Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
User avatar
LRV Op Dude
Union Depot
Posts: 319
Joined: July 7th, 2012, 10:30 am
Contact:

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby LRV Op Dude » January 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Mall of America Transit Center relocation for Routes 5, 54, 415, 444, 515, 538, 539, 540, 542, METRO Red Line.

https://www.metrotransit.org/mall-of-am ... o-red-line
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Qhaberl
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 623
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 9:51 am

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Qhaberl » January 12th, 2018, 5:46 pm

What do the current plans look like?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatchio
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 180
Joined: August 2nd, 2012, 6:49 am

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby thatchio » January 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm

can't be any worse than it currently is down there. That Red Line platform leaves much to be desired.

Qhaberl
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 623
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 9:51 am

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Qhaberl » January 12th, 2018, 9:23 pm

@thatchio - you are right about that. The whole transit station is disgusting. It will be nice to see what they do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1255
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 8:02 pm
Location: Chicago (ex-Minneapolitan)

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Tcmetro » January 12th, 2018, 9:42 pm

The new station will feature a separate bus entrance, more bus gates, no more bus/train interference, and a direct path to the interior of the mall. It should be really nice, and make the bus connections a lot more convenient.

Qhaberl
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 623
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 9:51 am

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Qhaberl » January 12th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Tcmetro wrote:The new station will feature a separate bus entrance, more bus gates, no more bus/train interference, and a direct path to the interior of the mall. It should be really nice, and make the bus connections a lot more convenient.
What do you mean by direct path to the mall? Can you explain a little more?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1255
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 8:02 pm
Location: Chicago (ex-Minneapolitan)

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Tcmetro » January 12th, 2018, 10:57 pm

There will be an access (stair/escalator/elevator) from the 1st floor east side (by the underwater adventures) to the new waiting area.

Check out this video:
https://youtu.be/v8pkTowqshc

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1448
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 15th, 2018, 9:38 am

Qhaberl wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 10:43 pm
What do you mean by direct path to the mall? Can you explain a little more?
I posted the plans on the previous page:

SurlyLHT
Target Field
Posts: 518
Joined: February 21st, 2017, 3:50 pm

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby SurlyLHT » January 15th, 2018, 9:46 am

It's interesting how in the rendering of the new station everyone looks like they're going to a business meeting at MOA. It's almost as if designers use middle to upperclass persons in the renderings to make decision makers view their project more favorably. When in fact some of these projects will benefit primarily lower and middle class folks. What's wrong with spending millions on infrastructure to help lower class persons?

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5521
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2018, 10:08 am

The people in renderings typically come from an online catalog -- sort of the equivalent of clip art. The selection in these catalogs tends to leave quite a bit to be desired, and tends to stray towards the corporate, but it's unlikely a deliberate decision by the people doing the renderings.

SkyScraperKid

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby SkyScraperKid » January 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

SurlyLHT wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 9:46 am
It's interesting how in the rendering of the new station everyone looks like they're going to a business meeting at MOA. It's almost as if designers use middle to upperclass persons in the renderings to make decision makers view their project more favorably. When in fact some of these projects will benefit primarily lower and middle class folks. What's wrong with spending millions on infrastructure to help lower class persons?
Yes, I completely agree more renderings of homeless passed out drunk in the waiting chairs.

Although... if the renderings actually were accurate and showed mostly low income then wouldn't we be outraged at it implying only poor people ride the bus? um.... It's impossible NOT to be outraged, and that is beyond outrageous! UGH!

SurlyLHT
Target Field
Posts: 518
Joined: February 21st, 2017, 3:50 pm

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby SurlyLHT » January 15th, 2018, 4:43 pm

SkyScraperKid wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm
SurlyLHT wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 9:46 am
It's interesting how in the rendering of the new station everyone looks like they're going to a business meeting at MOA. It's almost as if designers use middle to upperclass persons in the renderings to make decision makers view their project more favorably. When in fact some of these projects will benefit primarily lower and middle class folks. What's wrong with spending millions on infrastructure to help lower class persons?
Yes, I completely agree more renderings of homeless passed out drunk in the waiting chairs.

Although... if the renderings actually were accurate and showed mostly low income then wouldn't we be outraged at it implying only poor people ride the bus? um.... It's impossible NOT to be outraged, and that is beyond outrageous! UGH!
How about a guy with an overstuffed and very Minnesotan jacket on a bench reading the newspaper and a teenager leaning over using their phone?

Qhaberl
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 623
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 9:51 am

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Qhaberl » January 16th, 2018, 11:06 am

Thanks to whoever posted the video. I it gives me a much better idea of how it looks now versus how it will look.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
LRV Op Dude
Union Depot
Posts: 319
Joined: July 7th, 2012, 10:30 am
Contact:

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby LRV Op Dude » February 14th, 2018, 6:50 am

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Online
tmart
Landmark Center
Posts: 258
Joined: October 6th, 2017, 10:05 am
Location: Expat

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby tmart » February 14th, 2018, 10:26 am

Another re-bid? This seems to be a pattern developing, but I don't feel informed enough to speculate on what the significance is.

Bakken2016
Landmark Center
Posts: 275
Joined: September 20th, 2017, 12:40 pm
Location: North Loop

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Bakken2016 » February 14th, 2018, 11:58 am

tmart wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 10:26 am
Another re-bid? This seems to be a pattern developing, but I don't feel informed enough to speculate on what the significance is.
The lowest bid was a couple million over the budget.

Online
tmart
Landmark Center
Posts: 258
Joined: October 6th, 2017, 10:05 am
Location: Expat

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby tmart » February 14th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Bakken2016 wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 11:58 am
tmart wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 10:26 am
Another re-bid? This seems to be a pattern developing, but I don't feel informed enough to speculate on what the significance is.
The lowest bid was a couple million over the budget.
Sure, same with SWLRT (though there was the subcontractors issue there as well). My question is, this is two large-ish projects in a row that have had this issue; why? Are the budgets being set consistently lower than is feasible? Is the new Met Council director more of a hawk on complying with budgets? Is there a history of bidders intentionally highballing and still getting accepted? Or is this just a coincidence and not actually a meaningful pattern because there are lots of other bids that have gone smoothly and therefore have gone unnoticed?

EOst
Capella Tower
Posts: 2191
Joined: March 19th, 2014, 8:05 pm
Location: North End, Saint Paul

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby EOst » February 14th, 2018, 4:46 pm

I think a lot of construction bids are coming in higher than expected, and not just MTC ones. The general building boom is ongoing (arguably accelerating?) and the strong economy/low unemployment rate is probably putting upward pressure on construction wages.

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3433
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: The Gateway

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Silophant » February 14th, 2018, 7:13 pm

The before-it-even-hit-the-CPC cancellation of that 40-story project at 33 S 5th St was also blamed on construction bids coming in way higher than expected.

User avatar
Tiller
Foshay Tower
Posts: 803
Joined: January 17th, 2015, 11:58 am

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby Tiller » February 14th, 2018, 9:41 pm

tmart wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 10:26 am
Another re-bid? This seems to be a pattern developing, but I don't feel informed enough to speculate on what the significance is.
There's an active labor shortage in the construction trades and the economy is good, so construction inflation is high and affecting all projects like this. This is also the reason why 10 years ago during the recession would have been an ideal time for a large infrastructure bill, but not today. There's only so many workers to go around.


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tmart and 5 guests