, I felt like I was walking into retail heaven with how white, bright and open it is! That must be good, right?

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » January 12th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I, too, like what they've been doing with the place; it looks very sleek and modern.

However, I do miss all the specialty stores. It doesn't seem like there are as many as there once were. I could spend hours in the model train store...
I miss the sci-fi toy/collectors store from around the time the mall opened.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 12th, 2015, 11:39 pm

I could spend hours in the model train store...
Scale Model Supply in St. Paul?

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » January 13th, 2015, 7:53 am

I could spend hours in the model train store...
Scale Model Supply in St. Paul?
I was going to suggest exactly that. Though I sometimes wonder how low their rent is given the number of model kits they've obviously had in stock since 1990 (bonus, if you're looking for old out-of-production model kits, they're your guys!).