Fantasy maps

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Fantasy maps

Postby DanPatchToget » September 22nd, 2018, 2:37 pm

Twin Cities regional rail system map-https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CW_28 ... sp=sharing

Approximate system length is 1,270 miles! However, most if not all the routes outside the exurbs would have a single digit number of roundtrips per day.

I rerouted the line from Montgomery to use the Dan Patch Line between Savage and Minneapolis so its a one-seat ride Shakopee-Minneapolis. It would be difficult fitting that in with the Dan Patch Corridor, as the line would already need capacity upgrades just for trains to/from Northfield.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 22nd, 2018, 7:40 pm

It’s a little hard to read on my phone... but I’m wondering why you’re routing seems to miss so many points of interest?

Rosedale area, Maplewood Mall area, Woodbury Lakes, Uptown!!!, the airport!, south minneapolis, the purple loop doesn’t go downtown Minneapolis, etc.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 22nd, 2018, 9:04 pm

Looks like he's using existing rail corridors. So, there's no railroads near those points of interest.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 23rd, 2018, 1:02 am

Silophant is correct. All of those destinations would be served by BRT or LRT on my rapid transit map which you can find on the previous page of this thread. This is only regional rail, which makes less stops and mostly uses active or abandoned railroad right-of-way.

As for the Ring Line not serving Downtown Minneapolis, there’s no easy way of getting it there and then back onto the loop, but there would be good transit connections to downtown from East Minneapolis/University and Broadway & Central stations.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » September 23rd, 2018, 10:46 am

Just curious, has anyone thought of fantasy ideas for stations/transit hubs be it vastly improving them or downright creating new ones?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 23rd, 2018, 7:24 pm

Oh if this is ONLY regional rail, IMO there are WAY too many stops. Some of these routes seem to have more stops than the actual or planned LRT/BRT routes. Even if it is “fantasy maps” there should be a little reality.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 24th, 2018, 1:18 am

It would be split into local and regional service. For example on the Dan Patch Corridor between Minneapolis and Albert Lea the regional service would operate the whole route with 12 stops while the local service would operate as far south as Downtown Lakeville with 11 stops.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 6th, 2018, 9:30 am

My intercity and regional rail system map of the entire state:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141802592 ... ed-public/

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » November 12th, 2018, 9:04 am

I'm making a map of a new Mall of America Transit Station that would be elevated over the intersection of 82nd Street & 28th Avenue and an elevated station parallel to 82nd Street near the intersection with 24th Avenue, but would that be a no-go from the FAA with the flightpath?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 12th, 2018, 9:30 am

I doubt it, unless you're putting it like 80' up. The height limit can't be lower than however tall the park and ride ramp is.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » November 27th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Maybe someday will get a DMU Northstar train...

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 6th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 1st, 2019, 5:46 pm

Has anyone done a fantasy map of Broadway/Lowry/Victory/Theodore Worth?

https://twitter.com/OurStreetsMpls/stat ... 1929789440

So much opportunity...

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 7th, 2019, 9:00 am

Improvements to local bus routes within Bloomington and crossing to neighboring suburbs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Un3XE ... sp=sharing

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 4th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Here's a map of a bikeway system in Bloomington. Consists of protected bike lanes, regular bike lanes, and trails. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NawIH ... sp=sharing

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 10th, 2019, 9:48 am

Improvements to local bus routes within Bloomington and crossing to neighboring suburbs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Un3XE ... sp=sharing
Anyone else think the Southdale Transit Station should be further south? Say, on the northern edge of the Promenade, so that it’s walkable infrastructure all around it?

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 10th, 2019, 9:50 am

Here's a map of a bikeway system in Bloomington. Consists of protected bike lanes, regular bike lanes, and trails. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NawIH ... sp=sharing
I especially like the France & York bikeways.

Do we need different levels of bikeways for different locations? “Arterial” (fast) bike lanes vs. neighborhood (slow) bike lanes?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 10th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Besides a few short segments I think all of them would be "arterial" bike lanes, since these are meant to reduce travel time by bike and make it an attractive option for getting to places.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » October 10th, 2019, 10:14 am

Don't know where to put this, has there ever been any talk of having some sort of "loop" type transit in downtown Minneapolis? Thinking of Chicago obviously, but using some sort of BRT system connecting the major neighborhoods of downtown,nightlife/recreational spots and shopping areas (Downtown east, Elliot Park, Nicollet, Loring Park, North Loop.) It just feels like most transit talked about in the Twin Cities is focused on commuting and not for the actual residents of Downtown to be able to leave their cars at home and visit a friend in a different neighborhood, check out a play, or stop by a brewery using public transit of some sort as opposed to driving or Ubering. I know there's probably existing bus routes to reach all of these destinations, but just having a simple loop that would be labeled on the transit map and colored, that had the updated bus stops of the BRT system so people easily knew where this thing picked people up and dropped you off, so that people just knew that if you were in Downtown you could just hop on the "loop" to get to basically every end of downtown.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » October 10th, 2019, 12:51 pm

I assume you are talking about something like the gold loop on here or the maroon loop.
However, using our existing transit infrastructure 7th & 8th St BRT stops (Purple) and 2nd & Marquette bus lanes (Blue) would be best for frequent loop service. The riverfront needs one too for Mill District & North Loop - 1st & Washington (Green) would be a good candidate for improved service/bus stops.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LkxAJ ... sp=sharing