Nicollet-Central Streetcar

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Re: Nicollet-Central Streetcar

Postby Multimodal » June 23rd, 2018, 8:28 am

DanPatchToget wrote:Fun fact (or maybe more of a sad fact): On this day in 1954 was the last revenue run for streetcars in the Twin Cities.
Don’t make me cry.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 26th, 2020, 4:27 pm

I hear there may be more updates about this project within the next couple months, but I don't know the nature of the updates. Anyone else hearing new things about this streetcar plan?

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » February 27th, 2020, 9:26 am

That would be great for the city they are making slow progress on this. This paired with the Midtown LRT would go a long way in making our train system functional for residents of the city to get to the places they want to go, not just commuters from the suburbs.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 27th, 2020, 10:41 am

Completely uninformed opinion: no way will this get built as rail.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 27th, 2020, 1:05 pm

amiller92 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:41 am
Completely uninformed opinion: no way will this get built as rail.
Are you thinking we've passed "peak streetcar"? Or are you just thinking the projected ridership doesn't justify it?

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza

Postby bubzki2 » February 27th, 2020, 1:09 pm

I support this primarily because it would necessitate getting the diesel buses off the mall in doing so. I also think out-of-towners would ride it, and it might boost tourism. The fiscally-responsible alternative? BEV Buses.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 27th, 2020, 1:34 pm

I think they should really push for median lanes on Central and extensions north to Columbia Heights (or even 53rd Ave) and south to 46th St (maybe even 66th St).

We should try to treat the streetcar as much as a light rail line (e.g dedicated median lanes where possible) as we can, because this pretty much the only shot at getting a real urban transit line that is not arterial BRT.

alexschief
Rice Park

Postby alexschief » February 27th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Nicollet-Central corridor should be served by aBRT. It'd be a much faster and cheaper project to implement, with none of the problems inherent to streetcars. If I made the rules, FTA would refuse to fund further rail projects that share lanes with vehicles. There is no justification for rail that does not have its own right-of-way, and any advocate for high-quality transit should ignore its siren song.

The rail focus for transit advocates in the city should be getting the Midtown corridor off the ground, and making sure that it is not a rinky dink one-car train stopping frequently at small platforms, when the density of activity in the corridor and dedicated ROW is suitable for light rail on par with the rest of the system.

Return to “Transportation”