Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Qhaberl » May 16th, 2018, 5:44 am

That’s so great to see! I love that Minneapolis continues to invest in our bicycle infrastructure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » May 16th, 2018, 8:14 am

The tweet link looks broken...
Perhaps this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/OurStreetsMp ... 7975774208

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 16th, 2018, 8:17 am

Good news. The 10th Avenue Bridge has an ADT less than 10k, there's absolutely not justification for it having two lanes in each direction.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 16th, 2018, 8:57 am

Fixed, I think.

Here it is again, as well:
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 16th, 2018, 10:17 am

Good news. The 10th Avenue Bridge has an ADT less than 10k, there's absolutely not justification for it having two lanes in each direction.
Yes, this is low-hanging fruit.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 16th, 2018, 12:14 pm

When I first saw this, I wondered how they would handle a two-way cycle track with both 19th and 10th having normal bike lanes. Clearly missed a bunch of the overhaul plans around the U of M. Man, I wish even half of this new infra had been available when I was attending.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 17th, 2018, 8:09 am

On a different note I run on the Cedar Lake Trail often through Downtown Minneapolis. This trail is great, however I wish it was interconnected more with the city around it. The entrances are few and hard to find. (You pretty much have to know where they are to find them. This contrasts starkly with the Midtown Greenway which is imperfect itself) Anyone have an ideas on how to better integrate this trail into the urban landscape?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 17th, 2018, 8:33 am

Actually, it seems like the connection at Azine Way is newish and pretty well used. It is fairly-well situated for connections to usable street routes. Still, to me, if/when the surface lot next to the Hewing Hotel and the trail gets developed, that would be a good place to construct a direct connection to Washington. As always, way finding could be improved relatively inexpensively.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 17th, 2018, 8:50 am

Agreed that the entrance to the Cedar Lake Trail are...not great. The West River Road entrance could use better signage. The entrance from Azine Way does look like it's been improved in recent years(?), but it's pretty tucked away. Then there's the Dock Street entrance, which you have to enter from what is essentially a private drive (and requires you to bike/walk through the parking pad/garage entrance for Dock Street Flats). Then Glenwood/Twins Way entrance is practically outside of downtown and, again, pretty tucked away.

There are obviously space issues to deal with when adding new entrances/ramps, but it would be great if there was a more direct connection to Washington (via the empty lot next to Hewing) and/or making Target Field Station a more multi-modal hub with some sort of bike entrance from 5th Street via the giant lot just north of the field.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 17th, 2018, 9:01 am

There are obviously space issues to deal with when adding new entrances/ramps, but it would be great if there was a more direct connection to Washington (via the empty lot next to Hewing) and/or making Target Field Station a more multi-modal hub with some sort of bike entrance from 5th Street via the giant lot just north of the field.
I agree, there needs to be a better connection to Target Field. I've seen fans down there unable to get up to the stadium. Unfortunately, that lot doesn't connect well with the street grid. I almost wonder if it would be better to do a bridge crossing over from beside the Ford Center and land in that empty lot. This would connect the new Target Field Station (United Properties Project), and all the breweries to the trail. I also agree about Washington Ave and the lack of space. Staircases are also a possibility.

This trail could also be marketed as a connection to the Lakes and Uptown from Downtown via signage and marketing. It also goes to the Sculpture Garden/Walker via a spur that goes under 394.

It's about 4 miles to Lake of the Isles/Grand Rounds and 2.6 to the Sculpture Garden from the river via the trail. Perhaps rename it the RiverLake Trail since the bicycle blvd in S. Minneapolis is largely forgotten.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7242541

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 17th, 2018, 9:47 am

A few weeks ago I saw that crews were ripping up Jackson Street in front of Regions Hospital to complete the Jackson Street bikeway that will go from University Ave to (almost) the river. What a pity that at Kellogg the trail essentially ends a block short with really no indication of how to get there. While yes the trail does get you to Sibley and has an arrow towards the river, one then has to go against the grain of a one way street (or the sidewalk). Still, it’ll be great that there will now be a real connection to the Gateway Trail.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 17th, 2018, 9:53 am

A few weeks ago I saw that crews were ripping up Jackson Street in front of Regions Hospital to complete the Jackson Street bikeway that will go from University Ave to (almost) the river. What a pity that at Kellogg the trail essentially ends a block short with really no indication of how to get there. While yes the trail does get you to Sibley and has an arrow towards the river, one then has to go against the grain of a one way street (or the sidewalk). Still, it’ll be great that there will now be a real connection to the Gateway Trail.
Is it really that confusing? It's not completely ideal to have to go a block on the new trail on Kellogg to Sibley and down Sibley to the river, but I never thought it was all that confusing. There's certainly plenty of signage telling you which way to go. And while I agree that the CCB stencils on the Sibley sidewalk aren't ideal either, that sidewalk is also 35' wide, which... seems fine.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 17th, 2018, 10:27 am

it’ll be great that there will now be a real connection to the Gateway Trail.
Do you mean something beyond getting from downtown to Jackson north of downtown, or is there a grander plan to actually connect Gateway to downtown? It's an abject mess at the moment, by the way. The trail is completely ripped up behind Kmart and it's a nightmare.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 17th, 2018, 10:34 am

Jackson connects to the trail at University (or so the signage says, I haven't been on the trail). As of Sunday, there was just a segment in front of the state buildings at 12th Street to be completed of the Jackson Street stretch of CCB.

Lots of signs about that being the way to get to the Gateway trail too.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 17th, 2018, 11:14 am

Yep. The CCB trail on Jackson connects to a trail on the north side of University to L'Orient, then on the east side of L'Orient to Pennsylvania, then east on the Pennsylvania/Phalen trail to the Vento Trail or north on a trail on the west side of Frontage Rd (ugh) to the Gateway.

The part behind Kmart should (hopefully) be reopened before too long. But the final Gateway alignment is waiting on a pittance from the bonding bill.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 18th, 2018, 8:44 am

I've noticed a lot of scooters/mopeds/whatever on the 3rd Ave Bike Lanes. One rider today insisted she was allowed to ride in the bike lanes. I tried looking this up on the city's website and etc. and couldn't find anything. The city linked to a state law that said no motor vehicles in the bike lane, but if it is under 50cc's is it not counted as a motor vehicle in a weird legal way?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 18th, 2018, 9:06 am

Would bike lanes be off limits to e-bikes then?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 18th, 2018, 9:34 am

If an electric motor counts as a motor they would be? But, I think I've read they're allowed if they have a top speed of 15mph or etc. Basically, if they behave like a bicycle they are allowed on the bicycle infrastructure I think is the legal logic. I know not all the electric bikes out there adhere to this. The scooters/mopeds are probably not allowed since they have a standard motor?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 18th, 2018, 10:08 am

The law is that the motor must be electric, and the motor must have a governor on it that prevents speeds above 20mph. When I got mine I was told I should probably carry a copy of the statute on me in case I ran into a clueless police officer.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 2nd, 2018, 7:51 pm

They're finally tearing up 29th Avenue at the Greenway to make that closure permanent.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]