Como-Harriet Streetcar Line

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Como-Harriet Streetcar Line

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 9th, 2013, 8:41 am

This line seems like such a no-brainer to me.. a dedicated ROW from 44th and France all the way up to 34th St. Running down Hennepin (even in mixed-traffic, as they're already proposing for the Nicollet-Central corridor) from there through Uptown would be easy. Linking up to downtown would only see a challenge at the bottleneck, and the initial line could just link up at Nicollet to head up to the river. Just seems too easy.

web

Postby web » October 10th, 2013, 1:09 am

FROM FRANCE TO UPTON HAS BEEN SOLD OFF PIECEMEAL AND PARTIALLY DEVELOPED ESPECILLY FRANCE TO CHOWEN

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 10th, 2013, 8:47 am

It looks like from Chowen to Upton has 40++ feet of remaining ROW in many cases, and the only parts where it constrains down it's surface parking. If the streetcar had to run in... the street from Chowen to France because of those townhomes it would certainly not be the end of the world. If it were to ever head south along France it would have to pop out of the ROW anyway.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 21st, 2014, 4:35 pm

This doesn't specifically relate to the Como-Harriet line, but to our old network in general. I didn't feel like starting a new topic for it.

Does anyone know of any online databases with extremely detailed information on the old streetcar network (ie maps, track diagrams, locations of other infrastructure, etc.)? I've already found some fairly detailed maps and aerial photos through the historical society/ MN Reflections, and the Borchert library. Just wondering if you guys might know of anything I might have missed.

transportationist
Block E

Postby transportationist » May 21st, 2014, 6:11 pm

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 21st, 2014, 8:37 pm

Thanks, that looks awesome! I have no idea what to do with these files, though?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 21st, 2014, 8:39 pm

Oh man, I wish I knew something about GIS.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 21st, 2014, 9:00 pm

Well, as I mentioned before, I've been studying a bunch of other online materials lately to make this. It's not perfect, but it's still a work in progress. I highlighted some landmarks in addition to the track lines on the second layer. If anyone has suggestions/ corrections, have at me. I want this to be as accurate as possible.

The TCRT system:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 5De54tHkCc

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 21st, 2014, 10:11 pm

Very cool!

Is this from the GIS data? I always assumed Como-Harriet followed Irving until 32nd or 33rd.

I'll have to go walk through this area again!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 21st, 2014, 10:28 pm

It's pulled primarily from a combination of route maps, TCRT track maps/ diagrams via the streetcar museum, reading route descriptions from historical societies, and the Borchert Library aerial photos. I couldn't get the GIS data to work because I don't know what I'm doing. That probably would have made it easier, haha.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » May 22nd, 2014, 9:31 am

Slightly off topic but HOLY COW that is cool; thanks for sharing! To be a bit crude, I just about shit a kitten when I saw that the Randolph-Hazel Park-Mahtomedi line used to run directly behind my house, and right by my church in North St. Paul! I can't believe we so mercilessly ripped this wonderful system out. *grumbles*

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 22nd, 2014, 10:09 am

Just have to give additional props for how amazing this is. Spectacular work!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 22nd, 2014, 10:30 am

Agreed. That map is awesome.

The Minnehaha-7th-Hope line is wonky. I assume it was just a way to get to the airport from either city, but just interesting we had a line from Theo Wirth Park to the East Side of St. Paul via Minnehaha Ave and West 7th St.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 22nd, 2014, 11:21 am

Well, for getting to/from Fort Snelling rather than the airport...

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » May 22nd, 2014, 11:52 am

^It is also not uncommon to have transit lines where it is assumed that very few people will ride from end to end. Today's route 61 is an example. But the Google map is great!

Anyways, here is a set of maps and photos relating to Twin City Rapid Transit that I have on my flickr account:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mspdude/s ... 464491515/

Flickr has made it a little less intuitive on how to see larger sized photos. Click on the "..." to the right, then "Download/All Sizes", then "View all sizes"
My flickr photos.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 22nd, 2014, 11:56 am

Every time I see these things it just makes me depressed that it isn't around anymore

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 22nd, 2014, 11:24 pm

Again, this is awesome, but I pick nits. :)

The map doesn't seem to show service rails, for example the turnaround at Lake & Girard, which you can see peeking up from the asphalt today. There also used to be a service track from Hennepin eastward on W. 27th St. to a small car barn on Dupont & 27th, I think. You can see these tracks on some of the historic city atlases avaiable at the central library. You can look up the atlases online. Go to the special collections section and look on the right sidebar.

EDIT: My bad, you did get the Girard turnaround.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » May 23rd, 2014, 6:16 am

To be a bit crude, I just about shit a kitten when I saw that the Randolph-Hazel Park-Mahtomedi line used to run directly behind my house
And about 100 feet from my childhood bedroom in Mahtomedi, with another line about a block from my house in south Minneapolis (along 42nd st)! That's really cool!

transportationist
Block E

Postby transportationist » May 23rd, 2014, 1:06 pm

Yeah, if someone wants to make a GTFS file from this network, we can do an Accessibility Analysis. We will give you a huge acknowledgment, or perhaps even co-authorship if you do some writing. This requires knowing the schedules.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 3rd, 2014, 9:33 pm