Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby LakeCharles » December 23rd, 2016, 1:46 pm

The Trylon is quite near the Blue Line.

Yea, cause when you want to watch the new Star Wars movie... watching an old western movie is just as good? Come on now, you know what he meant.
I did know what he meant, and I never claimed one could watch the new Star Wars at the Trylon, I was just pointing out that there is in fact still a theater on the Blue Line, even if not a major first run theater. Sorry to have upset you.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » December 23rd, 2016, 5:56 pm

Yeah there's the Trylon and Riverview isn't a bad walk either. I meant the first run theaters like Block E and MOA.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 24th, 2016, 4:37 pm

My friend that's presently a projectionist there was apparently offered the opportunity to come back and be a projectionist when the renovation is complete, so apparently the Entertainment Experience will include some sort of theater still.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

BruiserB
City Center

Postby BruiserB » December 25th, 2016, 7:38 am

St Anthony Main theater is close to downtown and can be walked from the light rail or just a quick bus connection across the river. Smaller theaters but usually showing the major new releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 5th, 2017, 12:05 pm

With the Kmart/Sears closings news, here's a fun bet: Which closes first? Sears at MOA or Lake Street Kmart? We have to assume Sears at MOA is a massive loss leader. I mean, is anyone actually shopping there? Sears owns their building. I imagine they'd be out in a heartbeat if a mystery department store stepped in to open at MOA - problem is that just isn't likely. MOA itself isn't going to step in and buy them out like they did Bloomingdales.

EDIT: I moved the replies relevant to Lake Street Kmart to that thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=150&start=300#p126263

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 5th, 2017, 1:37 pm

With the Kmart/Sears closings news, here's a fun bet: Which closes first? Sears at MOA or Lake Street Kmart? We have to assume Sears at MOA is a massive loss leader. I mean, is anyone actually shopping there?
I sometimes park near Sears when I go to MOA, and whenever I walk through there to enter the mall, there's always activity. Once in a while I'll buy something there myself. Of course, I don't know what the actual numbers are like.

I've never been in the Lake Street Kmart, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does well -- not exactly a lot of competition in the area, for one thing.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 5th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Totally unrelated, but I read in the Sun Current today that MOA is/was Bloomington's only movie theater. A little surprising when you think about it.

Sure, Southdale AMC is pretty close for north-central Bloomington folks, and Eden Prairie AMC isn't too far for those west of 100/Normandale in "Prestigious West Bloomington". But for a city of nearly 90,000 to not have a single movie theater screen...wow. It is rumored that the new "entertainment complex" will still include movies in some form, but if the new "theater" only carries $20 showings in 4D with motion seats and smell-o-vision, I'd argue that's not really the same thing as going to AMC for $11-12.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 5th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Totally unrelated, but I read in the Sun Current today that MOA is/was Bloomington's only movie theater. A little surprising when you think about it.

Sure, Southdale AMC is pretty close for north-central Bloomington folks, and Eden Prairie AMC isn't too far for those west of 100/Normandale in "Prestigious West Bloomington". But for a city of nearly 90,000 to not have a single movie theater screen...wow. It is rumored that the new "entertainment complex" will still include movies in some form, but if the new "theater" only carries $20 showings in 4D with motion seats and smell-o-vision, I'd argue that's not really the same thing as going to AMC for $11-12.
You'd have to think that the (inspired-to-be-again) nation's largest mall would have SOME kind of movie theater, since that is such a common thing for a mall to have (essential, almost). So I'm with you in thinking that this new venue or another potential venue is going to quickly replace the lost theater.

Also unrelated, the MOA needs a pool/wave pool in my opinion.....one that puts Wisconsin Dells to shame! We need a retreat from the winter-time blues aside from Water Park of America (soon to be yet another Wolf Lodge resort).

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 18th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Mall of America's replacement for movie theaters: More movie theaters

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... aters.html
The CMX Theater will be much more upscale compared to the previous Mall of America theaters, which were operated by the mall. They'll offer reclining seats, grab-and-go dining options and a selection of wines and cocktails.

