Dismantling Downtown Freeways

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Dismantling Downtown Freeways

Postby mister.shoes » November 12th, 2013, 10:13 am

Thanks, panda. I appreciate it!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 19th, 2013, 11:50 am

Are the 394 entrance/exit ramps that connect directly to Washington Avenue really necessary? It seems that 3rd and 4th Streets could handle the job just fine, without destroying the pedestrian experience on Washington. There's an additional freeway entrance by continuing ahead on 3rd Avenue.

By making this small change, we could put some very prime real estate back on the tax rolls and really improve the pedestrian experience at Washington & 3rd.

http://goo.gl/maps/mFvRP

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 19th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Completely agree that they're unnecessary and that the connections at 3rd and 4th are plenty sufficient. That whole mess of ramps was the one spot on my dream North Loop redo that I couldn't quite figure out how to do, so I left it as-is. Should have just eliminated them altogether instead of trying to reconcile the vertical clearance issues.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » December 9th, 2013, 7:02 pm

CNU (Congress for the New Urbanism) is hosting a webinar on Highways to Boulevards next Tuesday (17th). I got this newsletter from them and wanted to pass along to the folks here who might be interested in participating. If interested, please send an email to communications@cnu.org w/ the subject "Highways to Boulevards Webinar - December".
Highways to Boulevards:
Traffic Engineering for Advocates Webinar

Advocates of urban freeway removal often struggle to make effective traffic arguments, simply because they are not traffic engineers themselves. In fact, many times, advocates are making a case against the recommendations of traffic engineers at the state level. Learn how to understand the opposition's traffic analyses and get the numbers on your side in Highways to Boulevards: Traffic Engineering for Advocates.

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 17 @ 1:00 PM CST

Join a panel of innovative transportation engineers in a discussion of freeway removal, boulevard conversion, and traffic analyses. Jeff Tumlin (Nelson\Nygaard) and Norm Marshall (Smart Mobility) will discuss how to create and present traffic impact arguments. Jeff Tumlin will share his experiences with freeway removal and conversion. Norm Marshall will discuss how to identify errors in the opposition's traffic arguments and discuss the elements of successful traffic analyses. Alex McKeag, CNU Program Manager, will moderate this free 60-minute webinar, followed by Q&A.

This is the third webinar in a 10 part series from CNU on building effective highway removal campaigns. You can expect a new webinar in our series each month. If you are interested in participating, send an email to communications@cnu.org. Attendance is limited to the first 100 people to sign up, so email us now to hold your spot.
Jonathan Ahn | hello@jonathanahn.com
Drawing lines on maps and dreaming really hard for living.

UptownSport
US Bank Plaza

Postby UptownSport » December 9th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Advocates of urban freeway removal often struggle to make effective traffic arguments, simply because they are not traffic engineers themselves.
Or arguments aren't effective because there's no merit, or they can't get the doctor to grant a day-pass from psych ward.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 9th, 2013, 10:14 pm

UptownSport, I look forward to meeting you at CNU22 in Buffalo next spring.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » December 10th, 2013, 11:18 am

Oh, then I will see you all at CNU 22---we could have a lively discussion there.
Jonathan Ahn | hello@jonathanahn.com
Drawing lines on maps and dreaming really hard for living.

UptownSport
US Bank Plaza

Postby UptownSport » December 10th, 2013, 11:22 am

That a long way from here. How will you get the time?

Decanoate?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 19th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Some extremely good stuff in this article:

Good Stuff

SurlyLHT
Target Field

Re: Minneapolis Density and Population Growth (500k, etc)

Postby SurlyLHT » June 7th, 2018, 7:33 am

Like many on here, I’m not a huge fan of interstates and how they divide the urban landscape. An idea I’ve had that’s between a cap and the status quo is to work some of the excess MnDot land back into the city by developing it.

For example through North Minneapolis why not take the majority of the land between the roadway and Washington Ave and build on it with buildings facing Washington? Or take the land around the Washington Ave and 3rd St and open it for development? There is also space along 94 in St. Paul with the development facing the city.
I presume red-tape and etc. would limit the potential here, but this seems better than the status quo. This is just an idea. I've put some screen-snips of spaces where I see some potential.
C.JPG
B.JPG
A.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 7th, 2018, 8:35 am

Queue a re-post of the mister.shoes fantasy map to re-grid Downtown East to Cedar Riverside.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 7th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Nah. Let's do froggie's instead.

But if you insist, here's mine.

MattW
Union Depot

Postby MattW » June 8th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Those fantasy maps are great, but one thing I think they miss is the length off ramps require to be safe. The very lowest threshold in the city is from 35W to 4th st and University ave. Those ramps are so short, cars come screaming off the freeway and need to slam on the brakes. Super unsafe for all users. Wish there was something the city/county/state/feds could do about it.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » June 11th, 2018, 3:22 pm

MattW wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 2:10 pm
Those fantasy maps are great, but one thing I think they miss is the length off ramps require to be safe. The very lowest threshold in the city is from 35W to 4th st and University ave. Those ramps are so short, cars come screaming off the freeway and need to slam on the brakes. Super unsafe for all users. Wish there was something the city/county/state/feds could do about it.
I have no materials engineering knowledge, so forgive me if this sounds silly or dumb... but is there a high-friction road construction material that would be capable of significantly aiding deceleration without causing excessive wear to tires?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 11th, 2018, 7:27 pm

UrsusUrbanicus wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 3:22 pm
MattW wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 2:10 pm
I have no materials engineering knowledge, so forgive me if this sounds silly or dumb... but is there a high-friction road construction material that would be capable of significantly aiding deceleration without causing excessive wear to tires?
Rumble strips do/promote this kind of thing, but they’re obviously loud to anyone living adjacent to where they’re placed.

Return to “Transportation”