Fantasy maps

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MNdible
is great.

Re: Fantasy maps

Postby MNdible » May 1st, 2017, 9:41 am

It would be a pretty minor jog around the building, honestly. And since it would likely require a new bridge over Hennepin anyway (railroads haven't been terribly accommodating to sharing ROW), that bridge alignment could make the route pretty direct.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 8th, 2017, 11:38 am

My Metro System (renamed Twin Cities Rapid Transit System) map-https://www.flickr.com/photos/141802592 ... ed-public/

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 8th, 2017, 12:10 pm

I like all of the coverage. A few of those lines are REALLY long. The MOA to EP would most likely not be another Blue Line extension. Right?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 8th, 2017, 2:12 pm

I like all of the coverage. A few of those lines are REALLY long. The MOA to EP would most likely not be another Blue Line extension. Right?
Yeah, extending the Teal Line between MOA and Eden Prairie would likely be a better option. Would make a great east-west corridor and a one seat ride between Eden Prairie and St. Paul.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 8th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Surprised there's no love for the Midtown line!

Here's something a twitter user made, I'm not sure what his user name is on here. But it's a thing. https://twitter.com/alexschief/status/8 ... 2671020034

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 8th, 2017, 2:48 pm

I'd love to see that midtown red line happen someday.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 8th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Yeah, extending the Teal Line between MOA and Eden Prairie would likely be a better option. Would make a great east-west corridor and a one seat ride between Eden Prairie and St. Paul.
More thoughts as I keep looking at this:
1. Right now, I think your downtown Minneapolis/UMN has too much going on.
2. some of the freeway BRTs have too many stops. (if I'm understanding it correctly)
3. interline the Rush Line (pink) and Riverview (teal).
4. I wonder about a 36 - 394 interlined BRT...?

Also, really surprised that there's no love for Midtown or Nicollet-Central Streetcars.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 8th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Here's one I never got around to finishing/polishing:

http://i.imgur.com/K9Oj8eq.jpg

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 8th, 2017, 5:51 pm

More thoughts as I keep looking at this:
1. Right now, I think your downtown Minneapolis/UMN has too much going on.
2. some of the freeway BRTs have too many stops. (if I'm understanding it correctly)
3. interline the Rush Line (pink) and Riverview (teal).
4. I wonder about a 36 - 394 interlined BRT...?

Also, really surprised that there's no love for Midtown or Nicollet-Central Streetcars.
1. Too much going on as in saturated transit service, or too much as in confusing to figure out?
2. In terms of the Orange Line and Red Line northern extensions I just decided on the best potential locations for a station, some of which were very close to each other but doesn't mean its set in stone.
3. The map assumes Riverview (Teal) is LRT, while the Rush Line (Pink) is going with BRT. However I could interline the Pink or Gold and Lime (I-35E) lines.
4. That or continue on I-94 to downtown St. Paul and replace the current Route 94. Since I-394 is a trunk route for express buses to the west metro it would/will probably be BRT, but since there are a lot of jobs along there I went with LRT instead, with a shared station at Bryn Mawr (Penn Avenue) with the Southwest LRT. With Dinkytown booming but just a little too far to walk to the Green Line I opted for a LRT to there via the Northern Pacific 9 Bridge and Dinkytown Trench.

The Midtown and Nicollet-Central lines are for another map I'm making on arterial rapid transit corridors in the Twin Cities. Still a work in progress.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » May 8th, 2017, 8:14 pm

I think the Rush Line's Phalen Village and Maryland stop will be one in the same. Also this preserves the 61 south of Maryland and no 54 extension, which should be happening by the end of the summer.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 8th, 2017, 8:33 pm

This should be the 2027 (10 year) goal. Plus aBRTs! Minus the pink one (is that Red Rock?).

This has green and blue extensions, orange, gold, rush and riverview in planning, and midtown in a pipe dream. Am I crazy that I actually think that is achievable?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 8th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Yeah, some problems. Pink = Red Rock. Also doesn't make any guesses at what the local bus system would look like after the reorganizations this would require. Definitely not finished, but I also haven't worked on it in a while.

Would require a DFL landslide in 2018 or (at latest) 2020.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » May 9th, 2017, 5:41 am

DFL landslide is not unthinkable given the current political dumpster fire. Whether that's enough, on the other hand...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 9th, 2017, 9:36 am

Nobody has much of anything going NE, which seems like a miss, IMO. NE Mpls is an up and coming submarket and it's fairly densely populated. I understand though that there's not a great/obvious terminus, unless we think Rosedale or maybe Medtronic makes a good one.

If we're truly fantasizing, I'd have subway lines through Hennepin/Nicollet, Lake St, and Central Ave NE in Mpls and Grand Ave, University Ave, and/or Snelling Ave in StP.....all connected to the hubs in both downtowns, underground.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

One version of my map had a hypothetical extension of the Orange Line to Rosedale, with stops in the Mill District (before getting back on 35W), University/4th, and Stinson. Doesn't do a lot for NE though, especially compared to aBRT on Central.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » May 11th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Sort've off-topic, but to me it would make sense to utilize a naming system where buses are numbered, BRT lettered, and LRT colored. Can anyone speak to this (as in, why it would or wouldn't work), as it seems like Metro Transit's current plans are haphazard, naming-wise...

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 11th, 2017, 2:32 pm

The only reason we keep the Gold Line called as such is to prevent Ramsey County from getting mad about all the LRT getting built in Hennepin. To a lesser extent, same goes for the Red and Orange, though I wonder if that'll change now that we don't care so much about what Dakota County thinks about transit anymore.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » May 11th, 2017, 7:38 pm

The only reason we keep the Gold Line called as such is to prevent Ramsey County from getting mad about all the LRT getting built in Hennepin. To a lesser extent, same goes for the Red and Orange, though I wonder if that'll change now that we don't care so much about what Dakota County thinks about transit anymore.
I'm pretty sure the reason Gold Line is a color is because it runs for the most part in exclusive guideway. It's more sketchy with the red line and orange line, where the shoulders and toll lanes are counted as exclusive guideway.

Really if any BRT line should have a color, it's the Gold Line.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 11th, 2017, 9:23 pm

I think of them as "lines where it makes sense to name all the stops on a map" and "lines where it doesn't."

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 13th, 2017, 8:50 am