Transit Crime

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Transit Crime

Postby SurlyLHT » March 25th, 2019, 10:18 am

What does the forum think about having the transit equivalent of the DID Downtown Mpls helpers on the trains? They can clean up, given directions, and be a set of eyes to work with the transit police? They'll be cheaper than extra officers. Also for high crime areas why don't they just hire security? I lived next to the Lake St Station and the police would sit in a squad under the station or etc.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » March 25th, 2019, 12:18 pm

^^^I think highly of this idea.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: C Line - Penn Avenue North Rapid Bus

Postby SurlyLHT » February 7th, 2020, 10:46 am

Someone was shot on a C-Line bus as it at the station near the Target Center. I've seen other incidents at this stop before. This is one of those unnerving events, it wasn't that late at night and right in front of a lot of people and bus cameras. This doesn't help the perception of transit. Law enforcement needs to also adjust to the new era of gun violence where things are more based off of social media drama and gangs are less organized. A recent Strib article stated that gang members used to have to get permission to shoot someone, now with less hierarchy they dont.

http://www.startribune.com/one-dead-in- ... 567644852/

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 6th, 2020, 2:51 pm

https://www.startribune.com/woman-kicke ... 570248562/

Woman kicked in the head by teens at a green line stop in St Paul. Suspects aren't in custody. Lady didn't report the crime, the suspects appear to have posted it to their own social media...
Full video is disturbing.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » May 6th, 2020, 7:38 pm

That... was upsetting.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 8th, 2020, 3:26 pm

https://www.startribune.com/woman-kicke ... 570248562/

Woman kicked in the head by teens at a green line stop in St Paul. Suspects aren't in custody. Lady didn't report the crime, the suspects appear to have posted it to their own social media...
Full video is disturbing.
They got em. https://www.twincities.com/2020/05/07/3 ... -platform/

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 17th, 2020, 7:11 am

Does light rail actually bring crime to an area? Are there any stats that show crime increased in an area after light rail opened?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 20th, 2020, 8:34 am

There aren't a lot of data points to look at in the Twin Cities context.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 20th, 2020, 8:49 am

I figured, but of course that won't stop people from claiming light rail brings crime. :roll: You could say it can bring the potential for crime, just like a mall can bring the potential for crime (theft, shoplifting, etc.) and a highway can bring the potential for crime (drunk driving, reckless driving, road rage, etc.).

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 20th, 2020, 9:45 am

If you looked at 911 calls you'll probably find more at locations of some LRT stations after they were built. All you have to do is read the headlines or live near the Lake St station or Nicollet or Snelling. They might not be creating new crime, but concentrating it. An LRT station is a better place to steal a phone than a bus stop.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 20th, 2020, 10:04 am

You are also brining more people into a single area. I would not be surprised if you saw more crime due to a light rail stop being built but much of that could be due to more people coming to and from an area or even just more of it being reported. If im walking on a random street and someone takes my phone I won’t report it to 911 as besides what I give in a description they don’t have anything to work off of. But if it’s taken on the light rail I will as there are cameras and they can see where someone got off.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 20th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Anecdotally as well, the light rail is a great place to hang out for bored teens with nothing to do. That can both create a perception of more crime (because teenagers are scary) and also actually create it or concentrate it.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 20th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Also, the increase in homelessness and the opioid epidemics has probably led to more calls around LRT stations. Transit is obviously not the cause of homelessness or addiction, but where wayward people end up.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » April 11th, 2022, 12:54 pm

I was excited to visit Minneapolis this last weekend for a wedding after being away for around 3 years. I was hoping that a lot of what I had seen in the Strib was sensationalized relative to the light rail and its decreasing quality.

Taking the train twice on the trip-

1. Blue Line, MSP to Franklin Ave - 11:00AM. There were more likely unhoused individuals than other patrons. I wasn't personally bothered by this but other airport arrivers and perhaps first timers were clearly thrown. Getting off at the Franklin Av station I was sad to city that the city has basically given up trying to keep it nice. Each of the bays and all of the tracks were full of trash and personal belongings. All the glass was boarded up or heavily graffitied. Rough.

