Minnesota Transportation Funding (General)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minnesota Transportation Funding (General)

Postby DanPatchToget » March 29th, 2017, 11:13 am

How much does the state contribute for operating expenses of the A Line and the Red Line? Will the state contribute operating expenses for planned BRT and/or ABRT projects?

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » March 31st, 2017, 1:59 pm

There may be a better thread than this, but...

The bridge fire in Atlanta got me thinking that we have not emphasized enough that unforeseen catastrophe can happen closing down a vital link in the highway network, or a portion of it, and having versatility for residents to get around is a valuable thing. Roads and rail together build a more resilient network, when one link is out the other can pick up some slack, but throw entirely in on highways and when it fractures there is little to be done.

After the 35W bridge collapse we should know this well, but maybe because of our well formed highway grid it we made it through well enough. Detour 35W to 694/94 or 280, and after a few tight months we endured.

With the I-85 overpass out in Atlanta, I'm trying to think if there are links like that where a highway outage in the Twin Cities is just as fragile to a wide area. Like the 394 viaduct, could 35W and 55 fit all that traffic detoured if it came down unexpectedly?

Is there a component to the highway network that is so critical that it's loss could not have slack picked up? This is more thought experiment than anything else, where is the Minnesota highway network as fragile as this part of Atlanta, or is it?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 31st, 2017, 2:42 pm

It'd have to be somewhere that would affect two freeways at once. I think our network is redundant enough to overcome shutting down one single freeway even if it's I-94.

Most catastrophic would be I-35W and 494 interchange, I-94/35W commons south of downtown, then probably crosstown commons or 35E/94 in St. Paul.

EOst
Wells Fargo Center

Postby EOst » March 31st, 2017, 3:07 pm

I imagine any part of the downtown loop--especially the southern leg--would have dramatic effects if it were shut down. Something like the Lowry Hill tunnel collapsing, or (as acs mentioned) the 94/35 commons.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 31st, 2017, 3:14 pm

The new Stillwater bridge, of course!

DanPatchToget
Nicollet Mall

Postby DanPatchToget » April 2nd, 2017, 7:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-UUxptw5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nkJKMvK3Yk

Seems SEPTA was in similar predicaments in the 1980s as Metro Transit faces now (besides the corruption part, at least we don't have that!)

Tiller
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tiller » April 5th, 2017, 9:40 am

Interesting anecdote about public vs private infrastructure ownership.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/o ... ebook.com/

Return to “Transportation”