Bicycle design and innovations

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2724
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Bicycle design and innovations

Postby Anondson » October 17th, 2014, 9:59 am

It sometimes feels like there is a renaissance in bicycle design and innovation. Fat tire, electrical assist, lotsa stuff. Thought a thread to collect new concepts and articles on new stuff could have its own thread.

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2724
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby Anondson » October 17th, 2014, 10:00 am

Can a bike be designed for specific cities? Not exactly infrastructure, but bicycle innovation nonetheless.

Five design teams from five different cities designed for each specific city, Seattle, Portland, New York, Chicago, San Francisco. Neat ideas, and Chicago comes closest to our weather.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3036079/fast ... -bike-city

How many local bike designers/makers are there?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7134
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby mattaudio » October 17th, 2014, 10:10 am

I'd just love a mass-produced decent quality Dutch bike for $500ish.

grant1simons2
Capella Tower
Posts: 3851
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby grant1simons2 » October 17th, 2014, 10:54 am

There are a lot of local bike producers. All City, Surly, Framed, Handsome Cycles, Salsa, Civia, etc. and a lot of those are made right in Bloomington at the QBP warehouse. I still really wish they moved to Northeast, it would just make sense

Online
bubzki2
Target Field
Posts: 531
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Location: Union Park

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby bubzki2 » October 17th, 2014, 11:00 am

Well, frames are almost always Asian except hand-built. Assembly may occur here more often, though.

grant1simons2
Capella Tower
Posts: 3851
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby grant1simons2 » October 17th, 2014, 11:04 am

“We believe that we can start manufacturing bikes right here in Minnesota. That’s in our game plan,” said Steve Flagg, chief executive of Bloomington-based Quality Bicycle Products.

It’s a risky idea, no doubt. Roughly 95 percent of bikes sold in the world are produced in Taiwan or China and production costs are a big question.
http://blogs.mprnews.org/statewide/2013 ... de-dreams/

Online
bubzki2
Target Field
Posts: 531
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Location: Union Park

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby bubzki2 » October 17th, 2014, 11:05 am

That would be awesome, and I would definitely pay a premium for a MN/US made bike.

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2724
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby Anondson » October 22nd, 2014, 11:12 am

Accessory for bikes alert traffic sensors to change traffic lights.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/10/ ... en/381752/

Nice.

grant1simons2
Capella Tower
Posts: 3851
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby grant1simons2 » October 22nd, 2014, 11:18 am

This is good. Especially when you have cops in Chanhassen who pull bikes over for running reds after waiting for minutes

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7134
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby mattaudio » October 22nd, 2014, 11:21 am

grant1simons2 wrote:This is good. Especially when you have cops in Chanhassen who pull bikes over for running reds after waiting for minutes
Good thing I don't live in Chanhassen. But if I did, I'd tell them about 169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS., Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal. (a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions: ....

grant1simons2
Capella Tower
Posts: 3851
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby grant1simons2 » October 22nd, 2014, 11:29 am

It's Deputy Curtiss. The dudes a real jerk. He made my mom do a sobriety test at 11 pm for going 5 over the speed limit, then he calls in about 8 other officers for back up.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1445
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby talindsay » October 22nd, 2014, 3:09 pm

mattaudio wrote:
grant1simons2 wrote:This is good. Especially when you have cops in Chanhassen who pull bikes over for running reds after waiting for minutes
Good thing I don't live in Chanhassen. But if I did, I'd tell them about 169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS., Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal. (a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions: ....
Being a motorcyclist I was lobbying for the change that made 169.06 a reality. You're reading it wrong if you think that telling the cop about it would make any difference though: it's an *affirmative defense*, which means that if you do it, the cop tickets you for it. You then go to the judge and plead that yes, you broke the law stating that you can't run a red light, but you did it under the affirmative defense legally stipulated in 169.06, subd. 9. The judge then considers the facts as you describe them surrounding why you ran the red light, and you are declared innocent by virtue of the fact that you couldn't have triggered the light. But the cops don't have to care, and the law explicitly does *not* exempt you from following the traffic lights; it just gives the judge the authority to consider the facts and decide that you were acting appropriately when you violated the law.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1445
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby talindsay » October 22nd, 2014, 3:10 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:It's Deputy Curtiss. The dudes a real jerk. He made my mom do a sobriety test at 11 pm for going 5 over the speed limit, then he calls in about 8 other officers for back up.
Did she pass the sobriety test?

grant1simons2
Capella Tower
Posts: 3851
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby grant1simons2 » October 22nd, 2014, 3:18 pm

Of course. She was the designated driver

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4395
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby FISHMANPET » October 23rd, 2014, 10:37 am

talindsay wrote:
mattaudio wrote:
grant1simons2 wrote:This is good. Especially when you have cops in Chanhassen who pull bikes over for running reds after waiting for minutes
Good thing I don't live in Chanhassen. But if I did, I'd tell them about 169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS., Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal. (a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions: ....
Being a motorcyclist I was lobbying for the change that made 169.06 a reality. You're reading it wrong if you think that telling the cop about it would make any difference though: it's an *affirmative defense*, which means that if you do it, the cop tickets you for it. You then go to the judge and plead that yes, you broke the law stating that you can't run a red light, but you did it under the affirmative defense legally stipulated in 169.06, subd. 9. The judge then considers the facts as you describe them surrounding why you ran the red light, and you are declared innocent by virtue of the fact that you couldn't have triggered the light. But the cops don't have to care, and the law explicitly does *not* exempt you from following the traffic lights; it just gives the judge the authority to consider the facts and decide that you were acting appropriately when you violated the law.
Do you know why it's an affirmative defense rather than just being legal? Seems like a waste of everyone's time to go to court over a silly little ticket like that.
Peter Bajurny
peter@bajurny.us
@FISHMANPET
612-208-6618

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1445
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby talindsay » October 23rd, 2014, 11:21 am

I don't know, but I suspect it's because this actually doesn't happen *that* often, and basically allowing a class of vehicle to simply blow through red lights could lead to a lot of confusion. Matt didn't post the conditions. *ALL* of these have to be true for an affirmative defense to be made, and note that only (a)(1) is actually objective. Points 2-4 have various degrees of subjectivity to them:
(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2724
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby Anondson » October 24th, 2014, 11:09 pm

This is good stuff. Seven inventions from Minnesota companies.

http://www.minnpost.com/line/2014/10/cy ... ign=buffer

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2724
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby Anondson » December 5th, 2014, 8:37 am

To heck with tiny reflectors, make the entire bike reflective!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/201 ... paign=8315

I think I love it.

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2724
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby Anondson » January 22nd, 2015, 10:57 am

Vibrating handle bars to ease navigation.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2015/01/the ... on/384731/

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 2724
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Bicycle design and innovations

Postby Anondson » April 6th, 2015, 7:48 am

Solar powered electric bike from Denmark?

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2015/04/lea ... le/389588/


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mamundsen, Vagueperson and 3 guests