2. Green Line, East Bank to Warehouse District - 5:00pm. In my short four block train ride, not one but TWO people lit and smoked cigarettes on the train.

My main impression was that there is some definite truth to the news stories from my quick visit. How does this change? It felt embarrassing as someone who sings the praises of the city in their new home. It is certainly of a lower quality than when I was a full time resident.

Curious on everyone's thoughts. This is coming from a lover of Minneapolis, transit, and cities. I can only assume what others less enthused are thinking.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 11th, 2022, 4:19 pm

The situation on the trains has been deteriorating for years, and the Met Council and others are laser-focused on making sure we enforce the rules even less. Not optimistic about it. I don't get the sense that the people denying that this is an issue take the train often, much less depend on it, especially outside of rush hour.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » April 12th, 2022, 10:07 am

I was excited to visit Minneapolis this last weekend for a wedding after being away for around 3 years. I was hoping that a lot of what I had seen in the Strib was sensationalized relative to the light rail and its decreasing quality.

Taking the train twice on the trip-

1. Blue Line, MSP to Franklin Ave - 11:00AM. There were more likely unhoused individuals than other patrons. I wasn't personally bothered by this but other airport arrivers and perhaps first timers were clearly thrown. Getting off at the Franklin Av station I was sad to city that the city has basically given up trying to keep it nice. Each of the bays and all of the tracks were full of trash and personal belongings. All the glass was boarded up or heavily graffitied. Rough.

2. Green Line, East Bank to Warehouse District - 5:00pm. In my short four block train ride, not one but TWO people lit and smoked cigarettes on the train.

My main impression was that there is some definite truth to the news stories from my quick visit. How does this change? It felt embarrassing as someone who sings the praises of the city in their new home. It is certainly of a lower quality than when I was a full time resident.

Curious on everyone's thoughts. This is coming from a lover of Minneapolis, transit, and cities. I can only assume what others less enthused are thinking.
Well you missed out the many times I have seen people shotting up, smoking narcotics, urinating, pooping, throwing up, having sex and fighting. You missed out on the stabbing that occurred on the Green Line and the shotting the next day a few weeks ago. Next time take a Uber. It will be a lot safer.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 12th, 2022, 10:32 am

It definitely doesn't help that MTPD sits in their vehicles waiting for things to happen instead of riding the trains.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 12th, 2022, 11:31 am

It definitely doesn't help that MTPD sits in their vehicles waiting for things to happen instead of riding the trains.
Agreed, though if more cops were riding the trains then people would complain that they're uncomfortable with their presence due to the lack of trust in police. There's also the issue of how the police would enforce rules while riding on the trains. Do they know how to deescalate situations, or would they respond to tense situations with increased hostility? I'd like to be more optimistic, but this seems like a lose-lose situation whether more cops are riding the trains or they sit in their vehicles and wait for crime to happen.

What happened with that proposal to have unarmed transit ambassadors riding the trains to check tickets and ensure a safe environment on the trains and at stations? I think that would be worth a try, but the pessimist side of me sees very little people signing up to be transit ambassadors (even if there's good pay and benefits) and a lot of cases where ambassadors end up having to involve the police.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » April 12th, 2022, 12:21 pm

I can only imagine the response to the first video of a transit cop trying to get an uncooperative ‘unhoused’ person to leave the train.

I think I’d tend to sit in my vehicle too, thank you very much. Either that or quit.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 12th, 2022, 12:39 pm

Two guys were smoking crack or meth in the seats in front of me on a southbound Blue Line between downtown and Lake, on a Sunday afternoon. I don't ride that often, but I have been a bit more lately, several trips to the airport, etc. I haven't seen a transit cop on a train in years. I don't think they've been doing fare enforcement at all during the pandemic... which I would be fine with, I guess, if they were still a regular visible presence and doing something about the more serious criminal behavior.

I took some out-of-town friends to a Twins game Saturday afternoon and all was fine. If you're bringing any visitors on the train, during a Twins game is probably the only time you can be reasonably assured you won't see anything sketchy, due to the larger crowds.