Franklin Avenue

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Franklin Avenue

Postby EOst » July 30th, 2015, 11:17 am

I assume you do the same on eastbound 15th, with the curb lane to sharrow merge there? That merge is the danger zone, so if that's your practice there, it'd make sense to not see it as any more dangerous than the others.

I'll take a full lane on Franklin, but when I do it on 15th, I get very angry drivers. I've been cursed out and people have laid on their horns.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » July 30th, 2015, 1:39 pm

I assume you do the same on eastbound 15th, with the curb lane to sharrow merge there? That merge is the danger zone, so if that's your practice there, it'd make sense to not see it as any more dangerous than the others.

I'll take a full lane on Franklin, but when I do it on 15th, I get very angry drivers. I've been cursed out and people have laid on their horns.
Yes, though when I traveled through that area it wasn't usually a high traffic time so my affect on cars was minimal.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » August 3rd, 2015, 10:05 pm

I was under the impression that the soon-to-be-replaced bridge at 24th would no longer have stairs to traverse...

mulad

Postby mulad » August 4th, 2015, 7:43 am

twincitizen posted a link the other day to some pdfs he scavenged from the I-35W/Lake Street project website. The two "PAC" pdfs at the end show different layouts considered. The best guess is that either concept 7 or 8 has gone forward (both are variants of concept 6 in the other, earlier document). They both have a switchback ramp to reach the bridge plus a stairway. (Concept 7 has a curving bridge which would be easier to use on a bike, while concept 8 has sharp 90-degree turns at each end).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3h0hti2upyqu ... gYSDa?dl=0

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 4th, 2015, 9:02 am

The more important issue with this bridge, clearly, is whether or not it will have a bumpout for amateur photographers shooting the skyline.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 4th, 2015, 9:15 am

That is certainly a reasonable accommodation. Something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/8qEtn
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 2nd, 2016, 9:16 am

http://www.hennepin.us/franklinbridge
September 1, 2016
The Franklin Avenue Bridge reopened to traffic this afternoon. Pedestrians, bicyclists and motor vehicles can all use the bridge to cross the Mississippi River again.

Accelerated bridge construction techniques were used so construction crews could remove and replace the entire bridge deck in just 17 weeks -- shortening the need for an extended closure and detour.

Significant engineering and construction planning have resulted in a historically accurate, multi-modal bridge deck configuration that will serve bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists well into the future.

Motorists can now enjoy a brand new structural bridge deck across the Franklin Avenue Bridge. Pedestrians and cyclists are able to cross the bridge using the newly constructed -- and separated -- facilities.

While a majority of the work above deck is done, please understand that crews will continue work periodically within one side of the bicycle and pedestrian lanes through the fall. This is to allow under deck restoration efforts to continue.

We appreciate the patience and cooperation of all -- particularly the local neighborhoods and regular users of the bridge. We understand the challenges of the detour and extended work hours during the accelerated schedule.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 2nd, 2016, 10:10 am

It is absolutely lovely. A home run. Though the 'no bikes' signs are still up. Uh... they can use the traffic lane.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » September 2nd, 2016, 10:33 am

Tweet this morning...

https://twitter.com/MSP_Traffic/status/ ... 3280820224

Comments are what I expected.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » September 2nd, 2016, 10:41 am

Btw, anyone know if parkway under the bridge is open? I know the parkway was reopened at the mudslide site yesterday, but wonder of there is still a detour at the bridge.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 2nd, 2016, 10:46 am

Open.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 2nd, 2016, 11:02 am

Anyone know what the lane widths are on the bridge? I learned last week that CSAH standards for bridges are 13 feet for outer lanes and 11 feet for inner lanes, is that what we have here or did they not rebuild to state standards?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 2nd, 2016, 11:20 am

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 2nd, 2016, 12:08 pm

Ah, no, how will 10' wide buses ever navigate only 13' lanes.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SamtheBusNerd
City Center

Postby SamtheBusNerd » April 13th, 2017, 7:57 am

Posted this here for the sake of not duplicating threads.

What are folks thoughts on the MnDOT detour of all freeway access traffic from Hennepin/Lyndale down Franklin at the moment? When I first saw they were going to do this I figured they would have tried to mitigate how it would impact the neighborhood. Guess I was overly optimistic. We've got blocks and blocks of backed up traffic (sometimes all the way to Chicago, way-increased noise and pollution, a #2 bus that is now even less reliable than ususal, and a street that's even harder to walk/bike along.

Is there somebody who's responsible for this?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2017, 8:08 am

a street that's even harder to walk/bike along.
That's quite the achievement for Franklin Ave.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » April 13th, 2017, 10:09 am

What are folks thoughts on the MnDOT detour of all freeway access traffic from Hennepin/Lyndale down Franklin at the moment? When I first saw they were going to do this I figured they would have tried to mitigate how it would impact the neighborhood. Guess I was overly optimistic. We've got blocks and blocks of backed up traffic (sometimes all the way to Chicago, way-increased noise and pollution, a #2 bus that is now even less reliable than ususal, and a street that's even harder to walk/bike along.

Well this explains why I've seen so much traffic lately (I walk through 3rd and Franklin on my way home). Each day there have been cars stuck in the middle of the intersection because they tried (and failed) to get through the light. Lots of honking and pissed off looking drivers. They probably should get police out to control traffic during rush hour.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » April 13th, 2017, 11:18 pm

It's a disaster, I've abandoned my usual 2>67 for the 18>Greenline for my work commutes as of this week.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 14th, 2017, 9:11 am

Wait. Is this the reason that the 35W on-ramps at 35th/36th street have seen so much more morning rush traffic lately? I live right by them and the traffic flow on surrounding streets is all messed up. I thought it might be related to the stop signs substituting on some corners for 35th street ADA intersection upgrades, but that didn't seem to add up.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » April 14th, 2017, 10:17 am

Looks like the onramp closure ends next Tuesday, but then the WB I-94 exit to Hennepin/Lyndale closes the next day through the end of the month. The official detour goes along 11th St. to Hennepin. After that work on the Lowry tunnel begins...
My flickr photos.