Dan Patch Intercity Regional Passenger Rail

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Re: Dan Patch Intercity Regional Passenger Rail

Postby SteveXC500 » September 9th, 2017, 2:40 pm

I know TCW proposed spending the money to fix the river crossing in Savage. Did this happen?

I grew up in Lakeville when this corridor saw plenty of commercial rail traffic. I took the survey to support utilizing the corridor again. It would be nice to provide additional transit options there.

DanPatchToget
Nicollet Mall

Postby DanPatchToget » September 9th, 2017, 5:59 pm

TCW started work on the bridge in 2015 or 2016. I think most, if not all, of the work has been finished. From what I've been told by TCW crew they're waiting on the new wye track in St. Louis Park so it'll be much easier to operate grain trains between the MN&S and their own trackage. The new wye will be built as part of the Southwest LRT project.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 18th, 2017, 7:48 am

Here's the agenda from last night's Edina City Council meeting. https://edina.novusagenda.com/AgendaPub ... ype=Agenda A link to the study done by Kimley Horn is in there (255 pages!!). They recommended the city not continue studying the corridor for passenger rail at this time, and not fight for lifting the gag rule either. The council voted along those recommendations.

This is all based primarily on a political feasibility of support for lifting the gag rule, champions (local and elected) for getting a rail line built, and a fairly weak technical feasibility of the Grandview area's demographics ability to support rail (yes, they do look at the State's rail plans that discuss the corridor's broader feasibility). Also, they used a whopping 949 citizen touch points to determine they're recommendation. All of which goes to show that the region/state should be the ones discussing this corridor, not a single city.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 18th, 2017, 7:54 am

Given the political headwinds against Dan Patch, I don't think their analysis is unreasonable. Edina's councilmembers would be sticking their neck very far out for a project that is still very unlikely to be built.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 18th, 2017, 8:05 am

Hi, yes, I'd like to be paid just half of whatever Kimley Horn was to tell Edina's City Council that pushing for a rail project like this as one city - full of wealthy white people - of many other cities that instituted the gag rule was politically unpopular and fraught with challenges.

Kimley Horn didn't do an analysis of whether the *line* (commuter, regional, or otherwise) was a worthy one based on updated population/jobs data, travel preferences, etc along the likely stops of a given handful of routes. They didn't do a hard technical study of the line's condition, cost to upgrade for passenger service and annual operating plan. That information - they type of information the State is prevented from studying but a city still can - would have been useful in convincing other cities whether next steps are worth it. As it is, they talked to a relative handful of people who unsurprisingly said they don't support looking into this, and the majority of the concern was about property values. That's disappointing, and it's not how we should govern IMO.

DanPatchToget
Nicollet Mall

Postby DanPatchToget » October 18th, 2017, 9:26 am

I believe it was mentioned that this gag order is the only known law of its kind in this country. I assume they mean specifically banning a passenger rail line from being studied and built by the state and regional government. Whether or not this is true its very un-democratic and just shows that you don't need facts and logic when you have tons of money to "tell" your representative to kill this project. If I had the money maybe I would fight tooth and nail to stop road projects just to piss off these people who didn't realize that tracks are used by trains.

Now for the inevitable arguments that because Edina's study (in my opinion piss poor) concluded it wasn't worth supporting that means we can drop this.

Return to “Transportation”