Future cars / Driverless cars

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Future cars / Driverless cars

Postby mattaudio » July 11th, 2017, 9:22 am

FYI if you need to trench to your garage for solar on it... Put your mast on your garage, put your solar equipment in your garage, and put a master distro in your garage. Then trench to your master panel in your house. Then you won't have Xcel lines over your backyard.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 11th, 2017, 9:24 am

Ok! I will ask our solar guy about that. Thanks for the tip!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 11th, 2017, 9:30 am

We had Xcel bury our main line when we built our garage in 2012, but the meter is still on the back of the house. No lines over the backyard is glorious. I also have two 1.5" (I think) conduits running between the house and garage. One holds power for the garage; the other has coax and cat-6 because nerd. I don't think I'd have enough conduit capacity to run the wire needed for solar or EV charging, so...yeah.

This discussion is also making me regret the direction of our garage roof. Running the ridgeline N-S makes adding solar panels a no-go, even on a 10/12 pitch. Unless it's possible to capture enough early morning and late afternoon MN sun to be worth it.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 11th, 2017, 10:07 am

mister.shoes wrote:
July 11th, 2017, 9:30 am
We had Xcel bury our main line when we built our garage in 2012, but the meter is still on the back of the house. No lines over the backyard is glorious. I also have two 1.5" (I think) conduits running between the house and garage. One holds power for the garage; the other has coax and cat-6 because nerd. I don't think I'd have enough conduit capacity to run the wire needed for solar or EV charging, so...yeah.
I'll ask our solar guy about the buried line option too. I hadn't considered things like coax and cat-6, but that's a good idea.
mister.shoes wrote:
July 11th, 2017, 9:30 am
This discussion is also making me regret the direction of our garage roof. Running the ridgeline N-S makes adding solar panels a no-go, even on a 10/12 pitch. Unless it's possible to capture enough early morning and late afternoon MN sun to be worth it.
Yeah, my understanding is that's basically a no-go for solar. Our house has side gables which means most of the roof is unusable for solar but it has a large front dormer that lets us put several panels up there. If we ever move, E-W facing gables would be a requirement along with a garage amenable to solar PV.

One contractor did suggest stands to angle panels to the south on the main roof, but another said that was basically a ridiculous idea, so who knows? Might be worth looking into if it's your only option.

We did have to take down a large voluntary elm over the garage to remove shade, so that's not great but we will plant more trees. Our crabapple also bit the dust because of disease so our backyard went from (literally) almost no direct sunlight to almost no shade (!).

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 11th, 2017, 11:52 am

Yo taking down mature trees in an urban environment and building an entire garage suited to solar seems like a gigantic pain in the ass, when we can just stick solar panels out in the prairie where they won't disturb anything.
Peter Bajurny
peter@bajurny.us
@FISHMANPET
612-208-6618

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 11th, 2017, 1:13 pm

As a heads up, I'm going to move these last couple pages over to the new green living thread in Anything Goes when I get home from work, as we've veered off a ways from future cars.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » July 16th, 2017, 8:11 pm

mattaudio wrote:
July 11th, 2017, 9:22 am
FYI if you need to trench to your garage for solar on it... Put your mast on your garage, put your solar equipment in your garage, and put a master distro in your garage. Then trench to your master panel in your house. Then you won't have Xcel lines over your backyard.

Well, if youre trenching you'dight as well get some sewer lines and extra lv innthe ground.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » August 30th, 2017, 9:26 am

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » September 6th, 2017, 7:25 pm

House passes legislation to prevent states from outlawing self-driving vehicles.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos ... SKCN1BH2B2

Multimodal
City Center

Postby Multimodal » November 7th, 2017, 5:05 pm

This seems like sort of a big deal: Bob Lutz (formerly of General Motors) says the end is nigh for cars & car culture:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017110 ... es-goodbye

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Multimodal
City Center

Postby Multimodal » November 7th, 2017, 5:09 pm

And then there’s this: Waymo is cutting out (front seat) drivers from their autonomous cars already. (In Phoenix, where there’s no rain or snow, or much of anything.)

Waymo’s Autonomous Cars Cut Out Human Drivers in Road Tests - The New York Times
https://apple.news/AFqun8gAuRiOE3PLiagmYFg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Multimodal
City Center

Postby Multimodal » November 7th, 2017, 5:12 pm

(Sorry; just figured out how to remove my Tapatalk signature. It’s gone)

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 9th, 2017, 8:06 am

Multimodal
City Center

Postby Multimodal » November 9th, 2017, 8:17 am

Ha ha. Well, as it says, it was the human driver’s error (as it is in virtually every case).

Roads & streets will be much, much safer when computers direct vehicles. It’s almost like we can’t trust humans with speed or attention.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 9th, 2017, 8:25 am

A human would not have driven into a truck that was attempting into enter a loading dock. True driverless cars are 35+ years out.

tmart
City Center

Postby tmart » November 9th, 2017, 10:40 am

Driverless cars are a race with a ridiculous number of runners, who have varying degrees of funding, talent, seriousness, and expertise. Unless the mistakes and accidents we see are coming from the biggest players, I wouldn't read into them too much as a read on how close the tech is to market.

Personally, I tend to think the tech actually is pretty close to market, but the social and planning consequences are poorly understood, and probably not as massive as everyone's making them out to be.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 9th, 2017, 10:50 am

In general terms, I think the tech is pretty close. But I wouldn't say it's close to market. It's the edge cases that will get you and it seems like we need a lot more simulation, etc. to make sure we have as many of those covered as possible.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 9th, 2017, 11:23 am

something i just thought of as an electric car driver: How terrible would it be if your self-driving electric car ran out of battery on the way to pick you up? it would just be on the side of (or possibly in the middle of) a road somewhere and you'd have to go and search for it to even know where it is. (i suppose the same applies for gasoline, to a lesser extent)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

Given the range of today's vehicles, by the time autoomous vehicles are widely available there will be no range issues at all and charging will likely be time-competitive to filling the gas tank.

ICE-based vehicles are rapidly losing their edge.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 9th, 2017, 11:39 am

I've gotta imagine a fully self-driving car would have a software check to prevent it from starting a trip it didn't have the range to finish.

Return to “Transportation”