New video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzu1xMr ... e=youtu.be

Lanes start closing next week for full construction

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Hennepin & Lyndale Bottleneck Project

Postby seanrichardryan » March 31st, 2016, 9:15 pm

Without the cutesy animations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sb61gBrKg

Also, noticed the tiny median on the east Groveland approach is going away. That's a mistake, it makes the road feel small and narrow, which is beneficial.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 31st, 2016, 9:38 pm

Seriously, how is that turn from southbound Lyndale to eastbound Oak Grove ever going to work? That's going to be an instant disaster.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 31st, 2016, 9:46 pm

Good thing there is a 2000' dedicated queuing lane.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » April 1st, 2016, 8:47 am

I was hoping there would be trees down the central median--something to provide height, interest, and shade. I don't see those pastel flower beds(?) holding up well, even with routine maintenance that this stretch has consistently lacked. I hope they at least plant something that blocks the headlights of oncoming traffic.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 1st, 2016, 9:39 am

I was hoping there would be trees down the central median--something to provide height, interest, and shade. I don't see those pastel flower beds(?) holding up well, even with routine maintenance that this stretch has consistently lacked. I hope they at least plant something that blocks the headlights of oncoming traffic.
As far as I know, the landscape in those areas is still TBD. That's how they're still labelled on the landscape layout on the project website.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 8:30 am

So my association is at the top of the wedge, and they're out tearing up Hennepin northbound right now, and our entire 1906 building is shaking hard core. We're currently paying 300k to have parts of our building tuck pointed as we speak. This is crazy though, I can hear the grout in my bathroom rattling, and the bricks outside shaking. Is there action we can take with the city to protect our building or recoup from additional damages?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2016, 8:41 am

Our church (St. Mark's) has mapped the whole building and have placed sensors to monitor any movement. Might want to get out there now with at least some photographs so you'll have evidence of any damages.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 8:46 am

We had extensive pictures taken last summer when the masonry companies quoted the work they are doing right now, is that recent enough? they photographed the entire building. My bed is literally swaying LOL

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » April 5th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Yea, damn city trying to repair streets and not thinking about the community that will be severely damaged by building vibrations. I'm in the middle of a jenga game and if the city tips it over.... Lawsuit man lawsuit!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 1:26 pm

I'm clearly in favor of doing the reconstruction. I just also don't want another assessment. I fully participated in the meetings and the planning, and I was waiting to see if it would be impactful before complaining. It just seems way more drastic than I had imagined. and they're just breaking up pavement.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 5th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Yea, damn city trying to repair streets and not thinking about the community that will be severely damaged by building vibrations. I'm in the middle of a jenga game and if the city tips it over.... Lawsuit man lawsuit!
Says the guy who has never had to deal with potential construction damage.

Hint: it's a PITA.

Shoo fly.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » April 5th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Is there action we can take with the city to protect our building or recoup from additional damages?
...they're just breaking up pavement.
Clearly, you have your own answers. Just not in the correct order so I just had to straighten the order out. As for dealing with construction yes it can be a pain. When it comes to breaking up pavement I never heard of damages being caused by breaking up a roadway surface. I imagine most problems are because of finicky people who drive up roadway construction costs because they expect an old building to withstand degradation only because they overpaid for their property in the first place.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 2:14 pm

Well Sam, you're piss poor at making assumptions. I bought CHEAP AF!

And piss poor at making your point clear enough to be understood or logical, and therefore piss poor at gaining any credibility.

Feel free to tell me off legitimately and I'll run with it.

Thanks David, any place to start, other than having initial conditions documented?

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » April 5th, 2016, 2:22 pm

Well Sam, you're piss poor at making assumptions. I bought CHEAP AF!

And piss poor at making your point clear enough to be understood or logical, and therefore piss poor at gaining any credibility.

Feel free to tell me off legitimately and I'll run with it.

Thanks David, any place to start, other than having initial conditions documented?

If your building is not structurally sound to stand up to breaking up pavement, you still may have overpaid, in my opinion of course. Plus with the potential expansion of I94 clearly your building may collapse by then. By all means educate me with facts if you'd like. Or continue to call me poor, either way no hard feelings so please calm down.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Oh, I never made any implications of your monetary standings. Just your ability to communicate, and assume.

I don't think it's unusual to want to preserve an older building, and our association is clearly trying to do that. It's also clear that the other organizations residing in old (and I assume new) buildings along this project are also taking precaution so I don't understand what is so wrong about me asking about the proper path to educating myself on what the city, county, or state is willing to do in order to help us in that cause. Clearly you don't think it should be anything, and the weight should come down 100% on our shoulders, an opinion to which you may have, and I don't really care about.

In this area there is a crazy amount of rigid infrastructure, on and off ramps, retaining walls etc etc along with the lowry hill tunnel, which would, logically transfer energy a lot more directly than just plain soil, so I get that you don't think a building should be shaken up, and I didn't really think it would be an issue either until I felt it. I also don't think it's enough for the building to "collapse" but to rattle bricks in a rigid masonry matrix, and loosen them, and impact the mortar, yes. As I worked in the Masonry industry for over a decade I understand well what that kind of long term reverberation can do.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 5th, 2016, 3:13 pm

I think we should have a really great discussion on construction-related building impacts... somewhere that doesn't make me/us have to go through hundreds of pages to find information on the actual Hennepin-Lyndale Bottleneck project.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » April 5th, 2016, 3:17 pm

If the city has to start shelling out money for every old building along a route when they remove a roadway for roadway improvements due to finicky owners the motivation to preserve these older buildings will crumble faster than your masonry work, which seems to be crumbling swiftly. So I do agree with your communities decision to try to preserve an older building, infact I think that should happen more often. Which is more likely if the city is not left with having to pay your upkeep costs.

Also it's perfectly fine for you to disagree with me, truly I am NOT offended by your stubborn viewpoint. Yet, when you assume I am failing at communicating simply because I have a different viewpoint than you it comes off as extremely petty. I think I effectively communicated that you should pay for your own upkeep costs to your building for basic construction work. Now, when the I-94 expansion takes place I'm sure they city will be writing you a big fat check to help cover repair costs. Until then, educate yourself all you want, I just hope you don't file anything trying to collect damages from roadway removal. The city does not need frivolous claims. That's just my opinion, sorry you don't think I effectively explained it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 3:21 pm

I think we should have a really great discussion on construction-related building impacts... somewhere that doesn't make me/us have to go through hundreds of pages to find information on the actual Hennepin-Lyndale Bottleneck project.
I was totally thinking this.

Sam, I said you were bad at communicating, not because of your message but because of how cryptically you wrote it. Now that you've stopped writing in board game speak, and euphemisms, we're all good on respecting our contrasting viewpoints.

*and to the extent that you've actually more thoroughly and respectfully responded I may be changing mine. But your original comments were garbage.
Last edited by Nathan on April 5th, 2016, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » April 5th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Agreed, cause you know street sweeping season is coming up quickly. I'm sure those things will wreak havoc on windows, mailboxes, and cars much more than you would think. Not to mention the vibrations those little devil machines give!