Street, Road and Highway Projects

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby amiller92 » June 14th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I sat at the light on 11th yesterday and watched other drivers pull right into the new crosswalk marking, slow but never fully stop and turn right on red onto Franklin.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » June 18th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Does 11th change size as it goes through Franklin?
Yes, there's about a 5ft increase in width north of Franklin.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 21st, 2016, 3:44 pm

Special session talks go south
http://finance-commerce.com/2016/06/spe ... -go-south/
*UNLOCKED*

I now want Dayton to call the GOP's bluff and not bother with a special session. Their talking points are so tired and old, it's just dumb now. "NO! It's THEIR FAULT!" *stomps foot*

Anyhow, the downticket fallout from November is likely to be disasterous Nationally and at a State and Local level if the stars keep aligning. I really want the backlash to be epic.

Just my 2 cents.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 28th, 2016, 10:04 am

https://www.transportation.gov/fastlane ... ter-future
The Department [of Transportation] will visit each of these cities for two-days of on-site technical assistance to engage in a robust dialogue about their current infrastructure impediments with a broad group of community stakeholders and elected officials. Through this Challenge, we have the ability to rethink some of our nation’s past transportation choices and join together to design a better future. I’m excited to work with these communities on creating inclusive and context-sensitive infrastructure solutions that reflect and incorporate the input of the people and communities they touch.

Philadelphia has proposed to engage the residents, business owners, and families of the Chinatown community in producing a roadmap and vision for this corridor over the two-day session. This is how inclusive transportation planning should be done. We’re also inviting transportation, urban planning, architecture, engineering, and design professionals to join us at each two-day workshop to reimagine the possibilities for highways like the Vine City Expressway in Philadelphia, the I-90 corridor in Spokane, I-90’s dissection of the Rondo neighborhood in the Twin Cities, MN and even along Nashville’s I-40.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 28th, 2016, 10:20 am

Yep this is why MnDOT seems to finally be initiating an actual conversation about what I-94 (I-90N heh) should look like through Midway.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 28th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Kind of a bummer that this whole thing wasn't investigated a few years ago when plans and funding could have been coordinated with the many I-94 bridge replacements or the Midway stadium site planning, no?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 28th, 2016, 12:15 pm

But we'll get a planted freeway berm on the north side of I-94 just south of the soccer stadium. That has to be better than a freeway lid. No?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 28th, 2016, 12:47 pm

This is a fascinating document that goes over a line-item estimation of costs associated with municipal street projects: http://www.ci.lakeville.mn.us/departmen ... Report.pdf

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 28th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Kind of a bummer that this whole thing wasn't investigated a few years ago when plans and funding could have been coordinated with the many I-94 bridge replacements or the Midway stadium site planning, no?
MnDOT had/ has no intention of coordinating on any of the bridge work.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 7th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Good news for people that drive to Chicago. The expansion of I-39/90 in Janesville got bumped up to years, going from 4 lanes to 8
http://www.gazettextra.com/20160707/fed ... lion_boost

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » July 8th, 2016, 8:01 am

Seems to me like the stretch from the Illinois state line to Madison would be a good spot to convert/extend the tollway. I don't know what the political and/or technical issues would be for that in Wisconsin, but tolling would be a good way to limit extraneous travel demand and provide a funding stream to maintain the roadway. I'm sure it won't happen (because Wisconsin), but still.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 8th, 2016, 11:43 am

It's too bad they are expanding the roadway. In my opinion, it would've been much better if Wisconsin invested rail between Madison and Chicago. Obviously I'm not sure of the technical feasibility. Imagine a high-speed train traveling in the median of interstate 39/90. Imagine the development potential for cities such as Janesville, Rockford, Madison, and some of the other outskirts of Chicago. It's too bad that a project worth over $1 billion Will have very little economic benefit to the surrounding communities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 8th, 2016, 11:45 am

@Tom H, I love the suggestion of making that segment into a toll road. Maybe they could use some of the revenue to help finance other modes of transportation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 10th, 2016, 12:48 pm

N 6th Ave

ImageWP_20160710_001 by grant.simons, on Flickr

A project being implemented across from the library. More plantings in the ground instead of concrete tree grates and oversized planters.

