35W Freeway Lid and Air Rights Development

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
twincitizen

Re: West Bank

Postby twincitizen » June 28th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Redisciple is probably right about CPED dragging the County along. Here's a CPED page with a roundup of everything happening in the area. I wish I had found this before typing that previous post, because it's all in here:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cped/plann ... /cped_crwb

It makes it sound like the Cedar Avenue improvements are something that was recently thought up, and were not part of a longstanding plan. There is nothing on the County's website indicating that this is an upcoming project.

I agree about the trees. They can and should be replaced if it results in a superior design. It's not like there are a bunch of mature shade trees along Cedar Avenue currently...they are mostly of the scraggly variety.

West Bank Station Area Plan, from a few years ago: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 269305.pdf

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 28th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Maybe market-rate housing in mixed-use could be added on air-rights above the Washington Trench on both sides of Cedar. This would physically make the West Bank Business Association a cohesive node by repairing a scar that divides it.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 28th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Maybe market-rate housing in mixed-use could be added on air-rights above the Washington Trench on both sides of Cedar. This would physically make the West Bank Business Association a cohesive node by repairing a scar that divides it.
That would be so awesome. Doubtful, but awesome.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 28th, 2013, 4:38 pm

It's pretty cool that they are proposing a bikeway in the trench along side the LRT that connects to the current bridge across 35... or has there always been one? I don't bike in that area often...

orangevening
Nicollet Mall

Postby orangevening » June 28th, 2013, 5:19 pm

It's pretty cool that they are proposing a bikeway in the trench along side the LRT that connects to the current bridge across 35... or has there always been one? I don't bike in that area often...
No, just sprucing up the "goat path". Yawn.

ndokken
City Center

I-35W Freeway Lid Development

Postby ndokken » April 8th, 2014, 10:11 am

Did anybody catch this display in the IDS Center?

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/designat ... ure-1.html

Unsure where this should be posted as it's part downtown/university/transportation.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: 35W Lid downtown/University

Postby mattaudio » April 8th, 2014, 11:10 am

There was discussion of some old proposals and some homebrew iterations by mister.shoes, froggie, myself on the Washington Avenue thread. But I think this concept is worthy of having its own thread, especially since the concept continues to pop up outside the confines of our forum.3

I'll be there tomorrow evening to check it out, and to partake in a patio happy hour with this fantastic weather. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 8th, 2014, 11:44 am

The photoset on Facebook looks pretty gnarly, but it's hard to tell what the layout looks like. I won't be able to go DT tomorrow, alas, but I think the map in the background of this photo explains a lot:

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 8th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Photo 25 on that facebook slideshow gives a pretty good 3D indication of what they're proposing... Wow. I mean that's likely a long-term plan, but if the U were an anchor to it all that would provide a big push and initial investment. Interested to see some more details..

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 8th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Wow. I mean that's likely a long-term plan, but if the U were an anchor to it all that would provide a big push and initial investment. Interested to see some more details..
We are talking about a student project, right?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 8th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Photo looks like the courtyard of Rapson Hall, so likely yes. Also note the model of the Vikings stadium blob. :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » April 8th, 2014, 2:13 pm

I had a difficult time when I was circling around the display yesterday at IDS to get my sense of direction. Based on the plethora of signs discussing the project, they feel the project can get paid off by the fact there would be a parking garage inside that lid as well.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 8th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: I-35W Freeway Lid Development

Postby twincitizen » April 8th, 2014, 7:46 pm

I just can't get myself oriented with these models, and I'm very familiar with the area in question.

Can someone (using MS Paint or whatevs) please illustrate where 35W, the LRT tracks, an existing building, etc. are located on that thing? To even my expert(-ish) eye, I can't discern a damn thing from the photo above (or the 20 more on Facebook).

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 8th, 2014, 8:02 pm

From the photo just above your post, in the model the nearest edge is Washington Ave. You can see Bobby and Steve's in white right in the center of the edge. The long green flat thing stretching from the near edge to the far edge is capping 35W.

Help?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 8th, 2014, 8:26 pm

It has a very European feel to it. All for decking the freeways downtown, even better if it can be paid for with further development.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 8th, 2014, 10:22 pm

From the photo just above your post, in the model the nearest edge is Washington Ave. You can see Bobby and Steve's in white right in the center of the edge. The long green flat thing stretching from the near edge to the far edge is capping 35W.

Help?
That's actually super helpful. It looks like the blank white buildings are existing buildings, because there's also the small 2 story buildings across I35 from Bobby & Steve's in white.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » April 8th, 2014, 10:25 pm

All for it but just don't see it happening until there is greater density/lack of building space DTW/DTW, etc. unless we start with green space.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 9th, 2014, 6:17 am

Um, where is the freeway entrance?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 9th, 2014, 6:45 am

All for it but just don't see it happening until there is greater density/lack of building space DTW/DTW, etc. unless we start with green space.
Agreed, but the one problem with that approach is that it's going to be much harder to restore the grid and replat some areas once development fills in. Case in point, the new cut for the Vikings Stadium vehicular entrance on 4th St below the 11th St bridge grade. We need a plan, first to give people a vision for how the area can have additional value to draw out additional private capital, second to make sure we can move forward without putting obstacles in our way as periphery parcels develop.