B Line Lake St Rapid Bus, Midtown Rail Transit

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MNdible
is great.

Re: Calhoun Towers - 3430 List Place (295' - 24 stories)

Postby MNdible » October 31st, 2019, 10:07 am

And the interlining could presumably still happen to the west of the West Lake station -- it doesn't hurt anything to have split platforms at this location.

Silophant

Re: Calhoun Towers - 3430 List Place (295' - 24 stories)

Postby Silophant » October 31st, 2019, 1:31 pm

I can't imagine they'd build a separate OMF for the, what, maybe 12(?) LRVs that this line would use, so there would have to be a track connection to the other lines at at least one end, and an at-grade connection west of West Lake seems a lot more doable than tying into the Blue Line viaduct above the HiLake shopping center.

And, once you're running the vehicles out to the Shady Oak OMF anyway, why not have them stop at the rest of the stations in between?

Having a split platform isn't ideal, but it's less dumb than, say, the two separate platforms at Target Field that every train stops at both of.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

B Line / Midtown Rail

Postby jtoemke » October 31st, 2019, 1:36 pm

Silophant wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 1:31 pm
Having a split platform isn't ideal, but it's less dumb than, say, the two separate platforms at Target Field that every train stops at both of.
THIS

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: B Line Lake St Rapid Bus, Midtown Rail Transit

Postby Anondson » October 31st, 2019, 6:21 pm

My understanding was the Shady Oak OMF got downscaled from original proposal to do much less than an OMF.

alexschief
Rice Park

Postby alexschief » November 1st, 2019, 7:52 am

Anondson wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 6:21 pm
My understanding was the Shady Oak OMF got downscaled from original proposal to do much less than an OMF.
I mean, in a world where Midtown Rail is a go, you'd need more capacity at the Shady Oak OMF, so maybe part of that hypothetical budget includes expanding the facility to the originally planned size.

Besides the actual geometry of the West Lake Station area, the rest is purely hypothetical.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 1st, 2019, 1:12 pm

Also, heavy maintenance could still happen at the Hiawatha yard. You can get there from here, especially after hours for infrequent heavy maintenance.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 1st, 2019, 3:23 pm

MidtownConnection.jpg
If we do end up building the Midtown Corridor LRT/streetcar, I don't think it would be that complicated to connect it to the existing Blue Line viaduct and Lake Street station. I came up with this concept nearly a decade ago: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19D2Xl ... sp=sharing

Benefits:
- Same-platform transfers to the Blue Line.
- No new station infrastructure needed.
- Easy onward interlining (e.g. via Blue Line trackage to VA Medical Center then up West 7th for a single seat service from West Lake to Downtown St. Paul)
- Pocket track south of 32nd St for Midtown turnaround.
- HCRRA already owns this wye area (part of the former Milwaukee Road) immediately south of 28th St.
- Flying junction means that, within a certain approach window, eastbound Midtown trains could always hold short for southbound Blue Line trains to maintain schedule. Likewise, Midtown trains reversing in the pocket track could wait until immediately after a northbound Blue Line train before re-entering the station.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanPatchToget
US Bank Plaza

Postby DanPatchToget » November 15th, 2019, 3:30 pm

I emailed the people working on the B Line about extending the western terminus to Lake & France. They said that wasn’t considered because of their “station spacing guidelines” which requires stops every third- to half-mile (between France and West Lake Station is 0.2 miles). This is despite the fact that B Line buses will layover at that bus turnaround at Lake & France, so even though the buses are there I guess they won’t let people on. Seems silly to be strict on those guidelines when there’s a lot of development going on around there and walking along Lake Street on that particular segment isn’t exactly pleasant.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 15th, 2019, 3:46 pm

You should ask how they're reconciling their station spacing guidelines with having three separate stops at Nicollet, 35W, and 4th Ave S. Nicollet and 35W are only an eighth of a mile apart!

DanPatchToget
US Bank Plaza

Postby DanPatchToget » November 15th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Also the A Line has several exceptions to that guideline. A couple station spacings are less than a third of a mile and quite a few are more than half a mile. I don’t see why Lake & France should get the double standard especially since B Line buses will be on layover there.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 15th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Yeah, it's especially weird if the buses are going there anyway. Throw up a ticket machine and let people get on.

Return to “Transportation”