University Avenue Traffic Lane Modification Study

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: University Avenue Traffic Lane Modification Study

Postby ProspectPete » February 8th, 2016, 3:09 pm

St Paul answer is to put bike lanes on high speed high volume streets. Recent examples: Front Ave. Cleveland Ave. Lexington pkwy and now University Ave? What's next... a bike lane down Snelling?
If they do this, for pete's sake please make it protected, unlike the aforementioned.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 8th, 2016, 3:14 pm

But if traffic was single lane, it would probably be slow and manageable to bicycle alongside. I would imagine it would feel similar to bicycling along Summit, which is also one lane with parking and a median. Not the pinnacle of safety, but definitely a better-than-nothing facility.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 8th, 2016, 3:23 pm

St Paul answer is to put bike lanes on high speed high volume streets. Recent examples: Front Ave. Cleveland Ave. Lexington pkwy and now University Ave? What's next... a bike lane down Snelling?
If they do this, for pete's sake please make it protected, unlike the aforementioned.
Imagine putting bike facilities where people want to go!

(I'd also quibble with some of those being called "high volume" and note that bike lanes should help lower speeds.)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 8th, 2016, 3:28 pm

There's plenty of space for parking AND bike lanes. It looks like there's already two 11 foot lanes plus a 2ft gutter pan in most sections. 8 ft parking, 6 ft bike lane, 10 ft travel lane. Problem. Solved.
Am I right?

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » February 8th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Imagine putting bike facilities where people want to go!

(I'd also quibble with some of those being called "high volume" and note that bike lanes should help lower speeds.)

OK, I'll give you that. "High volume" was bit subjective on my part. But if I bet if you had a radar gun on Lexington or Front, you'll find traffic going by at 35-40 mph all day long.

I just hope that they make it a protected bike lane. It's not that hard to do...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 8th, 2016, 5:27 pm

It is intended to be protected. It's the link between the Franklin Ave and the Charles Ave bikeways. It will not run the length of Univ. IIRC.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 8th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Not to pile on, but there really isn't much of an alternative through here. University (between Cleveland and Fairview) is the only continuous street north of Marshall and south of Pierce Butler. This is the same problem that necessitates bike facilities on the other streets you've named.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 9th, 2016, 11:01 am

Is there any known opposition to this parking plan/experiment?
News reports indicate it must be approved by the City Council and County Board. The latter could potentially prove to be a stumbling block (if the county engineers have major concerns) or if a county commissioner had a wild hair