MN Highway 36

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
pannierpacker
Metrodome

Re: HWY 36 walkway????

Postby pannierpacker » July 22nd, 2013, 3:37 am

But think of the children.

Alright, I'm the bad guy. Carry on. Build the bridge so that the people in this disconnected cluster of apartments can walk through the giant parking lot to get to the mall.

There is actually a sidewalk that extends all the way to the edge of the mall by Herbergers. That disconnected cluster of apartments actually has access to some of the best transit in Roseville. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I do see a decent number of people walking along Snelling (I have photographic evidence), and I am not sure if a Rosedale oriented bridge would fix the problem or if it needs to be build closer to the highway to discourage that behavior.

UptownSport
Target Field

Re: HWY 36 walkway????

Postby UptownSport » July 22nd, 2013, 8:43 am

Dunno about development, bike trails, etc.

My worry is people walking/biking from density (and Har-Mar) to Rosedale across 36 or on freeway section of Snelling.
If this stuff happens after the bridge; serendipity.
redisciple got it right in saying that this should be included in the cost of the interchange. When it was built 50 years ago, it was never really finished. Adding a safe crossing here would finally make it complete.

Anondson
IDS Center

MN Highway 36

Postby Anondson » April 28th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Plans being considered to eliminate the last two stop lights on 36 between 694 and 35E.

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/256846541.html

Curious note, Mills Fleet Farm is donating land valued at $2.4M to make one interchange happen.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: MN Highway 36

Postby mamundsen » April 28th, 2014, 8:07 pm

An interesting note:

"A major question is what the redesign will look like. Those plans will include the additional complication of figuring out how the Gateway State Trail, the busiest bicycle and pedestrian route in Minnesota that runs parallel to Hwy. 36, will fit in."

Yet I bet it will be less an issue than the SWLRT debacle.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 28th, 2014, 8:43 pm

I'm doubtful that it's the busiest bike route in the state -- probably the busiest one handled by the DNR, though. They definitely need to figure out a good routing for it. However, I think was only grade-separated around 5 years ago...

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » April 29th, 2014, 11:19 am

I live near here and cross through at least one of those intersections every day. They truly are awful for drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. I doubt that moving part of the Gateway trail should pose much of a problem.

I was curious about Starbucks decision to build a new structure on that corner, when they surely must have known about that area being targetted for an upgrade. The DQ owner has been resistant to getting that intersection upgraded for years since his restaurant would be eliminated.

The land that Fleet Farm is donating is pretty swampy land. If they are truly donating that land, then it makes me think they want to keep a direct connection to the highway and Hadley over combining access points for Hadley and 120. Even though both intersections are so close together, I can hardly fault Fleet Farm as they do booming business.

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » April 29th, 2014, 11:51 am

Presentation to the Washington County Board (see slide 52):

http://www.co.washington.mn.us/AgendaCe ... 222014-340

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » April 29th, 2014, 12:05 pm

36 is terrifying. There's houses that literally butt-up to it by those stoplights. I see kids and dogs running around front yards there with cars whizzing by at freeway speeds.