ImageWP_20160710_002 by grant.simons, on Flickr

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 10th, 2016, 2:49 pm

I figured all those Hennepin trees North of 5th will be coming out. They are all green ash and in pretty crappy condition, especially between washington & 3rd.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 18th, 2016, 10:35 am

What the hell is the city thinking? They just put loose gravel on LaSalle downtown. The same LaSalle that was paved just 1 year ago. They were also marking the crosswalks there with more durable markings just last week! They put gravel right on top of them. I don't know who's in charge of this, but it needs to be seriously rethought.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 18th, 2016, 10:39 am

I think it's standard practice to do a seal coat the year after new pavement is laid down to build up a better wear surface for long term durability.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 18th, 2016, 11:29 am

Yep, typically one year after a full reconstruction. They did it to Nicollet Ave (Lake to 40th St) a couple years back, one year after the project was completed.

Here's an email exchange I had with Gary Long at MPLS Public Works last year:
Mr. Long,

Earlier this summer, Public Works did a chip seal on some streets in the CARAG neighborhood, between 34th Street and 36th Street South.

This project left a lot of rock chips behind, particularly around corners where the loose chips have accumulated in the gutters. Is there any intention to make another pass and clean these streets up?
I saw a street sweeper pass recently, but my street (3500 block of Dupont) was not posted as "no parking" so the street sweeper was just cleaning the middle of the street, not able to reach the curbs at all because of the parked cars.

This is the second time I've paid close attention to these chip seal projects, the last being Nicollet Avenue a summer or two ago. My general impression is that Public Works really ought to do a second or third sweep (including "No Parking" restrictions) to finish the job and get things cleaned up. Or at least come around and spot clean the corners, near gutters/drains, etc.

My other (unscientific) observation is that the rock chips seem quite large. Out of curiosity, why not use a smaller chip size that creates a smoother pavement surface? The large chips really get flung around, stuck in shoe soles (then track tar stains all over carpets,etc.), and don't leave a very smooth surface for bicycle riding.

Any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Mr. Twincitizen
Thank you for your inquiries. I apologize for the delay in responding.

We reclaim chips as part of the seal coat operation 3 to 5 days after the seal is applied. It takes about a month for the emulsion to fully cure. In that time, additional chips may loosen. We are mindful of this fact and do send our area sweepers through from time to time. We welcome residents to call 311 if there is a need to perform remedial clean up if it is necessary. We do not have the resources to post and enforce the entire 20 to 30 miles more than once after the program is complete. In September and early October, our sweeper fleet is cycled through the shop for preventative maintenance to ready them for the grueling fall sweep. This adds to the depleted equipment and workforce. All seal coat projects will get a second sweep during the comprehensive Fall Sweep scheduled to begin October 20th. We’ve found this to be the most cost effective method to reclaim any additional accumulation in the gutters. The Spring sweep again will address any chip loss through the winter.

Last season we did experience some adhesion issues on our projects. Particularly, Nicollet Ave., E. 38th St and a few others. It was narrowed to an asphalt emulsion issue. MnDOT assisted in analyzing and remedying the situations.

The chips we use are MnDOT spec for the load and volume of Minneapolis streets to provide the most durable and longest lasting protection. We have been using the FA-3 chip for many years and the Minneapolis Paving Lab has researched other options. They have concluded that this is the proper material. A smooth surface actually isn’t the desired result. As pavement ages, traffic and weather wear away fine particles and may become slick when wet or icy. The chips add texture and increases the pavement friction making the road safer, especially at controlled intersections. Unfortunately, it is not as desirable for bicycles, roller blades or skate boards. The benefit for the City of Minneapolis is a longer lasting street.

Thank you again and I hope this helps answer your questions.
Long story short, it is what it is, and you can't do anything about it. But do bug 311 if loose chips don't get cleaned up properly! The city basically admittedly does an inadequate sweeping job.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 18th, 2016, 9:42 pm

Suburban road being reconstructed with new bike lake (County 101 linking Wayzata to Minnetonka) originally proposed to cost $19 million, explodes to $59 million and huge delay.

http://www.startribune.com/bushaway-roa ... 387364051/

The bike lane wasn't part of the cost explosion but I'm a bit surprised that isn't getting tagged in some way like usually seems to happen. ;)

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 19th, 2016, 7:38 am

That’s not far from my home. Folks around here are big fans of the new bike lane. Bushaway has been a vital artery for 100 years but has never been safe for bikes because the causeway was too narrow.