Minnesota Transportation Funding (General)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tiller
US Bank Plaza

Re: Minnesota Transportation Funding (General)

Postby Tiller » September 2nd, 2017, 11:31 pm

One more month until we have a .5 cent transit sales tax in Hennepin and Ramsey counties.

mamundsen
Foshay Tower

Postby mamundsen » October 5th, 2017, 10:36 pm

Um... I had a friend post this on Facebook. I am on my phone so I haven't dug into it, but this is cannon fodder for less spending on transit.

Chamberlain statement on $237 million Met Council accounting discrepancy

https://www.mnsenaterepublicans.com/cha ... screpancy/

Tiller
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tiller » October 5th, 2017, 11:41 pm

I read about that in the Pioneer Press today, the GOP is just blowing smoke out their ass. (Strib link b/c pioneer press changed stuff with their website) http://m.startribune.com/report-met-cou ... 449427223/

Dibble put it concisely:
Sen. Scott Dibble, DFL-Minneapolis, released a statement dismissing GOP criticism.

“A simple reading of the report makes it clear that the alleged discrepancy Republicans claim is comparing apples to oranges. The state budget request — submitted in February 2017 — offers funding projections for the next four years,” Dibble said.

The senator said the dissolution of the regional Counties Transit Improvement Board, “dramatically changed the landscape of funding for transit in the metro area, especially for Southwest Light Rail Transit.”

He said the federal financial management plan submitted at the end of June 2017 provided a look back at 10 years of funding, and 20 years of projected spending. It also included substantial changes to reflect the negative outcomes of the 2017 session and Hennepin County picking up the tab for what he called funding failures at the state level.
General transit funding for metro transit =/= CTIB (and now county) funding. CTIB funding has been explicitly set aside for transitways, as opposed to local bus service and even aBRT. It's yet to be seen if Hennepin County will be willing to chip in for aBRT.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 6th, 2017, 7:54 am

Ok I mostly agree the GOP is using this report for political purposes when there isn't that big of a problem.

That said, it is a *bit* odd that the Met Council uses different Metro Mobility growth rate assumptions for its internal finance report (8.95%) vs the federal one (5%). I believe the Council when they say the different assumptions and finance buckets included in one vs the other are legitimate and reviewed by the FTA, but it would be nice, as the OLA suggests, to have those assumptions (and why they're different from other financial reports other people might read) more clearly laid out in future reports.

Return to “Transportation”