Page 18 of 22

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 15th, 2016, 4:24 pm
by mplser
so 25th at lyndale doesn't see as much traffic as the church parking lot by the convention center? doubt it...

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 15th, 2016, 10:49 pm
by Mdcastle
I looked at the city TMC site and confirmed 25th and Lyndale doesn't come anywhere close to meeting any signal warrants. For vehicle warrants traffic on 25th would have to roughly double, and there were a grand total of 5 pedestrians crossing Lyndale in an 8 hour period on a nice summer day; warrants are 107 per hour for at least 4 hours. The signal at the church / convention center parking ramp doesn't meet 4 hour vehicle or pedestrian warrants, but I suspect it may meet peak hour warrants when an event at the convention center lets out, that wouldn't be captured in a normal workday count.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 16th, 2016, 7:04 am
by Nathan
I can understand making counts like this, but only an idiot tries to cross Lyndale at 25th. (I have done it many times) I lived at 25th and Colfax for 3.5 years, and even if I was going to the loon on the east side of Lyndale, I'd typically walk down to 26th to cross. So I can imagine those counts aren't accurate as to how many people *would* cross at 25th. Same goes for driving, I'd always cut up to 24th because getting across Lyndale is risky at 25th.

*also, nice summer days are when you're willing to walk the extra block or two to get to your destination, I always see people trying to run across there when the weather isn't as good. And that's when it's more dangerous.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 16th, 2016, 7:25 am
by bubzki2
http://www.startribune.com/vehicle-hits ... 372183561/

Horrible place to cross on foot. I hope this leads to improvements.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 16th, 2016, 10:20 am
by RailBaronYarr
Mdcastle wrote:I looked at the city TMC site and confirmed 25th and Lyndale doesn't come anywhere close to meeting any signal warrants. For vehicle warrants traffic on 25th would have to roughly double, and there were a grand total of 5 pedestrians crossing Lyndale in an 8 hour period on a nice summer day; warrants are 107 per hour for at least 4 hours. The signal at the church / convention center parking ramp doesn't meet 4 hour vehicle or pedestrian warrants, but I suspect it may meet peak hour warrants when an event at the convention center lets out, that wouldn't be captured in a normal workday count.
I wonder what pedestrian counts were 70, 50, etc years ago or whenever we decided a 4-lane Lyndale with no bumpouts and no traffic signal at 25th was appropriate in order to move people in cars as quickly as possible.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 16th, 2016, 10:36 am
by grant1simons2
Another pedestrian killed in Brooklyn Park this morning.

http://www.startribune.com/pedestrian-s ... 372231361/

Brooklyn Park intersection:

Image

Saint Paul:

Image

They're almost identical road designs.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 16th, 2016, 11:59 am
by xandrex
Nathan wrote:I can understand making counts like this, but only an idiot tries to cross Lyndale at 25th. (I have done it many times) I lived at 25th and Colfax for 3.5 years, and even if I was going to the loon on the east side of Lyndale, I'd typically walk down to 26th to cross. So I can imagine those counts aren't accurate as to how many people *would* cross at 25th. Same goes for driving, I'd always cut up to 24th because getting across Lyndale is risky at 25th.

*also, nice summer days are when you're willing to walk the extra block or two to get to your destination, I always see people trying to run across there when the weather isn't as good. And that's when it's more dangerous.
Yeah, that intersection is horrible to cross even in a car. I sometimes park between 24th and 25th east of Lyndale and cross over to the Wedge to pick people up. Not only do people really put their pedal down with two full blocks without a signal, but there's a bit of a blind spot in a car unless you pretty much pull into the outer lane. Plenty of times I've just kind of had to inch out and then quickly zip across to avoid being hit. I don't think I'd ever try to cross on foot or bike.

It would be great if they'd at least put some bumpouts and maybe a ped refuge here (though that would require some re-jiggering of lanes).

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 16th, 2016, 3:05 pm
by dbaur31
Nathan wrote:I can understand making counts like this, but only an idiot tries to cross Lyndale at 25th.
This is all that really matters. I'd cross at 25th every day if it were safe to do so because it's the closest intersection for me to use. But because of the current design I haven't done it once. Instead I cross at 24th or 26th just like others have said. Given how many pedestrians there are around here in general, current usage metrics are almost certainly reflecting the dangerous design and are not indicative at all of underlying demand.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 16th, 2016, 3:43 pm
by David Greene
bubzki2 wrote:http://www.startribune.com/vehicle-hits ... 372183561/

Horrible place to cross on foot. I hope this leads to improvements.
I just posted about this on the Book of Faces.

Coming home from work today I stopped for a family waiting to cross 28th St. There was a car in the other lane behind me perhaps a block or block-and-a-half away. That other car slowed, then accelerated as it came up to my car. I honked repeatedly which startled the mother enough to save her kids from being struck by the ignorant and/or potentially criminal driver.

Makes me mad as hell. This is why I've kept harping on making 26th and 28th two-way and allowing parking on both sides.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 17th, 2016, 12:13 pm
by mattaudio
One dead after dispute escalates into shooting and car crash in Mpls.
http://www.startribune.com/one-dead-aft ... 372322311/

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 17th, 2016, 5:05 pm
by seanrichardryan
Jesus. Look at the uprooted tree!

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 22nd, 2016, 12:17 pm
by Anondson
In NYC, city trying to achieve Vision Zero, a LEO turned van left and killed a pedestrian in marked crosswalk crossing with signal. Police officer was also talking on cell phone at time.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2016/03/22/n ... ng-street/

But city says it's still the pedestrian's fault.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 22nd, 2016, 12:51 pm
by amiller92
Anondson wrote:In NYC, city trying to achieve Vision Zero, a LEO turned van left and killed a pedestrian in marked crosswalk crossing with signal. Police officer was also talking on cell phone at time.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2016/03/22/n ... ng-street/

But city says it's still the pedestrian's fault.
The article isn't specific enough to tell (and there's no link to the document), but the quote reads like it's from an "answer" and thus is more of a listing of all possible defenses than something the city will actively argue in court.

Still, pretty tone-deaf though.

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 22nd, 2016, 1:32 pm
by ProspectPete
What is an LEO?

Re: Road Crime

Posted: March 22nd, 2016, 1:46 pm
by intercomnut
ProspectPete wrote:What is an LEO?
Law Enforcement Officer

Re: Road Crime

Posted: April 6th, 2016, 2:25 pm
by mattaudio
Female driver shot four times after vehicle cuts her off in Minneapolis
Hennepin Avenue near Groveland Avenue, 5 p.m. Tuesday
http://www.startribune.com/female-drive ... 374799211/

Re: Road Crime

Posted: April 17th, 2016, 8:29 am
by Anondson
Drunk driver mangled victim. Now a fugitive.

http://www.startribune.com/fugitive-cha ... 375983341/

Re: Road Crime

Posted: April 30th, 2016, 9:39 pm
by mplser
I drive with a gopro on my dash for my YouTube channel, and i caught someone running into a person and car on purpose in front of city works yesterday. Was pretty crazy. http://youtu.be/dZCPXahaJ6g

Re: Road Crime

Posted: May 6th, 2016, 7:58 am
by mattaudio
Blaine pedestrian fatally struck while on sidewalk; driver in custody
http://www.startribune.com/blaine-pedes ... 378368501/

Re: Road Crime

Posted: May 17th, 2016, 3:28 pm
by Anondson
Nerf wars in New Hope caused a crash, ejecting the two teens from the car.

http://m.startribune.com/nerf-wars-game ... ection=%2F