Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
spectre000
Landmark Center

Radisson Blu - Bloomington

Postby spectre000 » June 2nd, 2012, 1:18 pm

Carlson Cos. began work on a 15-story, 500 room hotel adjacent to the Mall of America in May '11. It's expected to open next year.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Re: Radisson Blu

Postby spectre000 » June 2nd, 2012, 1:21 pm

A construction update from today. I wasn't too impressed with the render, but seeing it in person, it's much better looking. Still not a fan of the orange exterior part. But overall, it's not as bad as I thought.

DSCN1191 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1192 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1193 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1194 by spectre 000, on Flickr

Didier
Capella Tower

Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby Didier » June 3rd, 2012, 10:14 am

To get things back up and running, of note from the last few weeks is that Forever 21 is moving into one of the spaces formerly occupied by Bloomingdales. I believe it will take the first floor and previously unused basement space. No word on who takes the other two spaces, but Zara appears to be a front-runner for one of them.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 3rd, 2012, 10:16 am

I was just there the other day and couldn't tell: are the reddish-orange areas going to be permanent, or are they going to be covered eventually? The renderings imply that there will be some color, which is good, but I think the bright color up right now looks good.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Mall of America

Postby Tcmetro » June 4th, 2012, 7:18 am

The City of Bloomington is in the process of approving sign code changes for the Mall, allowing new (and more) advertisements at the former Bloomingdales site and across the entire mall. The Bloomingdales space will be divided into 10 stores, including the Forever 21 in the basement level.

Here are some renders and concepts: http://www.ci.bloomington.mn.us/pccases/08235C12.pdf

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 4th, 2012, 9:43 am

Thats what I thought. That the upper two floors were going to be cut up. I think that that will be successful.
^ 4-d

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 4th, 2012, 9:47 am

I am not sure on that, The orange looks good to me too. I think in reality the different levels created on the face are a lot more distinguishable than they were in the rending. I am glad that this isn't such a huge monolith like Hyatt in DT or some of the other hotels that get built. Obviously since it is a Radisson Blu they hold it to a higher standard as they should considering its location.
^ 4-d

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 4th, 2012, 9:52 am

All of the orange areas looked like insolation when I went past yesterday. It looks like they will be covered, according to the rendering, partially with orange pre-cast sections.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 4th, 2012, 10:05 am

I would love to see Zara go in. I went to their store in NYC this spring, and liked their selection a lot. Really nice clothes for men, and not too high of price. Would be a great addition.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 4th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Uniqlo would be amazing I think.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 11th, 2012, 1:44 pm

anybody know when they build the Mayo clinic segment will that be enough for them to attach Ikea via skyway?

I hate going to the mall and having to drive again to go to Ikea! I wouldn't dare take my chances on the streets walking :lol:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 11th, 2012, 1:49 pm

anybody know when they build the Mayo clinic segment will that be enough for them to attach Ikea via skyway?

I hate going to the mall and having to drive again to go to Ikea! I wouldn't dare take my chances on the streets walking :lol:
Or lose my MOA space that took an hour to secure!!

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 11th, 2012, 9:28 pm

I have walked from the transit station to IKEA before, and you have to walk through ditches and across those ridiculously wide streets that everybody speeds down because they are basically freeways. not fun.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 10:38 am

They will be moving Landau to below grade for part of the Phase 2, which I think the road work starts this summer, with utilities relocation. Then you will be able to walk across that busy street with less fear.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » June 13th, 2012, 10:44 am

The second floor will need some very good design to not feel like a dead zone on that end-- the only major area of the mall without any atria. I do like they way they've divided things up, though I'm not sure I understand why tenants B, C, and D don't show internal escalators, because they must have them. Possibly they're leaving that up to them at build-out? Also looks like the skyways from tenants B, E, and F to the parking ramp will be closed. That seems like a really bad idea to me. The drawings aren't totally clear, but that's how they're reading to me. Please convince me otherwise!

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 13th, 2012, 12:03 pm

The second floor will need some very good design to not feel like a dead zone on that end-- the only major area of the mall without any atria. I do like they way they've divided things up, though I'm not sure I understand why tenants B, C, and D don't show internal escalators, because they must have them. Possibly they're leaving that up to them at build-out? Also looks like the skyways from tenants B, E, and F to the parking ramp will be closed. That seems like a really bad idea to me. The drawings aren't totally clear, but that's how they're reading to me. Please convince me otherwise!

no it looks to me that the skyway will be open on the 2nd and 3rd levels still. The 1st floor will have an additional structure but may still support a roadway entrance (if not the skyway is only 1 floor up)

Also I think they may have not shown a escalator (B,C and D) because the Mall won't provide them with one when they turn it over for the retailer to build out. In which case i would guess that some of them may only have a stair case and a elevator (if the elevator was already installed in the back which I think it is) because of the additional costs. Granted Old Navy builds their own in there store I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them decides a stairs is enough with the elevator to use too. Also having two separate stores could be better too! kinda like how above A&F used to be a A&F outlet store but was not connected & I seen Baby Gap above a Gap store before with no direct access. It would make sence if they decide to divide the store into "2 different" stores to increase sales floor and reduce costs (the public escalator is right outside anyways PLUS they will have a skyway on the back side with a elevator in the parking ramp for people to select the correct floor. It would seem that a cost cutting measure by keeping the floors separate would work well.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 18th, 2012, 11:08 am

I should mention. The MOA is hideous, so it's pretty cool that this is going up and blocking some of the view of the mall. Everyone, knows that the Mall is there, so this creates sort of a synergy. I am hopeful that something like this will happen on the other sides of the mall as well.
^ 4-d

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 18th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Ooh, I am actually enjoying the orange. IA with others, this looks better than the actual mall.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » June 18th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Oops, I forgot to attach this:

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 21st, 2012, 12:18 pm

it was already posted via a link but either way better to have a pix option :)

but also I still stick to my original statement, also notice the slanted wall between tenant B & E as you get next to the skyway.
the reason for that I can only assume is because they will have a equal entrance from the skyway. They would have to be insane to
remove the skyway entrance. Of course having a additional entrance for stores can be a issue but if they are using that anchor site
they should be required to keep the doors unlocked as that is a major entrance point into the mall. Also they would loose a lot of
traffic if they didn't.