U.S. Highway 52

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: U.S. Highway 52

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2016, 2:13 pm

Regarding the CSAH 86 interchange: $3m state, $3.5m CSAH fund, $3.5m Dakota County. Majority non-local cash on this one. Interesting.

Regarding CSAH 66: The Dakota County CIP includes funding to study an interchange at this location, even as the RCI was built only a couple years ago.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » July 3rd, 2018, 10:28 am

After the idea was struck down during the initial planning process, the DMC board wants to know more about the financial feasibility of building a deck over Highway 52. The board approved a feasibility study regarding the deck at their meeting Thursday after a report on the future of transit from Richard Freese, Rochester’s director of public works.

The deck, which could run between the 2nd Street SW and Civic Center Drive NW/Highway 14 interchanges, would provide opportunities for new development in an area that would otherwise be unusable. While discussion at the meeting focused on the viability of simply creating the deck, DMC Corp. Board Chair R.T. Rybak was optimistic about the idea.
https://www.medcitybeat.com/news-blog/2 ... highway-52

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » July 3rd, 2018, 12:00 pm

And back in the early 90's planning of what became the mid-2000's reconstruction of 52, they looked at capping the freeway from 2nd to 6th Ave SW
Urbanist in the north woods

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 3rd, 2018, 12:06 pm

But it's just single family homes on the other side of 52, right? Seems like this isn't a compelling location to spend all of the money that building a cap would take.

niaxilin
City Center

Postby niaxilin » July 3rd, 2018, 12:12 pm

But it's just single family homes on the other side of 52, right? Seems like this isn't a compelling location to spend all of the money that building a cap would take.
Exactly my thoughts. This would be a parking lot over a freeway, butted up against a giant sound wall. I'm assuming the single-family neighborhood would keep the wall to avoid having a giant parking lot in their backyards. So it fails to re-connect the neighborhood, unlike the world-class Duluth cap.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 3rd, 2018, 12:15 pm

I think you might be confusing the stretch from 2nd to 6th (further south) with the stretch from 2nd to Civic Center. There is Cascade lake and park along with a fair number of multifamily housing units, and furthermore 2nd street to the west of 52 is a nice street, but doesn't get much investment. As far as 52 goes, this is the right spot to look at a cap IMO.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 3rd, 2018, 3:41 pm

2nd St SW to 6th St SW is in a "cut" that would make capping easy, yet it's SFH on both sides and a cap would be of lower value.

2nd St SW north towards Cascade Creek is where a cut would really shine (Miracle Mile redevelopment, improving walkability of 2nd St SW across 52, and providing stronger connections to the redevelopment near Cascade Lake... Yet the freeway is at grade with the surrounding street grid.

Sort of a shame they didn't put 52 in a cut north of 2nd St SW when it was rebuilt, since that would have made a cap easier.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » July 3rd, 2018, 5:23 pm

Quick side question:
The article references lids in Duluth, St Paul, and Edina. I know of Duluth, but where are the latter two? Does the author means the lids that are planned for those cities?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 4th, 2018, 8:51 am

lol at "ideation" in the article. Our director at work used that buzzword the other day and we're all like, "What the hell does that even mean?"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 4th, 2018, 11:10 am

lol at "ideation" in the article. Our director at work used that buzzword the other day and we're all like, "What the hell does that even mean?"
The word is actually quite old and was regularly used, but only in the context of suicidal ideation. So it's a weird and dark one to try to turn into a new buzzword.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 5th, 2018, 7:56 am

Quick side question:
The article references lids in Duluth, St Paul, and Edina. I know of Duluth, but where are the latter two? Does the author means the lids that are planned for those cities?
I was wondering the same thing. St. Paul does have a sort-of cap as you criss-cross on I-94 into downtown from the west, but I am fairly confident the author is referring to proposed caps at Rondo and 50th/100 in Edina.