Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Lancestar2

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby Lancestar2 » November 20th, 2012, 9:21 pm

so does that mean besides the overhead wiring everything is pretty much done?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 21st, 2012, 11:49 am

No. Most of the traction power substations still need to be installed

"The remaining 13 substations will be installed at a rate of one per month over the next year, council officials said. Each substation weighs about 80,000 pounds and costs about $1 million."

Certainly no small feat.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 21st, 2012, 2:25 pm

My brother installs those- A one day job, perhaps two to several a day.
That's how I knew the slabs DT were being set.
This won't hold up being 'complete' in any way.

What of the area past Rice and above capitol??? It was dirt the last update I'd seen

mulad

Postby mulad » November 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm

I imagine it's more of a problem of delivery rather than installation -- they can only be manufactured at a certain pace. That's a lot like the problem with the light rail vehicles -- those probably won't all need to be delivered in order to begin service, but probably 3/4 or so would be good to have tested and ready. We'll probably need all of the TPSS units to be installed in order to start service, but I'd hope some testing could happen before they're all done...

Anyway, there are other wires that either need to be put in place or connected to the right stuff, particularly for signaling and for things like track switches. I've noticed that the motor boxes for the double-crossover by TPT still haven't been installed.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 21st, 2012, 7:02 pm

Yes- Transport and manufacturing- You'll also notice the cost per unit-
Why would you outlay $17 Million on items that serve zero purpose for many months (unless you're the government spending other people's money)?

The overhead lines with hangers or drops or whatever are in East of 280 for quite a distance- I'd imagine this will go relatively quickly, too.

Does anyone have a shot of University just North of capitol??? Really interested in how this got completed so quickly

mulad

Postby mulad » November 21st, 2012, 8:24 pm

Here's one shot behind the capitol from a couple of days ago. It looks like the north sidewalk reopened recently. Traffic has always been low enough along that stretch of University that they could just close it completely. They probably could have gone even faster if not for the fact they (re?)built a tunnel underneath the street and rails that connects the capitol with a parking lot across the street.

Image link

University used to be 4 lanes here (divided roadway with 2 lanes each way). Now it's just one lane each direction.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 21st, 2012, 9:45 pm

Thanks!!!!

I thought the tunnel was for the train!!!!
Thanks for clearing THAT up too!!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 21st, 2012, 11:14 pm

The tunnel was paid for with bonding, so it didn't come out of the LRT budget:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hinfo/ ... oryid=2897

Unlike the reconstruction of the roadway, which surely was a large portion of the overall budget and possibly a majority.

Here is a map of the capitol tunnel system:

http://www.admin.state.mn.us/pmd/maps/c ... system.pdf
"Who rescued whom!"

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » November 26th, 2012, 11:19 am

Thanks!!!!

I thought the tunnel was for the train!!!!
Thanks for clearing THAT up too!!
no, the train will be in a trench.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 27th, 2012, 11:25 am

Anyone know if the 19th Ave Bridge (West Bank Station) will be repainted? It would be a shame if it was not, because it looks terrible. It has dual iron-bar/chain-link fencing (the chain-link seemingly unnecessary) that has left the concrete portion rust-stained and hideous. The nearby Cedar Ave Bridge had some work done and got new sidewalks/paint in 2011 as part of that road project. This is not a pretty bridge to begin with, but the lack of maintenance really contrasts with the newness of the fancy LRT station.

http://goo.gl/maps/tTaJF

On the plus side, the roadway did go on a diet since that Streetview image was taken. It is now just one traffic lane in each direction with a wide unused double yellow lined secion in the center.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » November 28th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Hiawatha Bicycle Path between !5th Ave and 11th Ave is tentatively set to open Thursday or Friday.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mulad

Postby mulad » November 30th, 2012, 6:34 pm

According to today's newsletters, University Ave has reopened on the north side of the capitol between Rice and Robert, the north side of Washington Ave (or whatever it's called in the trench) has opened next to the West Bank station, and it looks like 29th Ave SE has fully reopened between University Ave and the UMN transitway. Aside from intermittent lane closures, I think streets are open along the entire route now, except maybe for a chunk of Cedar Street in St. Paul (the downtown St. Paul newsletter hasn't appeared yet, as far as I know -- maybe spectre000 knows).

I suppose crews were obligated to get the roads reopened again in case it snows and plows need to get through (that was the situation last year).

The Minneapolis newsletter says that the Hiawatha bike path will remain closed through 2013 though... Miscommunication?

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletin ... ETC-5f7643
http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletin ... ETC-5f9b53

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 30th, 2012, 6:45 pm

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » November 30th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Cedar is still closed between 7th and 10th. There is one lane open southbound on Cedar from 12th to 10th. The 7th and Cedar intersection should open next week (Hallelujah!). They've made a lot of progress as well on the sidewalks on Cedar too. I was thinking today to myself I may not recognize downtown next year without all the light rail construction. :lol:

Also the intersection at 4th and Broadway leading into the O&M Facility reopened. Another positive sign. That area has put up with so many starts and stops its ridiculous. The sad thing is the MetCouncil said there was a chance of seeing catenary poles erected on 4th St this year. None so far. So the area still has that hassle to contend with.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » December 1st, 2012, 6:05 pm

Poles don't seem to be an issue, from drives along University.
They're laying there one day, then a day or two later they're up.
Sometimes job trucks park on tracks, sometimes they close off a lane to park- Don't quite understand how this is decided.
There's also two rail scissor man-platform trucks that are working their way across University, they're obviously rail bound.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » December 1st, 2012, 7:46 pm

According to metrotransit.org, Cedar St. between 10th and 7th won't quite be ready to reopen next Saturday. There will still be a temporary detour for buses for about an additional week.
My flickr photos.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » December 5th, 2012, 8:56 pm

It wasn't open tonite- What was open on Cedar looked more like a goat trail.

besides the line North of university and West bank, I drove all of it.
Cedar adjacent to MPR (aforementioned), trench N of capitol, a bit just W of capitol all have insulation (I assume for controlling cement cure times) strewn all over for pours in process. Other than that, a crossover area here and there that needs ballast (or concrete) you could roll a rail car the entire distance.

Observations are that Washington Avenue Bridge is now next to worthless for auto traffic; Didn't see a single vehicle, so if you need to take a nap undisturbed ...
Central station looks just awesome, all lit up with bus stations near

It'll be a whole line very shortly

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 7th, 2012, 10:53 am

Observations are that Washington Avenue Bridge is now next to worthless for auto traffic; Didn't see a single vehicle, so if you need to take a nap undisturbed
Shhh! That's my secret route home when 94 is packed!
Yes it does!

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 7th, 2012, 11:04 am

Yes it does!
I keep trying to grab a nice night time shot of it, but my camera (or most likely the operator) sucks at night pictures. They also spread out the dirt for the surrounding "plaza". I hope they plant some trees and benches. It's a bit bare for now.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 7th, 2012, 11:16 am

Yes it does!
I keep trying to grab a nice night time shot of it, but my camera (or most likely the operator) sucks at night pictures. They also spread out the dirt for the surrounding "plaza". I hope they plant some trees and benches. It's a bit bare for now.
I went to Republic the other night, had to drive around a bit to find a space to park, I was eyeing it so hard I almost ran a red light...