Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MSP
Block E

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby MSP » November 9th, 2012, 8:37 am

They are huge in Internet Explorer...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 9th, 2012, 10:16 am

Using Chrome with the new theme that adds reputation, and they're thumbnails for me. Maybe it's the theme and not the browser?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 9th, 2012, 10:50 am

I think you're right. They display as thumbnails for me at work using an older IE browser, with the prosilver theme for the forum.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » November 9th, 2012, 6:05 pm

I'm using chrome and those pics are beyond massive.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 10th, 2012, 8:05 pm

They added a little University of Minnesota welcome-y thing on Washington here. I likey!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 16th, 2012, 1:57 am

According to the details of the service changes going into effect in early December, the Downtown St. Paul detours will be ending. That means that in theory, Cedar St. should be open to traffic by next month. Based on what it looked like north of 7th St. when I last was there, that seems like a tall order, but maybe they just have to pour a little concrete to get it open.

On another note, does anyone know what they plan to do with the triangular plot of land next to Central Station? I don't hold out much hope of it being developed in the near-term, but would they invest money into making it public open space? I just hope it doesn't sit fenced off for years.
My flickr photos.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » November 19th, 2012, 2:00 am

Does anyone know whether they are going to end parking minimums within a certain radius of stations? Probably the easiest way of stimulating new development, lowering rents, and promoting transit use. Portland does it within 500 ft of stations. Is it in the works along the Green Line?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2012, 9:28 am

How about removing parking minimums for any parcel within 1 foot of the cities of Minneapolis or St. Paul.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 19th, 2012, 9:51 am

I'm not clear on the whole story, but Saint Paul did have a Central Corridor Overlay District that specified a minimum of zero and a maximum of one space per residential unit for parcels within 1/4 mile of station areas, with exceptions possible. Non-residential uses had much more complicated rules.

The overlay district has unfortunately been repealed, though some concepts have transferred into the main parking code. Sec. 63.207(b) says that parking minimums go down to zero for Traditional Neighborhood parcels (T1 through T4) within 1/4 mile of University Avenue, but that's a much smaller area overall since a lot of TN zoning only covers the half of a block directly facing University, and some parcels along University have non-TN zoning.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » November 19th, 2012, 1:37 pm

BTW, i noticed significant progress near rice street last week with regard to the roadway. it should be carrying traffic now or sometime very soon. hoping the rice street, marion, and mlk intersections are completed soon. i noticed that the road crew carefully and considerately placed the manhole covers directly in the wheel path in the new lanes so drivers/passengers using those lanes should expect a bumpy ride for the next 100 years.
:roll:

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » November 19th, 2012, 2:00 pm

FYI, it looks like construction will be going for a while into winter. I think they stopped by this date last year:

City of Saint Paul <[email protected]>:
The Metropolitan Council has requested a sound level variance for construction work associated with the Central Corridor Project. The work is to be done on Cedar St. between 7th St. and 11th St. The request is for an unlimited number of double shifts (6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.) and up to 15 overnight shifts (10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.) The variance would begin Dec. 6 and run through Dec. 31, 2012. The public hearing is scheduled for Dec. 5th, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. in the City Council chambers. Contact [email protected] with comments.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » November 19th, 2012, 2:01 pm

That's (un)funny - I noticed the manhole placement, too. Back when I was a reporter, one of the city council members always brought this up whenever new construction was proposed. At the time I thought it was a bit over-the-top, but then I started paying attention and it's surprising how often this is done. All the more reason to take the train, I suppose.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 19th, 2012, 2:39 pm

i noticed that the road crew carefully and considerately placed the manhole covers directly in the wheel path in the new lanes so drivers/passengers using those lanes should expect a bumpy ride for the next 100 years.
:roll:
It's not like the sewers and drains were laid out with the current lane configuration in mind. Chances are they were powerless to relocate the manholes, short of spending a lot of money to rebuild something two feet over, just so people don't have to drive on manholes...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Most of what I've seen discussed in Mpls (recently with the park/portland mill/overlay) is making sure manhole covers are flush with the driving surface.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 19th, 2012, 3:41 pm

i noticed that the road crew carefully and considerately placed the manhole covers directly in the wheel path in the new lanes so drivers/passengers using those lanes should expect a bumpy ride for the next 100 years.
They must be taking a cue from the state of the art in bike lane placement. FYI the manholes on the Cedar Lake Trail aren't close to flush with the pavement surface.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 19th, 2012, 6:15 pm

The problem is that invariably the pavement and the manhole will settle at different rates, so no matter how careful you are to get it flush, it'll be off in no time.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 19th, 2012, 7:29 pm

And when road is re-surfaced

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 19th, 2012, 10:35 pm

I don't think anyone has said this yet, but University is back fully open from the U to 280 again.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 20th, 2012, 6:42 pm

I heard the floating slabs were set in DT St. Paul today-

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 20th, 2012, 8:01 pm

The only unfinished track sections in Saint Paul, aside from crossovers, are between Western and Marion and on Cedar between 10th and 7th.