Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
BoredAgain
Union Depot

Re: Riverview Corridor (Alternatives Analysis)

Postby BoredAgain » November 13th, 2017, 10:29 am

I think the main problem with this discussion is that you are all confusing "technical criteria" with "political decision making". I also wish that the two were more unified, but that is clearly not now the case.

nBode
Union Depot

Re: Riverview Corridor (Alternatives Analysis)

Postby nBode » November 13th, 2017, 10:36 am

So what happens when frequencies are adjusted?

IMO, conventions should be assigned based off of what I’ll call “most-perceptible differences” i.e. what the average person understands to be different between modes. I think it makes more sense for the average person to understand: color=it’s on rails; letter=it’s a fast fancy bus (ideally with its own lane); number=it’s a regular bus

Frequencies only matter (to most) in the sense that people want transportation to be there when they need it. “The bus comes every 10 minutes” is lower priority knowledge than “the bus comes in 3 minutes and it’s the nice kind of bus”

In other words, if people are already planning to use transit, easily decoding what sort of transit they have available is more valuable. Frequency can be found pretty much anywhere else.

Another point is that frequency is not visually identifiable. I think there is a benefit to the system for the general public to be able to say “Oh look, there goes the C Line”

^I hope that made sense. this is based mostly off of lots of anecdotal/experiential evidence.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Postby Bakken2016 » December 14th, 2017, 11:58 am

The Riverview Corridor PAC voted for a modern streetcar route along West 7th St as the LPA.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » March 7th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Just in case if anyone's interested in watching the live public hearing happening at the St Paul City Council, http://stpaul.granicus.com/mediaplayer. ... 212a634f55
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 8th, 2018, 9:25 am

The Saint Paul City Council voted 6-0 to support the Modern Streetcar.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 19th, 2018, 11:24 am

The Saint Paul City Council voted 6-0 to support the Modern Streetcar.
As well Bloomington City Council and the MAC have supported it as well.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 19th, 2018, 8:48 am

Reached out to Riverview for a couple updates.

See image below

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 19th, 2018, 10:04 am

Ramsey County just approved via the update email I got, they have pushed construction back to 2028.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 19th, 2018, 10:47 am

2028 :shock:
WOW!!!!!

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 19th, 2018, 11:09 am

Construction or opening in 2028?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 19th, 2018, 11:24 am

According to this email, construction would begin in 2028.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 19th, 2018, 11:39 am

Why does this stuff take so long? Is it a permiting issue, or money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » June 19th, 2018, 11:42 am

Ten years before shovels hit the ground on an 11-mile streetcar at-grade? And that's assuming nothing goes wrong!

We have a serious problem with our process. SWLRT was proposed in 1988(!) and began planning in earnest in 2002. 16 years and counting of non-construction work. Riverview, in the very best case, will be 10 years. Is the rule of thumb one year of planning per mile?

Perhaps it's time for transit advocates to shift from pushing for individual projects, to pushing for reform that will allow these projects to get up and running under a reasonable timeframe. It's no wonder we don't have the political will for these projects when five gubernatorial terms separate the proposal from the revenue service.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 19th, 2018, 11:59 am

Inexcusable, but thats reality with our process. Any transit supporters in the state and federal government need to change the rules to make the process quicker. However we also need a ballot in the Twin Cities region, and maybe even the whole state, to get substantial funding for transit. It worked in Los Angeles, Denver, Seattle, and Salt Lake City and look how much they've expanded their rail transit. And if the ballot fails then we try again.

If Riverview is anything like Southwest then this process is going to drag out for a long time. Why even bother asking baby boomers what they think when a lot of them will be dead by the time this gets finished? Sorry to be so dark, and I'm not actually advocating for ignoring the elderly's opinions on this, I'm just making a point on how unreasonably long this is.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 19th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Ten years before shovels hit the ground on an 11-mile streetcar at-grade? And that's assuming nothing goes wrong!

We have a serious problem with our process. SWLRT was proposed in 1988(!) and began planning in earnest in 2002. 16 years and counting of non-construction work. Riverview, in the very best case, will be 10 years. Is the rule of thumb one year of planning per mile?

Perhaps it's time for transit advocates to shift from pushing for individual projects, to pushing for reform that will allow these projects to get up and running under a reasonable timeframe. It's no wonder we don't have the political will for these projects when five gubernatorial terms separate the proposal from the revenue service.
Not that it should take this long, do remember that it is not a traditional streetcar, it is LRT with some street running, like MUNI in San Fran.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 19th, 2018, 12:14 pm

I think so. I would be more than happy to help. This is absolutely ridiculous. Like someone said in an earlier post, I don’t blame the legislators for not wanting to put funding toward a project that may or may not be billed even 10 years later.

It’s definitely time that some of us transit advocate stand up and say something, not that we haven’t, but it’s time we be louder.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 19th, 2018, 12:15 pm

I think so. I would be more than happy to help. This is absolutely ridiculous. Like someone said in an earlier post, I don’t blame the legislators for not wanting to put funding toward a project that may or may not be billed even 10 years later.

It’s definitely time that some of us transit advocate stand up and say something, not that we haven’t, but it’s time we be louder.

I'd join too. LET"S GET LOUD!

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 19th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Update to why it has been pushed back. I applaud them for being so quick to answer my questions with detailed answers.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 19th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Inexcusable, but thats reality with our process. Any transit supporters in the state and federal government need to change the rules to make the process quicker. However we also need a ballot in the Twin Cities region, and maybe even the whole state, to get substantial funding for transit. It worked in Los Angeles, Denver, Seattle, and Salt Lake City and look how much they've expanded their rail transit. And if the ballot fails then we try again.

If Riverview is anything like Southwest then this process is going to drag out for a long time. Why even bother asking baby boomers what they think when a lot of them will be dead by the time this gets finished? Sorry to be so dark, and I'm not actually advocating for ignoring the elderly's opinions on this, I'm just making a point on how unreasonably long this is.
If I remember correctly, we are not allowed to do ballot measures since the Met Council has it set up based on receiving transit funding from the Metro counties based on sales tax.

A Metro Wide sales tax was implemented while CTIB was in effect, but we saw how well that went. I think the counties raising sales tax even a bit higher would work better in the long run.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 19th, 2018, 12:47 pm

A 10 year planning period is really a long time. 10 years from beginning of AA to opening is much more reasonable, and really should be considered a maximum.

Really all that is left at this point is performing engineering and design work in the corridor and aquiring any needed properties. That really shouldn't take more than a few years.