U of M transitway bicycle usage?

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
WAngell
Block E

U of M transitway bicycle usage?

Postby WAngell » September 15th, 2015, 10:22 am

Does anyone have an idea of how much the transitway between the campuses is used for bicycling? Are there other routes that students prefer to avoid the buses or are the bus drivers generally quite courteous?

Thanks,

wheresmysocks
Block E

Re: U of M transitway bicycle usage?

Postby wheresmysocks » September 15th, 2015, 10:31 am

In my experience biking the Transitway for the first time this season, cyclists typically outnumber any other mode of transportation. Buses (especially campus buses, less so Metro Transit buses) will give you either the entire lane or drive down the middle of the Transitway while passing you (but never less than three feet). The only negative interactions I've had with buses are the occasional #3 crossing on Como at the end of the Transitway ignoring some very red lights.

Aside from crossing Energy Park Drive about the only sketchy situations are watching for cross traffic at Malcolm Avenue (I'm guessing people going to/from Surly are the biggest culprits) and Westgate Drive. Otherwise, it's an incredibly pleasant journey.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 15th, 2015, 10:57 am

Does anyone have an idea of how much the transitway between the campuses is used for bicycling? Are there other routes that students prefer to avoid the buses or are the bus drivers generally quite courteous?

Thanks,
At least when I'm there on weekends, I concur that there are more bikes than anyone else. I have generally used the side path, although this weekend I went through in the "street" without any real conflicts. Of course, the St. Paul Classic was going the other way, and it was Sunday morning.

I have typically bailed before going over the big bridge over the railroad tracks, preferring to cross under them and ride along Raymond instead of making the climb.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » September 15th, 2015, 11:59 am

In the dead of winter I run on the transitway because everything else is either iced over, snowy, or full of vehicles. I run on the edge of the traffic lane. I've never so much as gotten a dirty look from the bus drivers - I wave at them, they generally wave back, and they give me a wide berth. Of course, for that I'm running into traffic, not with it, because I can't assume they'll see me or get out of my way. But it's a very pleasant experience, and the bus drivers are very courteous.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 15th, 2015, 12:05 pm

I have typically bailed before going over the big bridge over the railroad tracks, preferring to cross under them and ride along Raymond instead of making the climb.
That is the way you are "supposed" to go, as they don't want bikes on the bridge. I'd go Raymond if I was going to the west side of campus, the bridge if the east.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 15th, 2015, 12:42 pm

I ride the Transitway every day. The bus drivers are great, even during the State Fair, when the route gets totally jammed with buses. Bicycles greatly outnumber any other users. As mentioned above, the (probable) Surly patrons crossing at Malcom are something to watch out for- I've had a number of close calls on my bike and seen one driver blow the stop sign and get t-boned by a bus.

If you approach the Energy Park Drive stoplight in the middle of the lane, you can trip the sensor and trigger the light to change even on your bike, making that crossing easy. Overall a very enjoyable ride.

WAngell
Block E

Postby WAngell » September 15th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Thank you all. Very heartening to hear and similar to my very few experiences.