Hennepin & Lyndale Bottleneck Project

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: The Virginia Triangle (Hennepin & Lyndale Bottleneck)

Postby FISHMANPET » May 5th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Maybe stop putting trucks through the Lowry Hill Tunnel?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 25th, 2013, 11:14 am

From last week's Transportation & Public Works Committee meeting: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 116942.pdf

A. Authorize the execution of a contract with Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. in the amount of $908,455 (ED: about 1/10th for the project budget) design work relating to the reconstruction of Hennepin and Lyndale Avenues.

Background
The Hennepin/Lyndale Reconstruction Project involves the reconstruction of portions of the Hennepin/Lyndale Interchange. The proposed project will reconstruction(sic) the roadway including pavement, curb and gutter, signage, curbside sidewalks, ADA compliant curb ramps, street lighting per the City’s Street Light Policy, and drive entrances. This segment of roadway is designated as an Activity Area street type in the Minneapolis Plan for Sustainable Growth and Access Minneapolis. This street segment is located adjacent to several churches, a museum, and regional park.

The project is comprised of the following four sections:
SB Hennepin/Lyndale Avenue from Dunwoody Blvd to EB I-94 Entrance Ramp.
SB Hennepin Avenue from Douglas Avenue to Franklin Avenue.
NB Hennepin Avenue from Franklin Avenue to Groveland Avenue.
NB Hennepin/Lyndale Avenue from Groveland Avenue to WB I-94 Exit Ramp 231B.

The following are the three primary objectives of the project:
Improve the condition of the infrastructure for all modes of travel (vehicular, transit, bicycle, and pedestrian)
Improve pedestrian use and safety through the use of upgraded ADA curb ramps, durable cross-walk markings, count-down timers at signals, and overall lighting.
Improve traffic operations through the use of dynamic message signs

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 25th, 2013, 11:30 am

Is this really necessary at this point? I would rather have them put the money towards other improvements - like creating a land bridge, etc.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 25th, 2013, 11:32 am

There isn't too much money for this project to begin with. A land bridge is quite a bit more expensive than a roadway resurfacing.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 25th, 2013, 11:44 am

Is this really necessary at this point? I would rather have them put the money towards other improvements - like creating a land bridge, etc.
Yes, it is. We're talking about a $9MM project to resurface traffic lanes that are in terrible condition and carry tens of thousands of cars and two of the busiest bus routes in the city. Also, the pedestrian facilities in the area are in desperate need of modernizing and upgrading. $9MM is a tiny sum that will prolong the life of the infrastructure in the area until the time comes (15-20 years perhaps) when we start having serious conversations about repairing/replacing the tunnel.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 25th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Yes, it is. We're talking about a $9MM project to resurface traffic lanes that are in terrible condition and carry tens of thousands of cars and two of the busiest bus routes in the city. Also, the pedestrian facilities in the area are in desperate need of modernizing and upgrading. $9MM is a tiny sum that will prolong the life of the infrastructure in the area until the time comes (15-20 years perhaps) when we start having serious conversations about repairing/replacing the tunnel.
This section of roads is terrible, not only for cars and buses, but pedestrians trying to get around. Hopefully new lights and crosswalk management will help with this. I have to agree with TC that it will be at least 15-20 before they work to get a better solution for the tunnel and the I-35/94 commons. This intersection should have been done when they rebuilt roads both north and south of it. Better late than never.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 25th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Agreed. Once they resurface this road it's going to be a true 55 mph surface highway . It's already 40-45 for most drivers. Pedestrian and bike nightmare. I really look forward that that 15-20 years from now...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 25th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Not sure where the bike nightmare is. Along Lyndale is a designated bike lane that is not even on the street, it connects to Hennepin with the bike bridge that goes to Bryant. Very easy , very simple if you just take the time to use it.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 25th, 2013, 2:01 pm

There isn't any problem.

Not only can riders use Bryant, the dedicated bike path, a wide sidewalk on West side, carriers on buses, but can also ride down the traffic lane. My take is that's it's another 'invention of a problem' to advance the usual 'I hate cars' agenda.

Just missed the 4 and the 6 so walked to and waited at Lyndale Loring park stop for 10-15 minutes.
Saw probably thousands of cars go by during my wait, but not a single bike.

