Transit Crime

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Transit Crime

Postby amiller92 » April 23rd, 2018, 10:09 am

MNdible wrote:
April 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am
Bus driver is attacked by a group of assailants in broad daylight on Nicollet Mall. But remember, everything's fine downtown!
Remember, each individual indecent always indicates a trend!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 23rd, 2018, 10:38 am

If this were just a random guy taking a swing at some other random guy, it would be easier to just rationalize it away. But to have an environment where a group of people feel that this is something that they can do to what is essentially a bystander, and maybe even get away with, is just stunning.

But yes, by all means, write this off as just being a fluke if that fits better into your preferred political narrative.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 23rd, 2018, 10:55 am

Ah, yes, I'm the one with a political narrative.

Young men do stupid things sometimes, and few things are more stupid than assaulting a bus driver next to the bus (many cameras) on Nicollet Mall (cameras at every corner). Some or all of them will be prosecuted. It doesn't say anything about the "environment."

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 23rd, 2018, 12:12 pm

Pretty ballsy to throw out the 'political narrative' card in a post that implies there's a "group of people" who are a-okay with bus driver assaults.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 23rd, 2018, 12:40 pm

The group of people in question is, in fact, the group of people on the video who were assaulting the bus driver. No need for the scare quotes, thanks.

DanPatchToget
Target Field

Postby DanPatchToget » January 1st, 2019, 12:17 pm

Has smoking on the trains always been an issue? Last night riding the Blue Line I couldn't see smoke, but I could definitely smell a cigarette, and then the driver came on the intercom saying if they didn't stop smoking he would call the police. Does anyone know of any other transit system where this is an issue? If people want/need to ride the train to stay warm that's fine, but is it too much to ask for people not to smoke and litter on the trains and the platforms?

NickP
Union Depot

Postby NickP » January 1st, 2019, 1:12 pm

I haven’t experienced it as an issue overall. What time were you riding the train? My first thought was that the smoking was an affect of it being NYE and people had been out celebrating. I know my judgement of what is and is not ok goes down when drinking lol I agree the litter can be an issue though. I think an education campaign would be a good way to start addrsssing that.

DanPatchToget
Target Field

Postby DanPatchToget » January 1st, 2019, 1:29 pm

Around 9:30 last night, but on a Twin Cities transit page I follow on Facebook a couple people have had the same experience. Also, while not on the train, the enclosed and heated stairwell at the 28th Avenue Park & Ride ramp reeks of cigarette smoke. A couple times I've seen people smoke there, so now I either try to park on the ground level or take one of the outdoor stairwells.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 2nd, 2019, 12:34 am

Smoking happens quite often on the CTA, especially in some of the rougher neighborhoods. On several occasions I've come across groups of teenagers smoking marijuana on the train too.

Typically the drivers don't say anything (probably because they won't know unless someone tells them) but just the other day a driver didn't move the train until the smoker got off.

I was in Toronto recently and their subway system was extremely clean. It seems that Metro Transit has quite a bit of littering issues, and perhaps there is something that Chicago and Minneapolis can learn from Toronto.

Bakken2016
Union Depot

Postby Bakken2016 » January 2nd, 2019, 9:43 am

Smoking and Litter has been a big problem for Metro Transit within the last year, it is getting out of hand. Really we need our police officers riding trains and being at platforms instead of being in patrol cars.

Return to “Transportation”