Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
SkyScraperKid
Nicollet Mall

Re: Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT)

Postby SkyScraperKid » September 20th, 2017, 1:15 am

SurlyLHT wrote:
September 19th, 2017, 3:36 pm
They do run one car on the Blue Line late at night on the weekends. I always notice it on the bridge over Lake St. since it stands out so much.
Now i'm curious, does the driver have to keep switching from end to end each run? Or does he get to drive backwards one run? Doubt they would have two drivers, one on each end just for that short trip. Thoughts? (in regards to the airport T1 to T2 shuttle when the blue line is shut down)

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 20th, 2017, 3:15 am

SkyScraperKid wrote:
September 20th, 2017, 1:15 am
SurlyLHT wrote:
September 19th, 2017, 3:36 pm
They do run one car on the Blue Line late at night on the weekends. I always notice it on the bridge over Lake St. since it stands out so much.
Now i'm curious, does the driver have to keep switching from end to end each run? Or does he get to drive backwards one run? Doubt they would have two drivers, one on each end just for that short trip. Thoughts? (in regards to the airport T1 to T2 shuttle when the blue line is shut down)
It would be kind of hard to operate backwards but yes the operator does switch ends at each terminal. Also I was mistaken, we are getting 5 new LRVs.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

DanPatchToget
Landmark Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 24th, 2017, 10:41 am

Anyone ride the very late night/very early morning trains? I started to since my overnight job is close enough to Target Field to be walkable, and I noticed quite a few people sleeping on the train. I can't say for certain that they are homeless, but I know some homeless people will just ride the train all night. When I got to 28th Avenue there were two people sleeping on the 4th story staircase of the parking ramp. I debated whether to call Metro Transit police or not, but decided not to. Should I have?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 24th, 2017, 12:34 pm

There are a number of homeless who ride the Green Line all night, and the #16 before. I think there's somewhat of an unofficial policy to just let them be during the overnight hours. MOA recently forced MT to close the transit center at night because they didn't want homeless sleeping there.

There's a few hundred homeless in Chicago that sleep on the Red and Blue lines, mostly because of safety concerns (and probably capacity issues as well) in the shelters.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » September 29th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Let 'em get a good night's sleep. They're not hurting anything if they're asleep.

Return to “Transportation”