Ayd Mill Road

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Ayd Mill Road

Postby talindsay » August 30th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Just a note that Google *LOVES* Ayd Mill Road. Getting from any part of Minneapolis near Lake Street to anything in the general vicinity of Eagan, Apple Valley, Rosemount, etc., Google will send you on Ayd Mill Road 100% of the time. My wife and I joke that it would probably send us to Duluth via Ayd Mill Road.

As I was driving down Ayd Mill Road this morning per Google's instructions it got me thinking about how much Google damages the design of highway systems because most of us would choose to follow the major arterials meant to funnel traffic if left to our own understanding of the maps, but Google chooses what it thinks is the fastest overall route, regardless of what kind of street, how complicated the routing, etc. So it sends traffic on side streets, down secondary roads, across dirt roads, etc. I generally know the Cities well enough not to seek Google's opinion on how to get there, but when I ask the routes are always stranger than what I'd end up with, even if they are faster.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 31st, 2019, 9:58 am

Didier wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 12:59 am
And lastly, just an observation as someone who has cruised up Ayd Mill my share of times, cutting the road down to two lanes would leave a ton of space in that corridor. Frankly there’s more than enough space to add a wide pathway now, without removing the road, if we really wanted to. So there’s probably another level of planning needed to really define what this space is going to be.
Presumably you're talking about the space on the east side of the road? None of that is usable because it is owned by the Canadian Pacific railroad, which sued to prevent St. Paul from taking the land for a trail. There is some space on the west side of the road, but the grade would make that a difficult project (to say nothing of getting people across the on/off ramps).

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 31st, 2019, 7:38 pm

Freakin' 19th century railroad laws.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Return to “Transportation”