Pedestrian Safety and Infrastructure Improvements

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Anondson
Capella Tower

Re: Pedestrian Safety and Infrastructure Improvements

Postby Anondson » December 19th, 2017, 7:29 am

The answer may be different if it’s “safe enough for me to bike on the street” vs “safe enough for people who I think are bicyclists on where I imagine there are trails“.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 19th, 2017, 9:02 am

There's a very interesting version of this question in the East Metro Pulse survey (https://www.saintpaulfoundation.org/east-metro-pulse). Lots of people in the suburbs seem to think that they live in very bikeable places, perhaps because of all the (crappy) multiuse trails along their arterials.

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » December 23rd, 2017, 2:44 am

LearningAsIGo wrote:
November 19th, 2017, 6:56 pm
Quick note: The redesigned 8th St SE between 15th Ave SE and Central, especially the segment between 15th Ave SE and 10th Ave SE, feels so much more inviting to interact with and cross as a pedestrian than it did a year ago. The parking lane on the south (eastbound) side of the road was removed, allowing width for striped bike lanes (much appreciated improvement), but most importantly to me, clearing sight-lines so that pedestrians can actually observe oncoming vehicles... and allowing drivers to actually see pedestrians before they are in the travel lane. This area frequently had vehicles parked right up to the corners such that pedestrians were peeking out at the roadway from behind cars. I don't know, it just feels a lot better now.
As a driver it feels safer too. When heading north toward 8th street from University and turning left to head towards Central, it was usually sketchy before when making left turns. With all of those cars parked right up to the corners, sight-lines affected affected my confidence in making left turns safely.

As a pedestrian, I really appreciate the shorter crossing distance than before. I know it's the same amount of vehicle lanes, but psychologically it just feels better.

As a cyclist, the new pavement was much appreciated. The lanes are okay. I felt fine riding in the street before too.

DanPatchToget
Landmark Center

Postby DanPatchToget » December 24th, 2017, 1:56 pm

http://www.startribune.com/woman-run-ov ... 466258733/

I'm familiar with this area as I worked at the Star Tribune building for a short time. I wonder if the driver was going southbound as there is a tight curve where people crossing the street might not be able to see them coming. And/or with all the cars parked on the east side of the street it was difficult for the pedestrian to view any traffic approaching.

Multimodal
Metrodome

Pedestrian Safety and Infrastructure Improvements

Postby Multimodal » December 26th, 2017, 12:12 pm

According to maps, 1st St. N. is a completely straight stretch of road.

“Mpls. cops said she crossed in the middle of the street.” Yet this is a 4-block stretch of street with no cross streets.

“Elder said there was no evidence that the driver, Lorna Sinclair-Wood, 65, of Bloomington, was speeding or under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash.” Was she distracted? How do you run over someone on a completely straight stretch of road?

I can see that someone might be surprised that someone “jumped out” from behind parked cars, but even then, would you plow someone down or brake but still hit them, which wouldn’t result in death?

If the driver truly did nothing wrong, then perhaps 30 mph is too fast a speed limit.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 26th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Was the driver going eastbound having just rounded the corner?

Return to “Transportation”