All rooms will have large recliners with swivel tables. Each chair will also have a LED light and storage compartments for purses and shopping bags.

Construction for the theaters will take nine months to finish.
That seems like a VERY long time to do a facelift. Other theaters seem to get through the makeover in a few months.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 18th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Haven't been to a movie at MOA in forever so can't remember their layout, but they may have been built pre-stadium seating, which could mean a much more involved reconstruction than just a facelift.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 18th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Last time I was there (3 or 4 years ago, probably), the auditorium I was in had traditional seating. Not sure if they were all that way.

I don't anticipate the food and beverage options being a big draw, though, considering it's already in the MOA.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 18th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Yep, it's all traditional seating presently. So they must be converting to stadium.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 18th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I hope they include ushers that kick people out for incessant talking and use of phones.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 18th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Me too. They're providing built-in lighting, though, so they may not see extraneous lighting as a concern.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 18th, 2017, 6:29 pm

What's the difference between stadium and "regular" seating?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 18th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Stadium seating is at a much steeper pitch -- you'll climb steps to go from one row to the next, so that you never have to worry about somebody's head blocking your view. Traditional seating has a gradual slope and no steps.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 25th, 2017, 9:24 am

As I mentioned in the Galtier thread, Cray's move into the office tower is finishing up now. The first regular day for employees is Monday. I've been in the building Thursday and Friday installing a computer lab that I manage there. One of the reasons I've been quiet on here is because I've been so busy planning and preparing for that move, so I'm glad to be over that hump.

There are some very impressive views from the building -- Minneapolis looms like a mountain in the distance and you can see all sorts of activity at the airport, including very close fly-bys from planes using the north-south runway (we might need to put in a webcam). Of course, downtown St. Paul seems a bit stunted in the distance, since it's at a much lower elevation.

The entrance from the food court area looks like it's all set up now, with prominent "The Offices @ MOA" signage in place. I hear that the whole office building is leased up now, but people have been tight-lipped about who the other tenant(s) is/are.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 27th, 2017, 9:48 am

Drove to the mall this weekend, and I was surprised by how far off in the distance you can see the "Cray" signage.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 28th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Today was my first day at the new office (worked remotely yesterday). I came in around 9:30 and literally no one was in my workarea. I panicked and thought I missed an important meeting or something. Eerie.

Somebody at work made this funny image so I LOL'd at that. I did actually have trouble finding the place at first. My view stinks (overlooks the Mall) but the view on the north side of the building is pretty impressive. I've a feeling the 10th floor deck is going to be a popular lunch spot. I hadn't seen the new north food court until today and it's a huge upgrade from what was there before.

Inexplicably, the first floor exit from the building is tucked away in the armpit between Nordstrom and the building itself. It's not easily accessible by foot or bike, really. There's a drop-off circle outside the door but it's impractical for anyone who actually parks at the Mall (I parked in the north surface lot). Apparently the third floor entrance is really the main functional entrance. Weird.

This is the first time I've ever worked in a completely brand new building and I gotta say it's pretty nice. The HVAC seems a bit noisy but they're still working the kinks out so I'm not complaining yet. Otherwise it's very quiet. Good soundproofing.

The layout of the space is pretty interesting. The common areas feel open and larger than they actually are. The work areas are nicely broken up so it doesn't feel like a sea of cubes even though it is. Having private bathrooms is really great!

Although I gotta say that I'm super disappointed that the showcase image in the customer lobby is a goddamn offshore oil rig.

I am waiting to see how the fancy-dancy new conference rooms work. I hope to God we don't have to dial in on the f'ing phone when conducting a Skype meeting. I raised this issue during the employee feedback phase of this endeavor. We'll see if anyone was listening.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 28th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Weird. I assumed that the office building had a solo entrance from that main dropoff area atop Lindau Lane.
(I parked in the north surface lot).
Is there not structured parking for office workers? I noticed a garage entrance underneath when I was last there. Is that just VIP and loading dock operations?