DanPatchToget
US Bank Plaza

Re: Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Postby DanPatchToget » March 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm

alexschief wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 12:13 pm
tmart wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 10:47 am
One thing that increasingly concerns me (and now I'm going to be the broken record) is the lack of a coherent transit plan for Downtown St. Paul.
I'd probably prefer your concept of turning 5th over to transit, but the current plans are not completely discordant, and I think that's why there hasn't been a rush to propose an alternative. The Green Line represents an existing condition, and the Rush, Gold, and Riverview routes kinda do agree with each other. The idea of split one-way lines is nothing new and works in cities all over. No aBRT nor the Red Rock Corridor is currently in serious planning, and when other projects come up, they can adapt to the existing set-up easily by following the N-S and E-W trails already blazed by the existing projects.

There's a lot of synergy already. All three take the existing trunk routes on 5th and 6th as a starting point. Gold and Riverview will stop at or near the existing Central Station and the Union Depot. Both are also envisioned to stop Rice Park and at Kellogg (although, as I mentioned above, I think the Rice Park stop should be eliminated). I haven't seen it made official anywhere, but it's obvious that these stops could and should serve both modes on one platform, just as buses use the East Bank Station at the U. Even though the Gold Line is still in design, Riverview is so far out that it might be tricky to build the(se) Gold Line station(s) to LRT specifications, but I'm sure they could be designed in a way to allow future expansion.

The Rush/Purple Line comes into downtown at a slightly different angle, but it will share the Gold Line stations at Robert St, the Green Line Robert Street Station (I think this stop will eventually be renamed), and will also serve the Union Depot. So the only spot where all four services meet is the Union Depot, but that's probably fine, and will certainly make Commissioner Ortega happy.
Buses don't use the East Bank Station platforms, but they do operate on the tracks going through the station.

I'm not too familiar with how transit routes are configured in St. Paul, but is there something like Marq2 in Minneapolis, or is something like that being proposed for Gold/Rush/Riverview?

Trademark
Block E

Postby Trademark » March 31st, 2019, 12:37 pm

Is there any reasoning to why there is no stop for the Xcel Energy Center? Seems strange for no stops between grand avenue and the green line. Unless i missed something in the project documents.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm

There are proposed stops at Kellogg and at Washington (Rice Park/Landmark Center).

Trademark
Block E

Postby Trademark » March 31st, 2019, 6:11 pm

Tcmetro wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm
There are proposed stops at Kellogg and at Washington (Rice Park/Landmark Center).
That was the exact same places I put in my fantasy map that im working on. Thanks for the info

Vagueperson
Landmark Center

Postby Vagueperson » April 1st, 2019, 8:15 pm

https://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites ... _hazel.pdf

This includes Green and Gold. You can imagine the Rush just coming down Robert and meeting the Gold Line routing. I can't remember the Riverview routing, tho.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 10th, 2019, 2:06 pm

The problem with the Rush Line approach from the north is that you have to choose...
1. Go east to SPUD and terminate there?
2. Go west through the CBD and terminate west of Xcel Energy Center like the Gold Line will?
3. Have some circuitous routing that does both?

That's why I wish the Rush Line was approaching downtown from the east (maybe E 7th or Kellogg bridge) so it could route via SPUD then CBD then Smith Ave just like the Gold Line. Bonus: Then Gold and Rush could both get onto I-94 and run express to Minneapolis replacing route 94.

Vagueperson
Landmark Center

Postby Vagueperson » April 13th, 2019, 9:01 am

Advantage of Rush going on current routing rather than E7th or Kellogg is allowing a transfer to the Green Line without going into DT StP. I like the idea of Rush heading into DT MPLS, but people have complained about the length of routes and I'm just skeptical it would happen.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 2nd, 2019, 12:59 pm

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 2nd, 2019, 8:03 pm

Is there a chance this still gets moved to the CP rail spur? Why is that shown on the LPA and labeled as to be studied still?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 3rd, 2019, 5:17 am

mamundsen wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 8:03 pm
Is there a chance this still gets moved to the CP rail spur? Why is that shown on the LPA and labeled as to be studied still?
They plan on analyzing using W 7th vs the CP Rail Spur in more detail before deciding on which of the two they'll use (and how), but only for the highlighted section (I think from around Randolph to Davern).

Oreos&Milk
Metrodome

Postby Oreos&Milk » May 25th, 2019, 8:58 am

EOst wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 12:59 pm
Presentation on Riverview: http://agenda-suite.com:8080/agenda/ram ... /36048.doc
If there is no plan to merge this line with the midtown streetcar line I think this line should be labeled under the letter system instead of giving it an actual color likely being purple (yes, red line would be revoked as well eventually too!) I know we’re not up to it yet but the R Line would be pretty fitting. Granted we’re not building tons more lines in the future but when we run out of main colors there is gonna be the subconscious agreement that we are done expanding the system, and instead focusing on improving existing infrastructure.

It’s just bugs me that’s all. Besides that I’m liking everything I been seeing so far, plus south loop stations sharing a platform with blue and r line trains !lol so New York! Visitors probly be like ooooo they ran out of colors already. Plus it would help strengthen the branding of the letter system too as they wouldn’t all be busses. Of course I’m nit picking, but just want to see if everyone disagrees with me.

Return to “Transportation”