Rush Line Corridor BRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
alexschief
Nicollet Mall

Re: Rush Line Corridor BRT

Postby alexschief » July 3rd, 2018, 11:35 pm

It’s usually a mistake to add little detours and digressions to routes. They serve people getting on and off at that digression better, but they frustrate and delay people traveling through that point.

The 21 bus makes a probably defensible detour onto University to hit the Green Line LRT station, and it feels like it takes absolutely forever if you’re trying to ride it through.

The first two options are far better.

Vagueperson
Landmark Center

Postby Vagueperson » July 4th, 2018, 6:53 am

Yeah, it really depends on your perspective. The first two options would certainly be far faster, but I just can't imagine having a major transit stop in the middle of the bridge. I also can't see having the 61 / 54 make stops there just for transfers - that would be ridiculous.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 4th, 2018, 12:21 pm

How much extra time could the "detour" possibly take? #1 is around 1900 ft, #4 (depending on the routing) is ~2400 ft. Even accounting for delay at the turns (and maybe at Arcade as well) it's hard to imagine that extra 2-3 minutes being a big deal.

tmart
Landmark Center

Postby tmart » July 4th, 2018, 3:39 pm

It's death by a thousand cuts. First we say, "we won't spend the money for LRT; we'll just build a bus in an LRT-like configuration." Then it's "well, since it's a bus, we can just go mixed-traffic for the trickiest spots to acquire right-of-way." Then it's "as long as we're going mixed traffic, let's make a little detour to stop at a strip mall; three stoplights can't ruin the whole project." If the goal is to give the route rapid transit features--more reliable, less dependent on traffic conditions, faster, and simpler to understand than our typical serpentine local bus routes--this is not the way to do it.

DanPatchToget
Rice Park

Postby DanPatchToget » July 5th, 2018, 6:35 am

BRT creep is real. We use the term BRT quite loosely in the Twin Cities.

Not that I’m saying this isn’t BRT, but it can be a slippery slope with these little detours.

Vagueperson
Landmark Center

Postby Vagueperson » July 5th, 2018, 7:54 am

We weren't given time estimates for any of these options.

The hope is that Seeger Square and surrounding properties won't remain a strip mall or empty space, but I admit this is merely a hope. It's also criteria around which the discussion was had.

Return to “Transportation”