I know, I know- Biking is (somehow) so onerous due to car owners (somehow) 'holding them down' that none dare venture down Lyndale.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 25th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Oh, there's a problem all right. Ever seen the bridge that crossed over the SB Lyndale exit from WB I-94? The "off street" bike lane has a completely blind spot when crossing that path. I've personally seen many near-misses. It's far from perfect. The insane riders who use the actual roadway are at even greater danger as the aforementioned drivers go as fast as they can. Not hard to blame them as there's nothing to make them or encourage them to slow down.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 25th, 2013, 3:41 pm

It's pretty amazing that anyone would say that the bike/ped facilities in the bottleneck are ok. The absolute worst thing is that they make bikes and peds share a space on a hill. In addition both corners at the park are basically designed for bikes and peds to get in each other's way. Same situation at Groveland. The west side of course has no provision for cyclists, and the sidewalks are narrow, close to the roadway and discontinuous. The crossing signals at the off-ramp from 94 do not reflect the fact that only one of the conflicting streams has a green for half of the phase. I agree with bubzki2 about the blind corner of the bike overpass, and will add that THE OVERPASS ITSELF DOES NOTHING FOR HALF OF THE BIKE TRAFFIC. If you're going to any point east of Lyndale or on Lyndale north of 25th, it's a major detour to have to go to Bryant, then cross or get on Lyndale anyway.

The Bottleneck as it stands doesn't work for anyone, and it doesn't help when someone minimizes the difficulties of a mode that he or she is not familiar with.
"Who rescued whom!"

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 25th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Major detour, 2 block is a major detour!! I did say that it is laziness and not caring if you get hit or not. As a walker and a biker I again see you as just wanting to have the world revolve around you and not the around the rest of the world. If you are east of Lyndale take Harriett up to Franklin and then go west to Lyndale. Or is it the fact you would have to stop for stop signs that is your problem on side street? Your argument down not hold water with this biker!!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 26th, 2013, 11:52 am

Despite your disrespectful tone, I'm going to explain myself on this because I think it isn't immediately obvious to someone who mostly drives (i.e. most Minneapolitans). First of all, for those of us whose destination is east of Lyndale, taking the Loring bike overpass isn't a two-block detour, it's more like a half-mile detour because of the doubling back of the ramp and a slight northward arc. So it adds about 15% more distance to my 3.5 mile commute, and the typical bike trip is a bit shorter yet. The other problem for many of us is that there is then no good way to cross Lyndale until 28th (and some aren't even comfortable with that one). At rush hour, there is just too much disrespectful car traffic on Franklin, 22nd (SA's fault), and 24th, and trying to cross Lyndale at 25th or 27th is difficult even for cars.

OK, so my commute being longer and more stressful is something of a first-world problem, but it's interesting that you say I want the world to revolve around me considering the tens of millions of dollars that have been spent on the I-94 interchange with Hennepin & Lyndale and the acres of prime urban real estate that takes up. It's no wonder that most Minneapolitans drive, and that's where it becomes a whole-world problem.
"Who rescued whom!"

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 26th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Just to echo woofner: a 15% increase in a cyclist's commute means a heck of a lot more than a 15% increase in a driver's commute. Besides, one burns gas and wears out infrastructure. Arguments on bike vs. car aside, there's just no way that this section is as good as it should be for pedestrians and cyclists.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 26th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Walked across entire 'Triangle' twice today.

I saw one bicyclist!! (and again hundreds if not thousands of cars)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 26th, 2013, 9:25 pm

It's like walking past the beach and wondering why so many people are in swimsuits... that's what it's built for. Car sewers attract cars.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 26th, 2013, 10:23 pm

I live literally at the apex of the Wedge Neighborhood at the mouth of the bike bridge over Lyndale, and I watch people use it daily, and use it daily, I think it's a very worth while piece of infrastructure, and that it was well executed, and good for bikers. (wasn't there a plan to extend it along i94 at some point?) I think the point is the VA Triangle is a convergence point for everyone, not just auto's so it should be suited as such. Though, being most of DT is East of Lyndale, I think there should probably be a better route DT for people E of Lyndale, who can't use the Bryant Blvd easily. It seems like better bike lanes on Nicollet or a (N/S) Cycle track down Blaisdell would be a better option than trying to get more bicycles to the VA Triangle (Bicycle Sewer), and probably cheaper. The area needs a dramatic, drastic overhaul, and until someone comes up with that genius idea, it's going to suck for everyone. I don't think any biker, walker, or driver likes it.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 26th, 2013, 10:39 pm

The area needs a dramatic, drastic overhaul, and until someone comes up with that genius idea, it's going to suck for everyone.
Done :D

Click for the full size version

from over here
/shameless plug
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » November 27th, 2013, 10:31 am

^^^ That's a really, really nice graphic.

I mean, the idea of deep-boring 94 and re-connecting the grid is good, but the graphic itself is much more clear/informative/better than the ones that accompany most real projects. Props.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 27th, 2013, 10:43 am

Someone should set up a Kickstarter. :D