Street, Road and Highway Projects

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby mattaudio » January 30th, 2018, 9:55 am

Yikes, what a waste. You could eliminate the western flyover by simply having a slip ramp off County Road E / Vadnais Blvd. You could likely eliminate the eastern flyover by using a loop on the NW corner of the interchange to access SB Rice, sort of a half parclo design. Bonus: Two roundabouts/intersections instead of three.

SurlyLHT
Union Depot

Postby SurlyLHT » February 2nd, 2018, 9:28 am

Transportation Commissioner's take on future of highways. (Unlocked)

https://finance-commerce.com/2018/02/ho ... al-estate/

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall

Postby grrdanko » February 5th, 2018, 12:19 pm

MNDOT is studying tolls as a means of funding.

http://www.startribune.com/mndot-study- ... 472639723/

I personally think this is a good idea. The loud anti-metro people are always yelling about all the outstate money going to the metro. Let the road users pay for a little bit of the cost.

tmart
Nicollet Mall

Postby tmart » February 5th, 2018, 3:41 pm

IMO, pros to tolls:
- Reduce congestion
- Free up general revenue (ideally for transit improvements)
- Better tie funding to usage
- Make up some of projected decline in gas tax revenue

Cons to tolls:
- Complicated to implement
- Are a form of regressive tax
- Political powder keg in the burbs

Whether it's tolls, a mileage charge, or something else entirely, ideally we'd be able to entirely separate the gas tax, which should mainly be capturing pollution externalities, from road funding. Electric cars still incur about the same road maintenance costs per-mile.

Tiller
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tiller » February 5th, 2018, 4:41 pm

I'd be in favor of eliminating the gas tax in favor of Carbon Tax + Vehicle Miles Traveled Tax, though both are nonstarters until the DFL can (maybe) retake the senate (in 2020, at the earliest).

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 6th, 2018, 12:02 pm

mamundsen wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 9:04 am
http://www.sehinc.com/online/rice694

Rice St and 694 interchange design
This might have been out for a while but it was just brought to my attention. They plan to construct Rice and 694 similar to Rice and 36, but with roundabouts instead of signals.

My thoughts:
- the current status with multiple lights on both ends is terrible.
- I don't like the flyover exit/entrance setup. Seems excessive to construct 3 bridges instead of 1.
- The shifted roadway on the south side (N Owasso) will reduce visibility and take out the Vadnais Inn (bar). I wonder how much that business is being compensated?
- will the large open space to the south of 694 and west of Rice be sold to a developer?
- did they leave space between 694 and the soundwall for that little jog in the exit ramp? "D'Oh!"
- how will semi traffic move through this area? The roundabouts seem too close for a semi to weave through the area.
- it REALLY is too bad this wasn't worked on as part of the just competed 694 project.

Other thoughts?
I'll give them a pass on the three-bridge design - I'm sure they could spout some logical reasoning behind it. But, what the hell is up with the Rice / Owasso intersection?!? They're moving it half a block north to, umm, use more land and pavement? Why not just put the roundabout at the current intersection?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 6th, 2018, 1:18 pm

You'd need to demo a couple buildings to build that circle at Owasso vs. just the Vadnais Inn where it is on the map.

Return to “Transportation”